Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 12-22-2018, 11:44 AM   #1
Jonnydark
Beast Machine
Question What Did You Think Of Bumblebee?? **SPOILERS**

**Spoilers**

I thought it was a good film. Not the greatest film of all time. But a really decent ride. Certainly the best Transformer Film ever made. It felt like a really well done episode of the 80s cartoon. Which was really amazing. I felt the magic of the 80s cartoon in this one. I think that's what I like most about it... It had a lot of nostalgia. I thought they used music really effectively. There were some really great moments and I actually cried at some of Charlie's scenes. She acted them really well.

Unfortunately, I was really hoping for a "Pixar" level tightness to the story and there were some logical gaps that made it fall into "Normal movie" territory. My non-transformer fan friends found errors in the movie logic that ruined the suspense for them.

I'm willing to forgive a little movie logic for a well acted, fun, relatively sane plot. I loved that there were actual robot characters. That's a first for Live Action Transformer Films.

Overall I'm happy and we FINALLY got to see a real Optimus Prime transport truck on screen! It was so rad. I loved that.

Overall I give the film 8 energon goodies out of 10.

Jonnydark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 07:03 PM   #2
Echotransformer
Loves all things G1-ish..
Re: What Did You Think Of Bumblebee?? **SPOILERS**

^^ Well said, I very much agree with your review. It was a great film, I hope to see it again.

I also hope lots of us fans go to see it, along with family and friends...I am hopeful it is profitable to the point where they will do another one, because I really like where they are going with it...

So don't hesitate everyone...go see it...you won't be disappointed.
Echotransformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 03:38 PM   #3
shazam
Generation 2
shazam's Ebay Auctions

Couldn't agree more with the first 2 posts. A great flick, the cybertron scenes, while short lived, were great. Really liked all the characters. Interested to see where they take this...i.e. kind of hoping it diverges from the original a bit to go into its own realm.
shazam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 03:58 PM   #4
Mega-Prime 316
Cybertron

I liked it and have to say it was the best live action Transformers movie of them all! I especially like the easter eggs that were scattered throughout then movie. A young Agent Simmons Ect...
Mega-Prime 316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 07:38 PM   #5
Dynamo.Dave
Too close for missiles

I was hyped beyond reason at the beginning and through the intro Cybertron scenes.
I get why you can't have a whole movie like that due to cost and such, but holy hell all the cameos, and you could recognize everyone straight up.

Absolute tingles seeing Cliffjumper, Brawn, Wheeljack, etc.
Felt a bit like a videogame intro, but super high quality.

By the scene where Bee is fumbling around in the house, breaking things, I was out of the movie entirely. I didn't get the pace, I was bored, and didn't have enough of a grasp of the overall story/point to be enthusiastic.

By the end I was alright. The final fight was good, and a suitable weight for the scope of the film (important, but not galaxy-ending stakes). Rebooting is the way to go for sure, and it was readily apparent that the goal of the movie (sequel to reboot) changed mid way through production. Imo for the better.

It was one cohesive story, which is a good changeup from the AOE/TLK pattern of having 2-3 movies jammed together, but I think I still liked DOTM the best; plot holes notwithstanding.

I am looking forward to the next one though. Haven't said that, uh, ever.

Sparktoys Grimlock
FT Stunticons
FT Aerialbots

Dynamo.Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 12:36 AM   #6
Robimus
Iacon North Scout

I thought Bumblebee was a lot of fun. I like how it bridges some gaps between G1 and the Bay films while attempting(and I think succeeding) to please both audiences.

Our title character carried the film well. Much of it is slightly reimagined angles to the character from the 2007 Bay film, but making Bee a bit more empathetic and less cocky was a good move.

Cybertron scenes were alright, bordering on good. The unresolved(at the time) Prime cliffhanger on Cybertron was kinda pointless. It needed one more flashback scene to make it cohesive.

Kinda gotta stretch a bit on the Shatter/Dropkick arc of the film logic wise. But I think I can do the stretch.

I really enjoyed all the little references. The big Judd Nelson influence. A certain Sector 7 agent cameo. All the bot cameos on Cybertron and beyond.

I liked Charlie, her character arc was well thought out. Everything she was or did made sense in the confines of the story being told. Clearly these were little Travis Knight nuances that Michael Bay isn’t good at. I liked John Cena as well, he fit in great.

I still love the 2007 Transformers film the best of the live action entries, but this fits all in well in a really fun way. Hopefully this film is successful and it leads to bigger and better things.

Visit the official TFcon Toronto website for all the details!
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 12:47 AM   #7
RNSrobot
No I'm... doesn't.
RNSrobot's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamo.Dave View Post

By the scene where Bee is fumbling around in the house, breaking things, I was out of the movie entirely. I didn't get the pace, I was bored, and didn't have enough of a grasp of the overall story/point to be enthusiastic.
Man, Why is this such a TROPE of the Bay movies (which this still has the DNA of)? Oh, those silly, naive, clumsy alien robots! CHORTLES

"YOU WIN AGAIN, GRAVITY!"
RNSrobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 03:16 AM   #8
FreightTrain
Generation 1

Loved It! The opening sequence on cybertron blew my freakin mind ... and the Voices !

Bay was named as a producer in the credits, not sure if anyone else noticed that...

It was not flawless, but it was very well done. Very entertaining.
Old 12-29-2018, 09:51 AM   #9
xueyue2
Canadian Slag

I watched the movie with my family, and I'm very glad taking my whole family with me, everyone enjoyed it, that's pretty rare for a transformers live movie.

sell/trade/wanted thread
feedback

xueyue2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 02:55 PM   #10
mcfmullen
Generation 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnydark View Post
Unfortunately, I was really hoping for a "Pixar" level tightness to the story and there were some logical gaps that made it fall into "Normal movie" territory. My non-transformer fan friends found errors in the movie logic that ruined the suspense for them.
What logical gaps exactly?
mcfmullen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bumblebee, film, review bumblebee, spoilers