Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 04-18-2015, 03:03 PM   #71
xbrawn
Banned
Re: 3rd Party Masterpieces - Just expensive fakes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimtron View Post
Third parties are not knock offs, since they are not copying a toy. 3rd parties use there own ideas to create these figures. That said, they are stealing hasbro/Takada intellectual property though, but it seems has/tak doesn't care since 3rd parties to not sell a lot and they are not taking customers away. People would probably buy a revision of my Megatron even if they had xtrans not Megatron.

All that said 3rd parties do make original transformers. like I really like make toys tanker series cause it reminds me of RID scourge or G2 Optimus, which is my favorite mold of a transformers. Like I don't see has/tak reusing these molds ever except when they charge a fortune for an mp version lol.

Or a clear crappy redeco? That costs as much as an mp
xbrawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 04:12 PM   #72
joshimus
Metroplex

*cough Platinum *cough.
joshimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 05:04 PM   #73
CanBot
Cybertron

Right or wrong or otherwise grey (or gray, I always screw that up), I can say this:

It's up to Hasbro to police whatever infringements they may feel are being made against their intellectual property (a phrase that is beginning to sound more and more ridiculous), so the consumer here benefits...that is unless some of the toys are built without having passed certain safety measures for sale in NA, I guess. They get choice, and they don't even have to feel like they're doing anything 'wrong' because if there was something 'wrong' going on, then Hasbro can worry about it. Which is what is happening right now anyway, basically.

The only 3rd party bot I would ever consider would have to be in the current post-MP10 scale. If ten years from now Hasbro haven't reissued a proper Megatron, then I'll have to fill in the void somehow. But then there's ten years I don't get to enjoy having that character on my shelf (first world problems, I know )

To be honest, a big reason I don't care much for 3rd party bots are the various discussions on QC (but it's not like Hasbro is without their own fair share of QC problems in the MP line) and the fact that they don't look 'quite' the way I'd like them too.

Apollyon, as great as he looks, just has something...missing, and I can't quite put a finger on it. Much of it has to do with how he looks next to MP10. I can put MP10 next to SW and SS and they all look like they 'belong' together...the angles, their size, so on. Apollyon (and even to some degree Quakewave), from the photos I've seen, just don't have the same effect when posed next to official MP bots...in my opinion.

The entire post-MP10 line scales very well within itself, almost like you have still-lifes of scenes from the Sunbow cartoon.

So what I'm trying to say I guess is that when the right 3rd party Megatron comes along, I'll grab it. Much in the same way that I haven't (and won't) buy the current offering from Hasbro MP05: it's just not what I want.

The whole copyright infringement and the other things ultimately pale in comparison to the above fact. But since I'm buying my MPs automatically anyway, it's not like I'd return one if I didn't like it. No matter what Tracks looks like in hand, I've already pre-ordered and will keep him no matter what. Is that too much trust in Takara?...I don't know, but ever since MP10, I haven't been disappointed in the overall design of the characters, so that's saying something.

Just more food for thought.
Old 04-20-2015, 09:13 AM   #74
joshimus
Metroplex

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanBot View Post
Apollyon, as great as he looks, just has something...missing, and I can't quite put a finger on it. Much of it has to do with how he looks next to MP10. I can put MP10 next to SW and SS and they all look like they 'belong' together...the angles, their size, so on. Apollyon (and even to some degree Quakewave), from the photos I've seen, just don't have the same effect when posed next to official MP bots...in my opinion.
They do have a different presence compared to the official lines. Still awesome though, but I do agree that as much as I love Quakewave, he feels "different" and somewhat out of place, but it also doesn't bother me, but I do see what you are saying.
You have to keep in mind, different 3P companies and different design styles, so they will feel different for that reason alone.
joshimus is offline   Reply With Quote