Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > TFcon Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 07:41 AM   #31
Super_Megatron
Instagram: colin_tfcon
Re: TFcon 2014 Guest Request thread

This year is going to be different than in the past where there will be no limit to the number of items you can get signed, and you can request anything you want on the item from the guest. The reason being that there will be a charge for autographs/photos going directly to the guests. With increasing costs to run a convention of this size, rather that increase the ticket costs, TFcon has decided to move to this same model that works well at Comic Cons and other shows like the 80s Toy Expo and Ontario Collectors Con. This way only people that are looking to get items signed rather than all attendees pay the fees, and only if you choose to. This will allow TFcon to bring in even more guests than in the past, and even bigger names in the future. An autograph from Alan Oppenheimer will be $20 at the 80s Toy Expo on May 4th.
Old 04-11-2014, 09:59 AM   #32
Knockout
I can't anymore. Done.

Pheeeeew I just heard the bombs go off. Does this mean TFcon actually expanded it's show floor? And are we going to get these costs ahead of time and who will be charging them because I ain't no bank. Preferably, would of just paid more for the ticket then cashing out individually. That's gonna cost alot more in the long run. Plus normally when guests charge, it's going into their pocket instead of the cons pocket.

As soon as we hit 100 likes we will be having a sale!

Last edited by Knockout; 04-11-2014 at 10:08 AM.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:17 AM   #33
Swalloweddark
Generation 2

I don't understand the charge for Autographs? Is the money going towards the con or the guest?

Being a causal con goer since the dawn of time I understand over the years things go up to run a convention. But Usually when Autographs are charged in Cons, mostly Comic cons, the money goes to the guest not the convention. It is the guest setting the price and the Con has nothing to do with it.

The only reason why you would need to require such an amount would mean you either expanded, costing more or you're running longer than maybe 2 days. I don't count the 80's show on Sunday because 90% of the Time it carries nothing to do with Transformers. So if your still running a 2 Day con and at the same location, wouldn't it just be smart to raise the dealer/artist prices and badge prices?

Because what I am understanding is that you are charging an extra $20 or so for 1 Autograph to help with the pricing of TF Con that means you are not raising the prices of badges from last year or the Table costs because you are getting the money else where? $20 for every autograph from 1 person would cost more than just putting a couple dollars on the badge prices or raising the tables. I am seeing this more as a money grab then just adding an extra $5 to the passes.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:24 AM   #34
Super_Megatron

The money is going directly to the guests, not the convention.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:32 AM   #35
Swalloweddark
Generation 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super_Megatron View Post
The money is going directly to the guests, not the convention.
Okay. So its the guest charging the money for the Autographs? Which makes a little more since.

However, like I asked, does that mean the prices of tickets are not going to show an increase because the con, itself, is taking 'carrying guest' off their purchase price because now they are charging individually?

So we should either see the same prices as last year or something a bit lower? This is why Comic cons are so cheap like $10 or $15 a day because they aren't carrying the guest in their budget and they source more money from Dealers/Artists.

Last edited by Swalloweddark; 04-11-2014 at 10:35 AM.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:35 AM   #36
Knockout
I can't anymore. Done.

also my question above still needs answers thar. Also is Artists going to follow this model. I'm gonna need to take out a loan at this rate uu;

As soon as we hit 100 likes we will be having a sale!

Old 04-11-2014, 10:42 AM   #37
Super_Megatron

Yes, the guests will be charging for autographs. This will allow the cost of tickets to remain the same as previous years.

Artists will continue to charge for sketches/commissions, but not autographs.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:47 AM   #38
Swalloweddark
Generation 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super_Megatron View Post
Yes, the guests will be charging for autographs. This will allow the cost of tickets to remain the same as previous years.

Artists will continue to charge for sketches/commissions, but not autographs.
Cool thats all I needed to know and work it into the budget. @_@
Old 04-11-2014, 11:02 AM   #39
Robimus
Iacon North Scout

In order to attract a certain caliber of guest an appearance fee isn't very practical for a small to mid sized convention in general.

Simply speaking, I imagine switching to a charge for autographs will allow for the possibility of getting bigger name guests in the future - or as has already been stated, more guests for a given year.

I imagine that you would not see artists charging for autographs as the vast majority don't at other conventions, with the exception of the Neil Adam's(really legendary talents) of the world.

TFcon has done an amazing job with its format over the past decade plus, but in order to grow sometimes things need to change. I personally welcome this move as I feel it is going to have a hugely positive long term impact on TFcon.

Edit: Neil Adams, not Neil Ross

Visit the official TFcon Toronto website for all the details!

Last edited by Robimus; 04-12-2014 at 10:19 AM.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:18 PM   #40
Metroplex79
Little Guy with Firepower
Question Re: TFcon 2014 Guest Request thread

Summary:

Past - 2 free autographs per line up from guests (so technically "unlimited")

Present (and moving forward) - unlimited but $20 for each autograph from higher tiered guests

This opens up the potential of increases in the future...

A team that's only a shell of its former self
Savage Blitzkrieg Squad [MIC]

Metroplex79 is a good and safe city to do business in!!! Take the tour.
These people stopped by:
Cybertron.ca feedback thread

New and old buyers welcome here:
Cybertron.ca sales thread
[CONTINUING POST-TFCON UPDATE]
(last update: Feb 12/14 @ 9:15am EST, slight edit)

Last edited by Metroplex79; 04-11-2014 at 12:46 PM.
Closed Thread