Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 06-24-2009, 01:38 PM   #1
optimusprimus
Skids and Mudflap...how does everyone feel about the racism accusations?

As i'm sure you've all heard the new york times, aint it cool news and others have accused M.Bay and others involved in making TF2 brought to the surface negative black stereotypes in their protrayal of these 2 characters..

Manohla Dargis of the New York Times said that "the characters [...] indicate that minstrelsy remains as much in fashion in Hollywood as when, well, Jar Jar Binks was set loose by George Lucas."The characters have been given ape-like appearence, speak in street-slang dialog, and confess an inability to read; one of the characters also has a gold tooth."

How does everyone feel about all this?

http://tf2cards.ca/track/refer/kqsd8myo86 --
optimusprimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 01:41 PM   #2
zuffyprime
Fortress Maximus
Re: Skids and Mudflap...how does everyone feel about the racism accusations?

totally racist, but then again, its bay.
zuffyprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 01:42 PM   #3
GMfan
Robot in Disguise

I think it's a movie

Canadian Slag ...it's a podcast. About robits. Listen to it...cuz you can't watch it.
GMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 01:58 PM   #4
BadJeff
Bite my shiny metal ass!

It's a movie... I don't subscribe to the extra drama. To me it's more "diverse" not "racist"....definitely not racist.
Old 06-24-2009, 02:02 PM   #5
silent4life
Beasty

As a "minority", I didn't think Bay was racist at all towards these characters...it's just the media trying to put hate towards Bay and Transformers. And like the above mentioned it's just a movie, who cares, there are more important things in this world to worry about than robots who are "ghetto" or talking "slang".
silent4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 02:22 PM   #6
Cheers Ian
twitter @cheersian

I personally think that they're more Stereotypical than racist.

I mean they're supposed to be the Hip-Hop bots. As far as I know there's this rapper called Eminem who's white and is as Hip-Hop as they come.

I think people read too much into stuff.

Cheers!
-Ian
Old 06-24-2009, 02:27 PM   #7
Aernaroth
Metroplex

I don't know if I'd go as far as "racist". I'd probably be willing to say it was in poor taste, however.
Aernaroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 02:30 PM   #8
onecoin
Banned

I would be in the just a movie crowd, but this film is clearly being marketed to kids. And young ones, look at the toys. RPM's and Gravity Bots. These are some of the youngest target audience toys ever for transformers. And its not just the racial stereotyping, whether it be the the unwillingness to read, obvious ineptitude, showing of thier grillz, using "bitch," "pussy," or wanting to get up in particular asses. Then there's the slow motion strip tease that is Megan Fox, and the handful of jokes that go with that.

I would like to say its just another movie, but its a marketing bonanza, of the level of Star Wars, Pokemon, or TMNT.

"Just a Movie"'s don't have toy lines with thier own launch dates, multiplatform video games, a series of prequel comics, coinciding completely series dvd releases, freezer pops, M & M's, consistent TV shows, multi-station cartoon marathons, multiple TV ad trailers, branded Lollies, bubble bath, sculpable foam soap, bath dyes, M&M portable fans, etc. Its literally in escapable. The movie is obviously not for little kids, but that is so not the message I get when I walk into WM.

Right or Wrong or IDC, at least by talking about it parents and guardians can prepare themselves when thier kids enevitably watch movie and ask "Why is Devastator a Mother F$%&er?"
onecoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 02:41 PM   #9
jjwankenobi
Midichlorian Count Zero

Yeesh...it's only entertainment, people.

On the flip side of the coin why isn't anyone claiming Bay glorifies war or is sexist due to the lingering butt and cleavage shots???

Jar Jar and the Twins are merely devices used to reel in the kiddies. Heck, the whole movie is a juvenile fantasy, and not some art house flick!

Are the Twins annoying? Yep.

Are they offensive? Only if you're looking to be offended.

jjwankenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 03:03 PM   #10
Magnimus
Alternator

I'm usually very aware and offended when traits the mass culture defines as "black" or "urban" (which is code for black) are used in films to demean or create humour when applied to nonhuman characters. Jazz was pretty cringe-worthy when he spoke.

However, Skids and Mudflap didn't bother me. They didn't seem to come across as racial stereotypes as much as cultural stereotypes. With so many kids of various ethnicities adopting an "urban" style and manner of speaking, it's become a style somewhat removed from a strict tie to the black community.

Mudflap and Skids felt more like two kids trying to be "cool" or "hard" by mimicking a cultural stereotype. It's still not cool that anyone who speaks as they do and uses the slang that they do is always portrayed as stupid; however, I think they're far enough removed from characters like Jazz or the Dumbo Crows of old to be strictly a racial stereotype.