Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers Feedback and Reviews

Old 06-24-2009, 01:53 PM   #51
NFossil
Generation 1
Re: (SPOILERS ALLOWED) Transformers RoTF Your Reviews

Just back.
I can see nothing wrong with the movie. People seem to follow the joke, the suspense, the action, sad moments, etc. Great applause at the end.
NFossil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 02:03 PM   #52
SamiWCP
Alternator

It's one of the funny things about movies..People just seem to want to FIND something wrong with it..HAVE to find something wrong with it. I don't like going into movies like that. I go in accepting what I'm about to see. It's how you get taken into their world. It's how they get my money. If you walk into Confessions of a Shopaholic, you know they type of movie you're going to see. If you walk into a movie about fighting alien robots, you know what you're going to see. It won't be poetic or Shakespear--It's why Ang Lee didn't do so wel lon the Hulk movie. Just let it be what it's supposed to be, and you can enjoy it that much more..Or, don't bother spending your money on that movie if you want it to be something else. Also funny, you read a lot of the reviews on like rottentomatos etc..and length is the most commented on, everyone saying it's too long and bad, yet they all stayed. No one got up and walked out early. It's just entertaining. Go there, and be entertained people!

And as for
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Ro View Post
I'm going to have to disagree that weed jokes, dog humping jokes, and a giant robot farting are "mature, adult humour."
Don't be "that" person. You know what I meant.

Last edited by SamiWCP; 06-24-2009 at 02:06 PM.
SamiWCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 02:09 PM   #53
zuffyprime
Fortress Maximus
tf2 movie rotf

hey guys,

just saw tf rotf yesterday, and wanted to share my thoughts/ opinions.

mods- if this discussion has started in another area, and I have missed it, pls move this post. thx

Keep in mind there are Minor spoilers here... not enough to ruin the movie though.

My thoughts:
One of the worst movies I've ever seen.

Reasons:
1) no plot - or at least a really crappy one, that was so loosly tied together, it was just incredibly uncaptivating

2) no character development - several of the characters had no lines at all, and the few that did talk only said one or two lines. As a result you couldn't connect or get to know the characters, or feel anything for them, with the exception of maybe optimus prime.

3) no depth - no layering, no personality. completely one-dimentional. No buy - in from the audience, no connection.

4) Low brow humour
I didn't need to see transformers farting, and snot coming out of their nose, and I certainly didn't need to see a transformer humping megan's leg

5) Language
Not that I mind it, but it seemed senseless and unnecessary. Just seemed crass. Is good as a tool to express a point, but they just seemed to add it it b/c they thought it was "cool"

6) What was up with devestator being formed, and then you had little devestator bits (individual robots still going around and figthing people when they were supposed to be IN devestator.

7) NO iconic music or background overtures.
8) No g1 homage lines, or references

Sad, b/c I like the writers, but this movie just stunk up the joint in my opinion.
just as an fyi, this is just my two cents.
don't want to debate or get into an arguement with anyone, just wanted to share.
Pls feel welcome to do the same, would love to hear what other thought!
cheers,
cj
zuffyprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 02:22 PM   #54
RNSrobot
No I'm... doesn't.
RNSrobot's Ebay Auctions

You stated that the movie had had humour which was "more adult," and that you didn't need your comedy to "be for kids," and that you enjoyed the comedy. That is your fair opinion, but I disagree with the assessment. Personally, I wasn't surprised at Bay and the writers throwing in some juvenile humour, but wow. I didn't find those bits funny, and thought that there were far too many of them. I was thoroughly embarrassed by Wheelie humping Mikaela's leg. I did get a snicker out of Devastator's scrotum thanks to Turturro's delivery, but felt the joke was pretty out of place in the middle of an epic battle.

I didn't go into the movie looking to find things wrong with it, nor did I expect more than an action-packed popcorn flick. Neither did I walk out saying WOW THAT WAS AWESOME. I'm glad you enjoyed it without reservations, and that the comedy worked for you; that is your fair opinion, which you are entitled to. I did not enjoy the movie wholeheartedly and did not laugh at the intended comedy. Just a different opinion. I do not understand why you felt the need to imply that I am "that" person (clearly a negative, but ambiguous and not really interested in dissecting it) for expressing an opinion different from yours. And ultimately you are free to disregard my opinion; I'm just another dude on a message board. Discussion is fair, but we both took entirely differently things out of the film and will not likely agree, you know?

Last edited by RNSrobot; 06-24-2009 at 02:26 PM.
RNSrobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 02:28 PM   #55
Nugundam2.0
Beasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomGundam View Post
As per Protoman's suggestion, here's a pic of (some of) the guys in Montreal who watched Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen at the AMC Forum at 7:00pm.

This is probably not the best place to put the pic, but no one could really think of any other better thread to put it in...
sorry but im compelled to say this. I can only see one of you ever touching a woman. This is why this kind of entertainment slop does so well
Nugundam2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 02:29 PM   #56
Cheers Ian
twitter @cheersian

You wanna know what was really lame?

Devastator Testicles.

Cheers!
-Ian
Old 06-24-2009, 02:33 PM   #57
onecoin
Banned

Quote:
Discussion is fair, but we both took entirely differently things out of the film and will not likely agree, you know?
Well said.

No offense to either of you as I have read many of Post from both of you and respect them all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cky_ibm View Post
You wanna know what was really lame?

Devastator Testicles.

Cheers!
-Ian
Yeah, and it not like they put and in there and hoped you find it. The made a whole show if it, like they were proud they thought of it.

Last edited by onecoin; 06-24-2009 at 02:39 PM.
onecoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 02:42 PM   #58
SamiWCP
Alternator

Quote:
You stated that the movie had had humour which was "more adult," and that you didn't need your comedy to "be for kids," and that you enjoyed the comedy. That is your fair opinion, but I disagree with the assessment. Personally, I wasn't surprised at Bay and the writers throwing in some juvenile humour, but wow. I didn't find those bits funny, and thought that there were far too many of them. I was thoroughly embarrassed by Wheelie humping Mikaela's leg. I did get a snicker out of Devastator's scrotum thanks to Turturro's delivery, but felt the joke was pretty out of place in the middle of an epic battle.

I didn't go into the movie looking to find things wrong with it, nor did I expect more than an action-packed popcorn flick. Neither did I walk out saying WOW THAT WAS AWESOME. I'm glad you enjoyed it without reservations, and that the comedy worked for you; that is your fair opinion, which you are entitled to. I did not enjoy the movie wholeheartedly and did not laugh at the intended comedy. Just a different opinion. I do not understand why you felt the need to imply that I am "that" person (clearly a negative, but ambiguous and not really interested in dissecting it) for expressing an opinion different from yours. And ultimately you are free to disregard my opinion; I'm just another dude on a message board. Discussion is fair, but we both took entirely differently things out of the film and will not likely agree, you know?

I wasn't referring to your opinion of the movie, just how you were taking my use of mature/adult humor where as you wanted to call it childish. The humor, while crude, was more adult in nature and material, than that of a childs movie/Disney type thing.
SamiWCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 02:44 PM   #59
Aernaroth
Metroplex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugundam2.0 View Post
sorry but im compelled to say this. I can only see one of you ever touching a woman. This is why this kind of entertainment slop does so well
Keep it clean. If you want to take some shots at the movie, go for it, but its generally bad form to flame other board members.

As for my thoughts on the movie... *sigh*, where to begin... I'm probably going to forget stuff, and a lot has already been covered, but let's give it a try.

Firstly, I was entertained. The battle sequences were less undiscernable than the first film, more exciting, and the special effects seemed to look a little better, in my opinion (of course, it was IMAX and there's always the possibility I'll notice things if I see the movie again). It also seemed like there was better use of the real life scenery to obscure some parts of the fights, as well as to show the size and mass of the robots.

Also, the writing was an improvement in terms of not having a completely useless human subplot. All of the story seemed to relate back to the main plotline, which was one of my biggest issues with the first movie. However, the story was jumbled, long, and relied too heavily on plot devices (ok, the movie is about the Allspark shard now. Now its about the Matrix! Now its about the Sun Harvester!). Furthermore, the storyline again, didn't follow the Transformers as much as it followed Sam and the Army. Now, I don't particularly mind Shia's performance, but still, it irked me to basically have the movie be Sam's journey, along with his hot sidekick and the various other characters who come into the movie for a few minutes, only to leave so the next group can enter for their scene. Even his relationship with Bumblebee, which was something I actually liked in the first movie, was really toned down in this one.

Which brings me to my next issue with the film, the fact that, as CJ said, there was almost no characterization for any of the transformers (or most of the humans, for that matter). I imagine its hard to really portray a character, when they only have a few minutes of screen time at a time, and most of that is spent punching another robot, but it really bothered me that for the Autobots from the last movie, there seemed to be absolutely no growth over what we already knew about them. For the new Autobots, there was even less, and for many of the Decepticons, we didn't even get names. For a franchise like Transformers, where one of its greatest strengths is the strong development of unique, individual characters, it felt like a mistake to have the Decepticons be populated by legions of identical clones whose only purpose is to be maimed/killed and have another copy reappear in the next scene. I know that a larger cast was one of the big selling points for this film, but it felt like they just part of the scenery, not the cast. Maybe some of the plot could have been simplified in order to accomodate better character development instead? Or possibly cut out some of the superfluous military technology sequences? Who am I kidding, its Michael Bay, those aren't going anywhere.

The music was allright, I suppose, although I wasn't particularly fond of Linkin Park being an integral part of the score.

I was a bit irritated by the heavier reliance on "blue" humor, from the bodily function jokes to Sam's mother (who I felt was overused as a comic device) to the street-talkin twins, but I guess those in charge felt it was important to push the envelope from the first movie, where that kind of humor was well received.

So in short, it was a fun movie to watch, but not to really sit down and think about, and not a cinematic masterpiece by any stretch of the imagination.

Last edited by Aernaroth; 06-24-2009 at 03:07 PM.
Aernaroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 02:47 PM   #60
Magnimus
Alternator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoman View Post
Also Scorponok got KILLED this time around (By Bee)
Just got back from the movie, and, actually, it's Jetfire that squashes Scorp. The reason Jetfire is so beat up at the end is because we see Scorponok tear into him and then Jetfire squashes his head.

I enjoyed the movie but it's not perfect. Although there is some better camera work and longer shots of the bots, there's still a lot of shaky cam.

There's also a lot that's not explained in the movie that, if you went into it cold as a non-Transformers fan with only a few viewings of the first film, would make no sense.

For example, why do the Constructicons kill one of their own under the ocean? Presumably it's to use the parts to remake Megatron, but we never SEE that. In the next shot we see The Doctor plunge something into Megatron's chest and he's up and at'em. Later, when Blackout shows up, it's confusing. Again, presumably he was revived but we never see this. Or is a new bot that just looks identical and has the identical alt mode (REPAINT!)?

Also, its seems that the the movie verse Constructicons all have clones. Longhaul and Mixmaster, who we see only in robot mode, are tromping around looking for Sam while another green dump truck and cememt mixer (which we never see in robot mode) combine into Devestator. Devestator is climbing the pyramid at the exact same time Longhaul and Mixmaster are fighting the soldiers.

Are we to beleive then that Devestator's parts have no seperate robot modes at all? But his parts all have identical modes to those of the other Decepticon construction bots?

There's a lot of blink and miss'em robots (Arcee bots and Jolt) that serve nothing in the story and only confuse the audience.

The plot though, which is slim and kind of hokey, is explained quite ham-fistedly by Jetfire but at least makes movie-logic sense.

I actually think that the humour was better in this movie. I did not appreciate the seven or so shots and jokes about humping (that's so juvenile and repetitive) but Skids, Mudflap, Wheelie, and Jetfire do get some funny lines. John Turturro is actually pretty funny in this movie too in an off-the-wall kind of way that balances out the ridiculous action sequences.

I don't regret seeing the movie, because I'm a Transformers fan and really enjoyed the effects and the emphasis on the robots speaking. However, I can see why people would feel this movie is boring or too bloated for its own good.