Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers Customs and Artwork

Old 05-17-2009, 02:44 PM   #11
chans formers
raff ow roud
Re: hydrogen peroxide vs sun fading tested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aernaroth View Post
Does it damage the rubsymbols? Decals? Does it strip paint apps?

Why do you have the two different concentrations of hydrogen peroxide? What solution level did you end up doing? Has anyone messed around to see if there's a critical/optimal solution level?

Either way, great job!

The sun, the cause of, and solution to, our fading problems!
rub symbols remain undamaged.it comes out the same condition as it went in.even if your rub symbol is half peeled back and only half still changes color,when it comes out it will still change color.
it hasnt stripped paint off for me yet,except if the original paint has a crack in it(or spider webbing,which basically means that paint job is going to fall off sooner or later).if you look at the fire engine micro dude look at his crotch.before he went into the bath he had a chunk of paint missing.after,when i was rinsing him,more paint from the same area came off as i was scrubbing with a toothbrush.
the reason for 2 concentrations was i originally started testing with 3% -10 vol. which worked but then i got impatient.i tried adding the 6%-20 vol. just to give the soup a little extra kick.it did seem to speed it up a bit but it means you also have to go and stir/move your parts more often.i asked the pharmacist guy at shoppers and he said if i mixed 3% with 6% i end up with 4%.whuh??i dont get how that works out like that but the solution i used is a mix of both,3qtr's 3% and 1qtr 6%.

Last edited by chans formers; 05-17-2009 at 02:55 PM.
chans formers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 03:08 PM   #12
Aernaroth
Metroplex

Quote:
Originally Posted by chans formers View Post
.i asked the pharmacist guy at shoppers and he said if i mixed 3% with 6% i end up with 4%.whuh??i dont get how that works out like that but the solution i used is a mix of both,3qtr's 3% and 1qtr 6%.
3% + 6% (let's use 100ml each, for example):

3ml H2O2 + 97ml H2O + 6ml H2O2 + 94ml H20
= 9ml H2O2 + 191ml H2O
= 4.5 % H2O2

(this is assuming vol%. not mol% or wt%. I would expect it to have a slightly higher wt%, due to the extra oxygen atom.)

Has anyone tried using heat as opposed to sunlight as an energy source (a heating blanket on low, for example)? What about stirring more often vs. less often?
Aernaroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 04:09 PM   #13
bluefrenzy
Generation 2

Wow! That looks great! That sundamage was extreme ... looked almost as if Hungurr was supposed to be yellow!
bluefrenzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 05:03 PM   #14
Megamould
Dipstick Tapedeck

This is great! Now to find a jar I can fit a Fort Max into..
Megamould is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 05:28 PM   #15
CobraCommander
ありがとう任天堂 ಠ_ಠ

Chans_formers... you are my Hero!
G.I.Joe Figures - Hisstank

Feedback Threads:
Cybertron.ca
CobraCommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 06:34 PM   #16
Retread
Machine War

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aernaroth View Post
3% + 6% (let's use 100ml each, for example):

3ml H2O2 + 97ml H2O + 6ml H2O2 + 94ml H20
= 9ml H2O2 + 191ml H2O
= 4.5 % H2O2

(this is assuming vol%. not mol% or wt%. I would expect it to have a slightly higher wt%, due to the extra oxygen atom.)

Has anyone tried using heat as opposed to sunlight as an energy source (a heating blanket on low, for example)? What about stirring more often vs. less often?
There's a group called Retr0brite that have come up with a recipe for a gel. There's also some intreresting info on the reaction that causes the yellowing on their page http://retr0bright.wikispaces.com/

Seems to be a UV induced reaction with a fire retardant additiv ein most plastics of the era. It's the UV in sunlight that's kick starting the reversal reaction, not the heat. (At least I think people are having the same results using a black light.) It does seem that the reaction causes a fair bit of heat though, which may be why chans had issues with plastic containers.

They also mention a UV protetective clear coat after the fact to prevent the yellowing from reocurring.
Retread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 02:42 PM   #17
Aernaroth
Metroplex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retread View Post
There's a group called Retr0brite that have come up with a recipe for a gel. There's also some intreresting info on the reaction that causes the yellowing on their page http://retr0bright.wikispaces.com/

Seems to be a UV induced reaction with a fire retardant additiv ein most plastics of the era. It's the UV in sunlight that's kick starting the reversal reaction, not the heat. (At least I think people are having the same results using a black light.) It does seem that the reaction causes a fair bit of heat though, which may be why chans had issues with plastic containers.

They also mention a UV protetective clear coat after the fact to prevent the yellowing from reocurring.
Now THAT'S interesting.
Aernaroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 08:39 PM   #18
OneShallFall
FoxtrotUnicornCharlieKilo

This has got to be the best thing I have read all day.THANK YOU for saving poor guys like me.
Old 05-20-2009, 12:56 PM   #19
JLvatron
Chosen 1

This is so cool! Thank you Chans F!

JLvatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 08:34 AM   #20
tusko
Classic

Questions:
Can you leave it in too long? Can the peroxide treatment be over done?
I have a yellowed Jetfire. I don't want to take him apart, but can put him in a beaker large enough to immerse him. Does this sound reasonable if I leave him like that for a week?
tusko is offline   Reply With Quote