Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers Customs and Artwork

Old 11-23-2007, 07:16 PM   #1
Skylynx
Robot Master
Skylynx's Ebay Auctions
How to rePaint a transformers such as Binaltech or MP Starscream

Hi all,

1- I was wondering if someone can help me how to repaint an Binaltech or MP Starscream?
2- What are the steps?
3- What kind of paint should I use?
4- Where can I have a good deal getting paint or brush or anything that I need?
5- What advice can you give me?

Thanks all, really appreciated!!
Skylynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 08:16 PM   #2
GMfan
Robot in Disguise
Re: How to rePaint a transformers such as Binaltech or MP Starscream

Try asking this in the customization forum at the top or PM Dak, Us and Them, or TheTransTorture. I know they'll know the answer. There are many different ways to repaint, you can remove paint with rubbing alcohol and I use testor's paint to repaint.
GMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 10:24 PM   #3
dak
Master Creator

First I'm going to move this to the customizing forum.

Second, I will give you a rough idea of the steps involved, And for more research, look in my customizing thread. Also an article on paint will come up in the forum at some point.

your steps:

1. Take the toy apart
2. Prepare the surface by removing stickers, un nescessary paint, and the clear coat with rubbing alcohol or nail polish remover and a cotton swab. Just dab lightly because sometimes the liquid can eat away at the plastic.
3. prime your surface. Best to use is Krylon Primer.
4. Paint your surface. my personal best types of paint to use are car paints.
5. Details. For smaller area's and special paint techniques, use Testors paints.
6. Seal with a clear coat.
7. Put figure back together.

alcohols can be found at Shoppers, Krylon and car paints at Canadian Tire and Testors and models can be found at Hobby and craft stores.
dak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 11:59 PM   #4
TTT
OutOfCommissionToys.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylynx View Post
Hi all,

1- I was wondering if someone can help me how to repaint an Binaltech or MP Starscream?
2- What are the steps?
3- What kind of paint should I use?
4- Where can I have a good deal getting paint or brush or anything that I need?
5- What advice can you give me?

Thanks all, really appreciated!!
If you've never done it before then practicing is your best bet...I know it sounds lame but it might be in your best interest to try painting a model car body (or a couple) first so you can get a basic idea of just how tricky it can be - no sense in trial & error on your expensive to replace TFs, right ?
Most folks have different methods so the method I use isn't necessarily "the best" it's just what I've learned and stuck with for about 10 years but other methods will work just as well if you practice them.
Here are some things you should know before you start repainting your TF's...
All plastic must be stripped of paint (I use the Alch. 99% behind the drug store counter) and then thoroughly cleaned and allowed to dry.
Most of us use spray paint, it MUST be used on a warm/hot DRY day - you cannot go outside and start spraying tonight.
You must either wait for that weather to arrive or spray inside under heated conditions in a dry environment and I CANNOT stress enough....
* WELL VENTILATED AREA * no matter where you decide to spay you need to use a (proper)mask otherwise you'll be cleaning paint outta your nostrils ....etc.
Spray paint must be applied in light coats, (see directions on can), this is one of the hardest parts because just a little too much at once will cause problems.
You will need a clean area to let the parts dry once painted.
A good place to find supplies is Michaels (craft store), any hobby shop(ask questions while your there !) or Wal-Mart(grab a set of masks in their AUTO paint section....not the interior/house paint section).

If I were to paint a model car body I would:
Wash it in warm soapy water and rinse well, let dry.
Set it up so you can paint it without having to touch it, (I take a water bottle with double sided tape on the cap and rest the ceiling of the car body on the cap, now you can hold the bottle in your hand with the car able to rotate and spray without touching it - see pics below) apply 1 light coat all over(called a mist coat)...light meaning literally a "dusting" of paint - let it sit 5 - 15 min. and repeat until the car has only enough paint to cover up all the plastic then you can do a slightly heavier coat(called a gloss coat) to finish off. Gloss coats can are usually 1 - 3 coats.
I would start this process with Auto primer spay, then use Testors hobby spray and sometimes I might use a gloss coat(Testors).
I'd let it dry about a week before I touch it - literally.
Never fire the spray can directly at your target to start, target should be centered in front of you and you should start spraying from far left and work your way towards your far right.
For now, this should give you an idea of how/when to start.
I could stay up all night with this but...gotta go.....

TTT

Last edited by TTT; 11-24-2007 at 12:10 AM.
TTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 02:55 AM   #5
Skylynx
Robot Master
Skylynx's Ebay Auctions

1- Thanks for the great tips people!
2- I was wondering how my thread move to the good section ...weird....
3- Can U give me an ideal of the price of all...paint, testor, everything that I should know?
Thanks again!!
Skylynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 03:04 AM   #6
SamiWCP
Alternator

You can find some decent stuff like just at your local Walmart..Target doesn't do much with paint, and Walmart has Krylon and Testors, as well as some good assortments of brushes back in their craft section--It's not girly to go back into crafts..They can be your friend too. You can buy a good assortment back of brushes to try out for 5$ The Krylon paint generally runs about 4$
SamiWCP is offline   Reply With Quote