Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 09-12-2016, 12:52 AM   #1
Watari
The Seeker
Torn between Fansproject Function X and Titan Returns

Hello fellow collectors/board members,

I am not sure if this or any similar subject has been posted here in the forums but just as the title states I am torn between the two. I currently own Fansproject Function X: Code, Smart Robin, UUUU, Browning II, Sigma L, and Crox but none of the Titan Returns main headmasters. I am tempted to sell off the FP Fx figures and start getting the TR main headmasters to add into my collection. I know the two series has their pros and cons. But I would like to know what are your inputs. Whether if I should be patient and wait for the other Fx head masters to come out or sell them off and start buying the Titan Returns head masters. Also price does matter to me as I cannot afford to collect both Fx and TR at the same time. I am also aware that FP is going to make their own versions of Hardhead, Snapdragon and Apeface.
Watari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 01:43 AM   #2
Msol
Titanium
Re: Torn between Fansproject Function X and Titan Returns

I'm considering selling my complete F(x) set. They're good figures, for the most part, but the price difference is starting to hurt (I'm also buying TR figures).

The last three F(x) figures have been pretty disappointing, but I think they might be on an upswing pretty soon.

Makes for a pretty tough decision.
Msol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 01:49 AM   #3
Larkhainan
Robot in Disguise

I own both, I enjoy both, I'll collect both to completion.

Anyway - FansProject has, recently anyway, only shown colored test shots for Dai-Z and LER-05. It is pretty unlikely there's any Fx figure coming out until at least the middle of 2017, given how long the turn around time on Browning was... So you'd probably not really be collecting them at the 'same time' unless you want to keep going on TR once it is done with the main headmasters and into stuff like Doublecross and the rumored Kup, Perceptor, etc.

And that's assuming FP isn't just straight up putting it on hold for a while.

But if you plan to sell, I don't think you'll get a great return on selling FX stuff now.
Larkhainan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 01:49 AM   #4
alternatorfan
g1 baby

Youll never get what you paid my advice
Just start collecting tr as they are good and youll basically get all the g1 representations
alternatorfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 04:18 AM   #5
Sun Swipe Prime
Canadian Slag

If you skip buying one FP figure you can use that money to buy like 4-5 TR deluxes. Maybe mix and match the best of each line.
Old 09-12-2016, 04:35 AM   #6
Chigimus
Masterpiece

For me, I'm not really committed to completing a series of headmasters by the same manufacturer necessarily as much as it's more about getting the best interpretation of a character.

As nice as HasTak's headmasters are, they are a bit small to me to fit in with the rest of the CHUG collection as the G1 toon intended them to be voyager sized characters. Also, TR headmasters really only shine when you look at them straight on from the front. From the side, you can see some arms and legs are hollowed out depending on the character and the overall profile from the side for many of them seem kind of flat.

If cost isn't much of a concern to you, the 3rd party headmasters for CHUG displays (both by Fansproject and Toyworld) have better proportions to me and the right scale.

As it stands, my headmasters are mix n' match teams:

Skullcruncher: Toyworld's Swamper (didn't like FP's robot feet and chest designs, also wasn't beefy enough of a croc/alligator to sell me on it)
Weirdwolf: FP's Quad U
Mindwipe: will likely settle for Hasbro as a stand-in
Apeface & Snapdragon: Waiting for the FP releases

Brainstorm: FP's Smart Robin (love his transformation design)
Hardhead: TW's Hardbone
Chromedome: FP's Code (X0)
Highbrow: settling for Hasbro as a stand-in again as the asymmetry of FP's Browning wasn't for me, although I can understand and accept their reasons for that due to its transformation design)
Chigimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 11:40 PM   #7
Watari
The Seeker

Thank you all for giving me your insight. I have come to a decision to stick with Fansproject Fx series and will wait patiently on FP Hardhead to come out so I can complete the main headmasters. Hopefully Fansproject Fx series will get completed and not get dropped.
Watari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 10:40 AM   #8
Pascal
Banned

I'm getting at least all the FP Headmasters. I really hope Maketoys does them all too, but I doubt it will happen, they're going in all directions right now.
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 10:43 AM   #9
wervenom
Big Daddy
wervenom's Ebay Auctions

I'm going to stick with TR. For the money (especially on sale) they are good enough for the classics collection I have
wervenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 11:53 AM   #10
Rodimus Prime1
Ride in Style

Was in the same boat

Have all the FP - X's , did pick up Has HH to fill the gap for now, a pretty good figure, but smaller than FP and no quit the same quality/eng. Also the hollow parts on Hasbro's lower leg bug me, it would have been better if they were on the back of the leg not the side.

I think the bigger delemia for me is the new FT masterpiece series HM., but I only have so much room not much more the the FP deluxe sizes

Wants: >

Feedback

Collection

Last edited by Rodimus Prime1; 09-16-2016 at 11:56 AM.
Rodimus Prime1 is offline   Reply With Quote