Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 05-23-2011, 11:25 AM   #1
Gaetznes
Cassetticon
Ethics

For the sake of the conversation, will say that website sells reproduction products. I personally have no desire to buy the reproduction toys. However What I am stuck on is, the reproduction packaging.

Pros: Till I can get my hands on the real thing, it might be nice to have them in repro boxes/packaging.

Cons: The Repro packaging is to similar to the athentic. The last thing I'd want is to a few years down the road sell off said KO box thinking and tell them its authentic.

Alternatives: I could get some stickers made that say Custom Box, Custom Foam Insert, Custom Bubble Insert. But again the chances are still out there even if I sold them as Ko's some one could just remove the stickers and try to scam someone else.

Conclusion: However much i'd like to get the boxes to make my toys look that much more"Awsomenerr" (I know its not a word), its just not worth the risk of miss conceptions. Or forgetting which is which (Real vs Fake).
Old 05-23-2011, 12:11 PM   #2
bedtime
Nexus Maximus
Re: Ethics

its not the fault of the company making the boxes if you cant keep your own shit organized, is it?
bedtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 12:31 PM   #3
Gaetznes
Cassetticon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedtime View Post
its not the fault of the company making the boxes if you cant keep your own shit organized, is it?
Ouch, man sounds like your trying to make it personal or something lol.

But really, Dude thats not what i'm getting at. I'm actually a little crazy about keeping everything writen down. LOL Have over 46 spread sheets just to keep my G1 to Current Transformes organized by series, year released, alliance, Has, Tak, box, no box, paper work, place of origin, how many I have, versions parts and the list goes on. Plus some cross reference between those Sheets. I just used my self as a example to start a conversation. Its about considerations, human behaviour.

I'm asking about ethics about reproductions/ko and people pawning them off as Orginal. Hence the title of the thread. Sorry for any confusion on the matter, i guess I should have made that more clear.
Old 05-23-2011, 12:35 PM   #4
GMfan
Robot in Disguise

The ethics about it?

...umm...it's wrong to pass off Repro/KOs as the real deal.

Canadian Slag ...it's a podcast. About robits. Listen to it...cuz you can't watch it.
GMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 01:25 PM   #5
jourdo
Twitter: @jourdo2k3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMfan View Post
The ethics about it?

...umm...it's wrong to pass off Repro/KOs as the real deal.
Yup.

Otherwise, I have no problem with Repro's/KO's if you want the piece for your collection. Just don't try to pass it off as something it is not.

TFCC Runamuck x 3 Achieved! Now looking for Lego Ninjago NRG Jay for Christmas. If you can help, let me know.
jourdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 01:45 PM   #6
razin
Canadian Slag
Send a message via MSN to razin

I also have no issue with KO/Unofficial Replicas if its for your own collection and not for resale as original. For some of us the high qual KO's are the best way to get a pristine condition TF for a fraction of the cost and that its unlikely Has/Tak will ever reissue some.

Anyone who looks to profit from KO's by claiming they are real should rot in hell. Douchebags.

I have a few KO's myself but over time may replace them with originals/official reissues. I have already done so with Red Alert.

I have also noticed KO's are starting to flood ebay again. It appeared ebay had been able to crack down it for awhile but I'm coming across many "Replica G1's" recently.
razin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 02:14 PM   #7
justprime
Animated

Some people have no idea that there Ko's if your not into TFs you see the box and assume it to be genuine thus if you resell it you are not trying to rip people,... you just don't know thats all,... I recently picked up a KO voyager class rotf prime clear with gold trim (just liked the piece kinda cool) and its box was almost the exact copy of a real one,.. I say exact as I had an original to compare it to,... but to put it simply it would have fooled any one not familar with the Ko stuff... I believe that its cruddy to sell if you know and try to pass it off as real,... but I have to wonder how many think they have bought a real tf when what they have is a ko look at how many KO G1 primes are out there and out of box vary hard to tell from the real deal unless you know what to look for
justprime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 03:22 PM   #8
Tekkamanraiden
G1 Original
Tekkamanraiden's Ebay Auctions

Reproductions and Knock offs are two very different things.

Feedback http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=19772
Tekkamanraiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 03:57 PM   #9
Akroyer
Nexus Maximus

I have no problems with KOs either as long their not being passed off as originals. I have a few pieces, and wouldn't if they weren't available as high quality KOs. The authentic ones are no longer readily available, and quite expensive.

As long as everyone is up front about it I don't see any problems.

Akroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 05:16 PM   #10
Protoman
The Legend

Not only is it wrong, but if you get any flak or worst from it. You deserve it all. Nothing BURNS me more then someone trying to pass off a repro as the real deal.

It originally started with people taking Transformers Classics UK (the UK releases of 1991 of G1 toys in gold boxes) and putting them in G1 boxes passing them as the originals complete, aside from the date stamp on the toy, you would have no idea when buying it (specially online) and more people go ignorant for the rest of the toys ownership knowing it's not the real deal.

If anyone ANYONE pulls that shit on me....... let's just say you will never want to collect toys ever again if I get my hands on you.
Follow Protoman on TWITTER - Protoman http://twitter.com/Protoman
Protoman is offline   Reply With Quote