Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Canadian Transformers News

Old 04-04-2013, 09:54 AM   #11
Sam
Banned
Re: Win MP Smokescreen & $500 in Prizes in ShelfLife Collector Wars Season 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by chovner View Post
Some people just have more free time to help build the site than others I guess. Some of it gets out of hand though... My buddy who helped curate the Kreo/Kreon catalogue said someone submitted pics of every single Kreo piece... How's the curator supposed to even know if they're all the right pieces?

But then you look at a site like seibertron.com and their pic galleries for each figure are massive, so really I'm just complaining because I don't have the free time to devote to this... lol
IT doesn't give anyone a chance to win who has regualr life commitments like a job or family. Honestly, the pics shouldn't even count for points until a curator approves them and then adds them.
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:56 AM   #12
wervenom
Big Daddy
wervenom's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
IT doesn't give anyone a chance to win who has regualr life commitments like a job or family. Honestly, the pics shouldn't even count for points until a curator approves them and then adds them.
I think that is a solid idea
wervenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:50 AM   #13
Sam
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wervenom View Post
I think that is a solid idea
Just think about how long it takes to go through and delete all the junk photos. I mean honestly, we don't need a picture of G1 Soundwave from every angle possible. We all know wtf he looks like.
Old 04-04-2013, 11:01 AM   #14
wervenom
Big Daddy
wervenom's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
Just think about how long it takes to go through and delete all the junk photos. I mean honestly, we don't need a picture of G1 Soundwave from every angle possible. We all know wtf he looks like.
True but as mentioned earlier do u do what seibertron.com does or not? Also this is jumping slightly off since the initial questions weren't answered. Who ever won anything? I know I've been up there is S1 and S4 but we have never had a statement on the boards as to who placed where officially, who had best profile pics per month or bonuses or anything.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:36 PM   #15
SeanOfStone
Generation 1

Quote:
True but as mentioned earlier do u do what seibertron.com does or not? Also this is jumping slightly off since the initial questions weren't answered. Who ever won anything? I know I've been up there is S1 and S4 but we have never had a statement on the boards as to who placed where officially, who had best profile pics per month or bonuses or anything.
They've made announcements through their facebook page for most of the seasons of collector wars, including best profile pic and most bought/sold I believe.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:00 PM   #16
wervenom
Big Daddy
wervenom's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanOfStone View Post
They've made announcements through their facebook page for most of the seasons of collector wars, including best profile pic and most bought/sold I believe.

Interesting. As I can only see s4 and don't bother with Facebook at all it would be a good idea IMO that if the contests are announced here that winners should be as well. But as I say, that's just me

Last edited by wervenom; 04-04-2013 at 02:17 PM.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:42 PM   #17
wedge1021
Energon

Quote:
Interesting. As I can only see s4 and don't bother with Facebook at all it would be a good idea IMO that if the contests are announced here that winners should be as well. But as I say, that's just me
Or, how about announcing them on their own website?
Right there on the front page, part of the next season's announcement.
wedge1021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:45 PM   #18
Sam
Banned

Quote:
I think having 50 pics of soundwave as an example is friggin ridiculous. You only need one or two pictures, it's the packaging pictures that are most important, given they actually more useful.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:38 PM   #19
faustx
ShelfLife Founder

Hi guys,

Just noticed there was vibrant discussion in here. Let's see if I can help clarify a few things:

1) We DO want Collector Wars to be fun, challenging and evolving. We DO NOT however have much interest in it being fair, at least not in the traditional sense, as it is not as much a contest as a rewards program for the people that work hardest to help build the community. Think of CW prizes as the cherry on the top of an already great site that provides a ton of collector services, largely for free.

2) We are constantly experimenting with new angles for each season of CW. This month massive points are on the line to include great video reviews on product pages. It's quick and simple, just link to the video and away you go. And yes, curators can now remove offending links. Please do this only if the link is not for the right product.

3) In future we may include a random component to the contest, in the sense that your Collector Points will count as tickets, so that even low level activity will have a chance to win.

4) Season winners are announced on our Facebook page, Twitter and (when we have time) on our blogs. The winners are also all individually notified. The same people have NOT been winning all the time (a myth) because as Sureshot pointed out, the same person can't win the grand prize more than once/quarter. I have the full spreadsheet in front of me...it's been pretty diverse.

5) A few notes on user submitted photos for curators:

a) Please don't delete bad photos, just remove them from the public gallery (that's why we have two gallery sets). This leaves the photo in place for the user, but removes it from public view.

b) Please don't delete photos just because you are annoyed to process them. A 360 turntable shot of a popular character is fantastic. Don't delete it. If you want to de-prioritize it by moving it to the end of the photo gallery, so be it. What is boring to you, may be exactly the set that gets someone new into the hobby.

c) Photo credits are not strictly forbidden...please don't remove great images on this basis UNLESS your gallery already has great images that make the new ones superfluous.

Generally our end goal is to increase image quality steadily over time as more submissions are captured. Please curate with this in mind.

A few quick stats:

There are now almost 20,000 products and 100,000 items in our database and our collectors have completed several hundred thousand collector actions, curation events and social sharing. These are amazing numbers and get better all the time.

Thanks guys!...we've accomplished a ton together in the last year and we look forward to many more years of building the best damn collector site on the planet.

James & Team SL

faustx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:45 PM   #20
wervenom
Big Daddy
wervenom's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustx View Post
Hi guys,

5) A few notes on user submitted photos for curators:

a) Please don't delete bad photos, just remove them from the public gallery (that's why we have two gallery sets). This leaves the photo in place for the user, but removes it from public view.

b) Please don't delete photos just because you are annoyed to process them. A 360 turntable shot of a popular character is fantastic. Don't delete it. If you want to de-prioritize it by moving it to the end of the photo gallery, so be it. What is boring to you, may be exactly the set that gets someone new into the hobby.

James & Team SL
It would seem it's too late for that as I have noticed this morning. No point in the 360 photos as I have noticed they have disapeared from many catalogs