Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > TFcon Discussion

Old 07-31-2011, 08:13 AM   #1
johnstoy
Generation 1
Thumbs up Had a great time yesterday!

(Just wanting to post this for someone who is perhaps indecisive about the TFCon experience and attending themselves, or with their child like myself)

I attended yesterday with my 7 year old son - he is a huge TF fan, and is way more knowledgable than I am about all generations/series. I give him kudos for that.

When he first asked about going, I was hesitant. I was worried that he or I wouldn't have a good time, that it might be too boring or that the convention would be full of people too Transformer crazed to make it a pleasant experience.

I am happy to report that we did decide to go and it was a wonderful experience. From the time we arrived at the Delta and were unsure about where to go (I approached a lady in a Con shirt - figured she was in the know LOL), to the time we left after the costume contest (Caleb asked to go home - he was exhausted, poor guy).

We didn't encounter one rude person. I had other fans/parents talk to us, the dealers were great, we had no problem getting directions when leaving for lunch, both Garry and Paul were fabulous (Garry deserves an extra shout out - he was GREAT with my son, and went above and beyond what most keynote speakers/celebrities would do for a fan). We had pictures taken with many of the fans in costume - they were all agreeable, friendly and great about it, and I never once had trouble finding another fan willing to use my camera to take the picture for us.

We didn't spend an astronomical amount of money or anything. I am a mom on a tight budget and I told Caleb how much money he would have to spend in advance of going and that he was going to have to plan how to spend it after looking around once. He scored "The Fallen", which he had been desperate to find as well as an Animated Jazz that he was hoping for. Other then that, he got a few odds & ends - a poster and 3 mini cons. I admit to buying myself a Tshirt, an autographed script and a purple decepticon decal for my car LOL.

Sending a huge KUDOS out to the organizers of TFCon, the vendors, staff at the Delta, all of the special guests - Garry in particular, and the other fans out there for making our virgin trip to TFCon a fantastic one. We will be back next year

Last edited by johnstoy; 07-31-2011 at 08:17 AM.
johnstoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 03:04 PM   #2
Eclipse
Generation 1
Re: Had a great time yesterday!

And I hope to see you next year too when I hope to be there.
Eclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 03:41 PM   #3
razin
Canadian Slag
Send a message via MSN to razin

Glad to hear it! It was my first 'con as well. I brought my wife and 2 of my kids (5 and 9), at first my wife was a bit mopey but she came around and the day was fantastic.

We attended the Paul Eiding and Hasbro Panels. Paul was just awesome to listen to, I was all smiles the entire panel. Even my wife thought he was cool, even sexy.... :O. My son and I got pics with Paul as well as with Barricade and BeaterBee.

Met some great board members. I even walked right up to Peaugh and introduced myself, I'm usually a shy guy but I love his reviews and have purchased stuff from him in the past so I wanted to say hi in person. I was going to do the same when I saw Vangelus and Protoman but the shyness got me.

We spent a lot of time in the dealer room, my wife was quite pleased when we saw there was some non-tf tables. She grabbed a few Rainbow Brites for herself.

Next year is a for sure event for the family, hopefully the entire weekend this time!
razin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 04:01 PM   #4
johnstoy
Generation 1

I'm glad that you all had a great time!! It's super that your wife came along.

My hubby was/is working this weekend, so coming along wasn't an option anyways - but I think it was ok that way. I think he would have been getting restless after an hour or two and would have been more paranoid about the crowds and our little guy then I was. The husband doesn't like line ups and has a paranoia about crowds - so for our enjoyment, he is best left at home LOL. I do think that he would have enjoyed the Q&A panels though, and one quick look through the dealer room, but then he would be ready to leave for sure.
johnstoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 12:51 PM   #5
talon4ce
Generation 1

I'm always up for a photo when I'm in full costume The only time I've ever said no was at SDCC in 2009 when my costume had literally fallen apart and I didn't think it would be a fair photo for the person who asked. I felt horrible about it.

I'm glad to hear you and your son had a great time!
talon4ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 01:04 PM   #6
UltraMarknus
Springer Fanboy
UltraMarknus's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by talon4ce View Post
I'm always up for a photo when I'm in full costume The only time I've ever said no was at SDCC in 2009 when my costume had literally fallen apart and I didn't think it would be a fair photo for the person who asked. I felt horrible about it.

I'm glad to hear you and your son had a great time!
You were very obliging to my wife who basically forced you to dress up and take pics with her and my kids, Friday night. THANK YOU!! She's Russian...saying no is not an option...ever...to anything...

My Feedback Thread: http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showt...t=ultramarknus
UltraMarknus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 11:44 PM   #7
Protoman
The Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by razin View Post
Met some great board members. I even walked right up to Peaugh and introduced myself, I'm usually a shy guy but I love his reviews and have purchased stuff from him in the past so I wanted to say hi in person. I was going to do the same when I saw Vangelus and Protoman but the shyness got me.
Awwww you should have!
Follow Protoman on TWITTER - Protoman http://twitter.com/Protoman
Protoman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fans, garry chalk, tfcon 2011