Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers Customs and Artwork

Old 05-21-2009, 08:38 AM   #21
Bruticus82
Fortress Maximus
Re: hydrogen peroxide vs sun fading tested

Quote:
Originally Posted by tusko View Post
Questions:
Can you leave it in too long? Can the peroxide treatment be over done?
I have a yellowed Jetfire. I don't want to take him apart, but can put him in a beaker large enough to immerse him. Does this sound reasonable if I leave him like that for a week?
Well you have to stir regularly so the bubbles don't build up and so different parts of him face the sun...so don't just "leave him". Since you'll be stirring him regularly I think you can probably gauge when you think he's "done."

Personally, I'm not positive how the metal will react...maybe someone else knows.

I'm going to try throwing in some pretender parts, g1 needlenose, and a full pretender shell, probably later on today. I'll try and let you know what the time requirements are...

1. Combiner Wars Devastator
2. 25th Anniversary Unicron (MISB)
3. DOTM Takara Vortex (MOSC)
+ and more!

Looking to buy:
1. G1 Pretender Groundbreaker

My Feedback Thread

Avatar Image by the talented Ninjatron!

Last edited by Bruticus82; 05-21-2009 at 08:41 AM.
Bruticus82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 09:56 AM   #22
chans formers
raff ow roud

im not sure if it can be left"too" long and whether or not ot'll affect it.i do have a dissassembled g1 starsaber thats been sitting in the mix for about 3-4 days now(today's the first sunny days in 3 days finally)but once he's all done i'll try throwing in some "diecast" parts along with some bw"s bots with the metal flaking going on just to see what it does.i'm also currently working/testing on a concoction to try and bring back color when the original has been heavily sundamaged,then brought back,but still has that haze to it's color.hopefully results soon.ive heard that it does work to cure the funny "spotting" on the softer parts of the g1 pretender shells though,i just havent tried it out yet.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:20 AM   #23
tusko
Classic

I doubt the peroxide would damage the metal parts. It would rust, but the corrosion rate would be very slow and the loss minor. Thanks for the input.
tusko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 03:43 PM   #24
Bruticus82
Fortress Maximus

I have my parts out in the sun now (I really should have done this Monday, it's been sunny all week!). Anyways, I threw in some soft pretender accessories, and g1 needlenose. I've been turning every hour. I'll let you know the results.

My pretender shell (not in yet, I have to find a suitably big jar) is HEAVILY sundamaged, it should be the most shocking change of all.

+ and more!

Looking to buy:

My Feedback Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 04:18 PM   #25
JLvatron
Chosen 1

Be sure to capture before & after pics so you can evidence the change!

JLvatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 06:15 PM   #26
Bruticus82
Fortress Maximus

Alright, so partial results from using 3% Hydrogen Peroxide, jars placed in sunlight and shaked regularly. Jars in sunlight from about 10 am to 6 pm for 3 days. G1 Pretender parts are whiter, and the "spotting" is greatly diminished, but still there.

Needlenose also experienced some lightening, unfortunately, what I was hoping to happen did not happen. His original light purple grey colouring was not restored, he is now a rather uniform regular grey No traces of purple (lavendar, whatever he was...).

Next up: More pretender parts, and a pretender shell, if I find a container big enough...

Chans, where did you get the 6% stuff? I haven't been able to find it at the drug store here.

+ and more!

Looking to buy:

My Feedback Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 06:32 PM   #27
chans formers
raff ow roud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruticus82 View Post
Chans, where did you get the 6% stuff? I haven't been able to find it at the drug store here.
when you go back to the drug store,go into the "hairdye/hair coloring section.it's normally used for "bleaching" hair blonde.
now some update pics....
these show the difference the solution was able to make with a g1 starsaber.in one pic,it shows the before,the next pic is after along with 2 thigh halves that have yet to go for the swim.(i know my lighting sucks a$$,but you can see a noticable difference between the pieces.more to come
(note; if any of you do attempt to dissassemble g1 starsaber,watch out because his arms are held on with "pressure washers",meant to be put on once and never removed.they're the biggest p.i.t.a. ive encountered yet to date.that and the fact that they're so tiny and fragile)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1 420.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	2679   Click image for larger version

Name:	1 424.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	2680  
Old 05-23-2009, 06:42 PM   #28
Bruticus82
Fortress Maximus

Hey Chans, so is that the 6% stuff, you used there? And how long did you leave those in for?

Also, have you changed your hydrogen peroxide yet, or still using the original solution?

+ and more!

Looking to buy:

My Feedback Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 07:08 PM   #29
chans formers
raff ow roud

it's actually a mix of 3quarters 3% and a quarter 6%,and no,i haven't changed it yet,so it's still the same peroxide from day 1.(from time to time,as i remove pieces and the liquid level goes down,i do top it back up so that it ends up back to the normal level,about 3 quarters full total).those pieces were in there for a total of about 6 hours a day,2 days,so it would be around 12 hours in total.(i did notice that because its the same peroxide from day one,alot of the grime that the stuff is cleaning off is starting to collect at the bottom of the jar,about a quarter inch thick,looks cloudy/milky on the very bottom of the jar,but it hasn't had any adverse affect.)
Old 06-01-2009, 08:21 AM   #30
Bruticus82
Fortress Maximus

I tried 3%. Made sure it was submerged, left it out in the sun for basically 2 days of direct sunlight outside. I didn't change the mixture at all.

Here are my results, before and after. I only dunked one half of the Pretender shell so you can see the differences. (I need to find a jar wide enough to fit his arms before I can dunk the other half). You'll notice the yellow is like 95% gone, I could have dunked it a little longer, but the dark grey on the legs is starting to fade too (Plus I think his colour kind of matches the arms now, which are miraculously not sundamaged. Weird pretender plastic...). I'm going to avoid that problem of colours fading on the front half by seeing what happens if I mask off the coloured areas with tape. Theory is: No Sunlight = less to know colour change.
Attached Thumbnails:

+ and more!

Looking to buy:

My Feedback Thread