Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 11-16-2015, 03:10 PM   #31
laffy
Crossover
Re: FT-17 Hoodlum (Hotrod)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chigimus View Post
No kidding! I get that Has/Tak wants to get their slice of the market back, and they should be entitled to try since they're the OG producers. But FT going heads-up against them is a big gamble treading on what is already a pretty thin line as it is already. Go home FT, you guys are drunk on energon and recent success. There's no need to poke the bear when you can work on other characters to supplement the market rather than risk over-saturating it.
laffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 03:30 PM   #32
CAF
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chigimus View Post
No kidding! I get that Has/Tak wants to get their slice of the market back, and they should be entitled to try since they're the OG producers. But FT going heads-up against them is a big gamble treading on what is already a pretty thin line as it is already. Go home FT, you guys are drunk on energon and recent success. There's no need to poke the bear when you can work on other characters to supplement the market rather than risk over-saturating it.
That's a good point, however, from another angle it's been shown to be a case of preorder madness because of supply and demand issues. If there wasn't so much demand for a "better" version pre-order wouldn't be so popular. Besides, as a consumer- a saturated market is favorable. It's not in the consumers interests at all to encourage any commodity supplier to have a monopoly. And in the toy world, unless you buy for resale, it's also the case.

What it comes down to is that a growing divide between price and quality/design is evolving. (Another example is the NECA/SH Figurearts/Bandai/Hottoys ect)
CAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 04:00 PM   #33
SXAlpha
The Man
SXAlpha's Ebay Auctions

I think I am going to pass on their Hot Rod in favor for the TakaraTomy one but if they do that Galvatron up in toy accurate colors some time down the road I think I would have to grab one. The sculpting on the robot mode looks great.
Old 11-16-2015, 04:57 PM   #34
Darth Cylon
addicted to mecha

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAF View Post
(Another example is the NECA/SH Figurearts/Bandai/Hottoys ect)
Wrong example. 3P MP style figures are made to fill in characters whose MP have not yet been made by Takara. But they are made in scale and priced at similar price point as MP.

Neca, S.H. Figurarts, SideShow, and Hot Toys have very different target market and price point. Neca makes $20 6" figures while HT makes $300+ 1/6th scale figures. They are not competing with either each.

Also Neca, Bandai, Sideshow and HT all have obtained licenses from the movie studios. 3P is still KO no matter how good it is.
Darth Cylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 05:22 PM   #35
CAF
Banned

The point is that there is obvious room for different examples of toys to exist on the market.
However these companies get them to the market- liscencing and branding or just making a toy and calling it whatever they come up with is irrelevant to the fact that there they are available for sale.
Fanstoys is a higher pricepoint and better quality in some people opinion than other offerings. Just as a Sideshow Iron Man might be better than Hot Toys.
And the way I see it, as it is obviously due to this thread- this offering of Hoodlum is not made to fill in the gap of a missing character, but is made to offer a version that satifies a market of different taste.

Last edited by CAF; 11-16-2015 at 05:26 PM.
Old 11-16-2015, 05:51 PM   #36
CAF
Banned

Is Kreo not just a Lego KO? And they got licensed Transformers stuff. I guess what's good for the goose is good for the gander lol
Old 11-16-2015, 06:05 PM   #37
Darth Cylon
addicted to mecha

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAF View Post
Is Kreo not just a Lego KO? And they got licensed Transformers stuff. I guess what's good for the goose is good for the gander lol
Lego's last patent on their building block designs expired in 2011. That's when Hasbro launched Kre-o.

But if Hasbro made Kreo Star Wars sets, then it would be KO since Lego has the Star Wars license.

Last edited by Darth Cylon; 11-16-2015 at 08:23 PM.
Darth Cylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 06:47 PM   #38
CAF
Banned

Well this KO of Hotrod is super cool. It's nice to see a company make a version that satifies the aesthetic vision I have for the character. I am optimistic about this one.
Old 11-16-2015, 07:15 PM   #39
Crobot91
Metroplex

Easy pass for me; I'm actually digging the official version of Hot Rod. Not too concerned with the bulky upper body; MP-10 has the same issues and yet it's still a great figure IMO.
Old 11-16-2015, 07:23 PM   #40
brr-icy
G1 Collector
Send a message via MSN to brr-icy

hot rod is a pass, official beats 3p everytime

my collection ^ Brr-icy Photgraphy on Facebook
Mostly G1 Japan Want list My Blog
my feedback:
Cybertron.ca
TFW
brr-icy is offline   Reply With Quote