Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 09-07-2007, 01:13 PM   #11
guiltman
Re: problems with fed ex and customs

I had FedEx do something like that to me.. I called them and asked what happens if I don't pay, they told me it would get charged back to the shipper. I'd call FedEx and see though, could be worth a try.

After dealing with FedEx and UPS's outrageous brokerage fees, I'm very careful not to order anything from the US unless the seller verifies they ship with USPS. A lot of times the brokerage fees the couriers charge can be higher than what you pay for the item.
guiltman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 01:13 PM   #12
BadJeff
Bite my shiny metal ass!

Yeah, I'll gladly pay $10 or even $20 more just to go with USPS. Never had one ounce of BS with USPS.
Old 09-07-2007, 01:33 PM   #13
Hook
Machine War

Worse than FedEx... UPS.

Case in point, here's a fun story. Earlier this year, I sold some TFs on eBay. A fella had buyer's remorse and asked me if he could send back his purchase and get a refund. Fair enough, I refunded the buyer and he shipped back the parcel. Through UPS.

He marked the package as "Vintage 80's toys" with a value of $80USD. I had to pay $45CAN brokerage fee. I was pissed.

So it's clear that if its FedEx or UPS, it's an automatic no thanks from me.
Old 09-07-2007, 03:33 PM   #14
Phy
Machine War

Apparently, now there are ways to use UPS that don't get you dinged with brokerage fees. From their Canadian website: "UPS offers free1 routine customs clearance of UPS Worldwide Express Plus™, UPS Worldwide Express™, UPS Worldwide Express Saver™ and UPS Worldwide Expedited™. "

Though you have to go looking. It's basically the website equivalent of hiding it in the bottom drawer of a locked filing cabinet, stuck upside-down, in a disused toilet with a sign on the door saying 'beware of the leopard'.

http://www.ups.com/content/ca/en/shi...rokerage%20fee
Phy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 04:46 PM   #15
miasboytoy
Animated

even then i still would NEVER use ups or fedex EVER AGAIN.....
miasboytoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 02:45 AM   #16
miasboytoy
Animated

has this ever worked....someone suggested i return the letter in the same envelope which it came. said it has worked for him before. write return to sender. person doesnt live here...they never bothered him again. whatcha guys think. i may try this out.
miasboytoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 11:46 AM   #17
jourdo
Twitter: @jourdo2k3

Quote:
Originally Posted by miasboytoy View Post
has this ever worked....someone suggested i return the letter in the same envelope which it came. said it has worked for him before. write return to sender. person doesnt live here...they never bothered him again. whatcha guys think. i may try this out.
Just for kicks I did this kind of thing through Canada Post once (just to see if it would work). I wrote a quick letter to a buddy, put my buddy's address as the return address and mine as the mail to address. No postage and dropped it in the mail. It arrived safe and sound at his house about a week later.

Not that I would recommend this with packages...

TFCC Runamuck x 3 Achieved! Now looking for Lego Ninjago NRG Jay for Christmas. If you can help, let me know.
jourdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 01:49 PM   #18
Vagabond Elf
Generation 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jourdo View Post
Just for kicks I did this kind of thing through Canada Post once (just to see if it would work). I wrote a quick letter to a buddy, put my buddy's address as the return address and mine as the mail to address. No postage and dropped it in the mail. It arrived safe and sound at his house about a week later.

Not that I would recommend this with packages...
If it's closer to the destination than the sender, Canada Post will just deliver it postage due. Plus a service charge, if I recall correctly. It's been about 5 years since I worked for the post office.

So if you try that trick for someone in another city, you'll get your letter back with money owing on it.
Vagabond Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 07:32 PM   #19
EnragedCoconut
Machine War

Its a brokerage fee that you're being charged. Many of the courier companies outsource to external people who "broker" your item through customs. Its their handling costs, essentially, that you're paying.

I agree it is ridiculous. Unfortunately, they will send it to collections if you don't pay and it will affect your credit rating.

Just one of those things....

EC
Old 09-15-2007, 02:18 AM   #20
darthrage
Beast Machine

All courier companies not only charge insane prices but their customer service is THE WORST!!!!

Dealing with one customer takes 10 minutes unless they are just dropping something off. There are times whenever I goto to DHL, Fedex or UPS and they have one customer service rep and there is a lineup of at least 5 people.

Or worse yet, there is nobody watching the counter because they are in the back looking for another customer's package. Its ridiculous that people have to deal with this.