Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 03-27-2020, 06:10 AM   #31
OptimusB38
Optimus B
Re: New Toys Prices Discussion

They cut the size of the figures down and made a bigger box. Bs IMO , my kids play with these often and I often have to fix or return. They play withClassics HFTD etc no issues. They need to stop wasting their time and money on packaging. That should knock the price and garbage down. The new figures need work, good enough is not good enough when u double prices
OptimusB38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 06:05 PM   #32
bqpetn
Generation 2

totally agree.

look many other products, electronics, cars, appliances and other. The products get better and better but not with huge price jumps. Many are even cheaper and better than previous ones.
Transformers toys are basically on the low tech level of products. But the new lines are just same quality or sometimes worse quality than before and the price is increased so much.

I also make gundams. Yes, the new ones are a little more expensive. But I can tell the improvements on the design details, the mold quality and etc, which is reasonable for the price increase.

The new line of transformers toys, you can feel the cheapness when you are playing with it.

Just my thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusB38 View Post
They cut the size of the figures down and made a bigger box. Bs IMO , my kids play with these often and I often have to fix or return. They play withClassics HFTD etc no issues. They need to stop wasting their time and money on packaging. That should knock the price and garbage down. The new figures need work, good enough is not good enough when u double prices
bqpetn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 06:15 PM   #33
UsernamePrime
G.I. Joe is better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bqpetn View Post
totally agree.

look many other products, electronics, cars, appliances and other. The products get better and better but not with huge price jumps. Many are even cheaper and better than previous ones.
Transformers toys are basically on the low tech level of products. But the new lines are just same quality or sometimes worse quality than before and the price is increased so much.

Reason for that is because for every Samsung product there is an Apple, RCA, Vizio, LG, Sony... If you want an official Transformer then you're knocking on one door and one door only.
UsernamePrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 06:54 PM   #34
imfallenangel
Cybertron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith27 View Post
I work in manufacturing and deal with plastic parts somewhat similar to what are in Transformers and I can tell you there are some extra costs involved that you are perhaps not considering.

While the amount of plastic in the newer releases remains similar, the increased articulation adds a lot more cost. Each mold needed has a fixed cost to produce/use/store.

You may be able to machine a mold in half the time now, but you need to machine 3-4 different molds for an arm for example, where you used to use 1-2. Also, all those molds now take up more setup time and cost more to store (storage/shipping of molds can be a considerable cost).

Each arm now takes double the assembly time, add increased paint apps like the most recent bots and the cost can increase significantly.

Not saying they're not making more money off us rich collectors rather than dumb kids but I don't think they're COMPLETELY evil. They certainty need to amortize the setup/design costs over fewer unit sales to collectors. Maybe the Vietnamese workers are demanding better wages these days as well.
When I could simply look around my office and name probably 20 to 50 figures from barely 5 to 10 years ago that have a huge number of parts and such, have almost no gaps, have great weapons that are full and shoot missiles or such, add to the fact that the molds most certainly were more difficult to produce and if any mistakes had to be redone would have driven the prices higher, and yet we didn't see it then.

When we see that prices (for deluxes as example) jumped from around 12$ to 15$, and then again to 20$, from one series to another in the last few years, but then jumped at 30$ instantly with Siege, there is absolutely no justification.

The only possibility would be that they had been loosing a huge amount of money due to under-pricing, but they have always been making huge profits, so that kills that "possibility".

And again, the 3rd parties (those that aren't selling at insane prices), are selling at easily 1/2 the prices and still making enough profit, to warrant making them.. They have the same expenses as Hasbro, molds, plastics, development/design teams, etc.

Everything has "extra costs", I've rarely seen a single project that manages to avoid such.

That kinda kills any argument or justification.

I'm not trying to yell "evil Hasbro" but that they are simply over-pricing, and being cheap as hell...

I would be happy with these prices IF the figures were gap-less and had better weapons/accessories.
imfallenangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 07:35 PM   #35
predahank
Storing is hoarding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumps View Post
All prices are high. Just look at 3P. Yeah, I know, smaller production runs and all that, but... we pay $30 for a deluxe, a toy that is quite good. Now let's look at NewAge, who BTW are producing masterpieces. Their products are damn near unaffordable. If you were to scale up their incredible engineering talent to MP sized figures, they would cost damn near as much as Unicron!

Not exactly sure where I was going with this... I want to be able to afford NewAge toys...Right now, I can only afford Hasbro.
3p actually seems to be the ones that haven't increased prices exponentially. Mainline has increased but mp has gone lunatic.

$200 mp-10 optimus with trailer
$550 mp-44 optimus with trailer

$70 mp-12 sideswipe
$145 mp-39 sunstreaker

To be fair the later releases have more parts/articulation (much like mainline) compared to the predecessors, but more than double the price?

Lets compare some 3p offerings by magic square and transform element which are comparable to the toon aesthetics of mp-44. They cost about $150 albeit without trailer. That's nearly a $400 difference!

I've always been a supporter of takara but they give me mp-hound which mostly come broken or crack from just being displayed and I happily buy a 3p offering which is pretty flat in pricing over the years.
predahank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 07:46 PM   #36
Nocturn
Previously Dead

Buy less
Buy only with a discount
Only free shipping
No Gods
No Masters
Old 03-27-2020, 08:09 PM   #37
OptimusB38
Optimus B

Quote:
Originally Posted by bqpetn View Post
totally agree.

I also make gundams. Yes, the new ones are a little more expensive. But I can tell the improvements on the design details, the mold quality and etc, which is reasonable for the price increase.

The new line of transformers toys, you can feel the cheapness when you are playing with it.

Just my thoughts
We have no problem paying for quality product , we just want it to last! Clearly there’s enough of us to keep it going! Keep us interested HasTak!
OptimusB38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 06:40 PM   #38
bqpetn
Generation 2

The recent jetfire release is $129.99. Then it was on sale at toys r us for $48.99.
Also for Trypitcon, Fortress Max, retail price at $239.99, but you can get it under $100 when these were on sale.
So you know how big the profit margin is.
bqpetn is offline   Reply With Quote