Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 02-12-2012, 02:17 PM   #1
ryceball89
Decepticlown
Help with Storage/Moving/Packing

Hey guys,

Looks like I will be moving after I JUST got into TF's about 5 months ago. I'm having trouble coming up with ideas on how to pack/store my figures. I was going to buy a lot of bubble wrap and a couple of large rubbermaid containers from wal-mart and start wrapping. These figures will most likely be in the containers for at least a year or two before they will be taken out again (I'm going away for school).

I'm worried that the figures at the bottom will get crushed from the weight of the guys on top.

I have about 70-80 figures with more coming in. I'd imagine by the time I actually move I will have close 90-ish, almost all loose.

I'm sure a lot of you guys have experience with moving and packing. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
ryceball89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 02:20 PM   #2
chroma23
douchebag
Re: Help with Storage/Moving/Packing

if u are worried about things getting crushed then put the bigger bots at the bottom of the box/containers and leave the lighter ones on top

BST on cybertron.ca: http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=47234
FEEDBACK on cybertron.ca: http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=16129
chroma23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 02:20 PM   #3
The Ark
The Original Scalper.

Larger figures on the bottom. Vehicle modes tend to be the smaller and more stable forms.
Old 02-12-2012, 02:22 PM   #4
Tekkamanraiden
G1 Original
Tekkamanraiden's Ebay Auctions

I've had the larger rubbermaid containers with items stored for years and they are fine. Just make sure you pad them well and put the heavy ones on the bottom.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en

Feedback http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=19772
Tekkamanraiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 02:26 PM   #5
Shepp
Maverick Hunter
Shepp's Ebay Auctions

Get lots of zip-lock bags from Bulk Barn of varying sizes (including giant freezer bags). Remove everything you can from the larger figure and store them in the bag with the instructions and whatnot. This will keep them contained and make sure you know what figure a missile or gun goes with.

I haven't really had much of a problem with crushing or bending of figures, I just did what I could to not pack them so densely. Whenever I could, I put figures into zip-lock bags. Not so much to keep them air tight or "fresh" but to prevent them from getting tangled with other figures.

Keep a list of what figure is in what bin.

And here's an interesting tidbit, those big plastic storage tubs will shatter if you handle them in the cold.

If you can get bubble wrap, go for it. You'll need more tubs though. But then, more tubs is better. The lighter the individual tub, the easier it will be to move, and the easier it will be on the figures contained.

Best of luck.
Shepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 02:42 PM   #6
ryceball89
Decepticlown

Great, looks like the main thing I'm taking away is:

Change into vehicle mode
Remove all weapons, attachments. Bag/label them all
Wrap figures in bubble (more tubs)
Large/Heavy on the bottom

Anything else I'm missing?
Old 02-12-2012, 02:54 PM   #7
Shepp
Maverick Hunter
Shepp's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryceball89 View Post
...Anything else I'm missing?

Yes. Whatever doesn't fit, just give it to me.
Shepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 03:01 PM   #8
justprime
Animated

I use good quality tote's (make sure no drain hole's in bottom to allow water or insects in (always small critters in a house basment etc ) and a locking top lid is a great thing as well) so when stacked they don't crush to start with,.. last thing you need is a colapsed lid, I package the bots a couple of ways large on bottom smaller on top ( I Usally prefer to stay away from stacking if possible totes are not that expensive) If I do stack I convert to vehicle etc.. mode,... place a towel in the bottom as a buffer,.. then wrap the bot in either bubble wrap or a plastic shopping bag and place in tote,..... between the layers (again if stacking) cardboard and repeat the process leaving a space at the top of the tote for any lid sag any loose/small bots /pieces into ziplocks leaving the air to help buffer,... another way I pack is bot mode left standing in tote same proceedure for wraping, but I do not stack here,... I have never had a breakage or damage moving them around in this manner biggest piece of advice I can give is don't be stingy on the totes or wrapping as these ensure good dry storage and no damage to your collection make the outside of the tote so you know contents and if in a sun lite room a solid color as opposed to transparent tote is the way to go.
justprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 03:37 PM   #9
Sun Swipe Prime
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryceball89 View Post
Great, looks like the main thing I'm taking away is:

Change into vehicle mode
Remove all weapons, attachments. Bag/label them all
Wrap figures in bubble (more tubs)
Large/Heavy on the bottom

Anything else I'm missing?
When you store them make sure it's in a warm dry place where the temperatures don't fluctuate too much. Going from extreme cold to extreme hot like in an attic can do weird things to some of the plastics.

One trick I used was to pack figures in shoe boxes and then place them in a larger box so it's not just one big pile of figures in one container. It's more like a bunch of small piles in small compartments if know what I mean.
Old 02-12-2012, 03:51 PM   #10
ryceball89
Decepticlown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Swipe Prime View Post
When you store them make sure it's in a warm dry place where the temperatures don't fluctuate too much. Going from extreme cold to extreme hot like in an attic can do weird things to some of the plastics.

One trick I used was to pack figures in shoe boxes and then place them in a larger box so it's not just one big pile of figures in one container. It's more like a bunch of small piles in small compartments if know what I mean.
It's most likely going to in a basement. It's dry, not humid. It might be a bit warmer during the winter when heat is on and a bit cooler during the summer months. I hope that fluctuation in temperature isn't too drastic. I'd assume its somewhere between 15-25 degrees. I will do my best to keep them away from heat vents to limit temp. fluctuations.

I like the idea of a container within a container. Some might think that's overboard but I think it's totally worth it.

My collection isn't too prestigious but I have invested a lot of time into it so I will go the extra mile to protect them the best I can. I really don't want to open them up 2 years from now and find that my figures have warped, snapped, etc.

What about stuff MISB? I was thinking a separate box dedicated only for MISB/MOSC stuff. Bad/Good?