Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 02-27-2012, 06:39 PM   #11
General Tekno
Lugnut rules!
Send a message via AIM to General Tekno Send a message via MSN to General Tekno
Re: Issues with Canada Customs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vohkuhl View Post
I recall airport customs cutting through my lock to look through the contents of my luggage when I checked-in. Quite pissed to find out they stole my Gucci shades and cologne. So in relation to what you're going through, customs really don't give a shit (power trip much?).

Any reason for suspicion is a good enough reason for them to do whatever they want. I would personally contest those charges and when I order anything that's not from another collector, I always ensure I leave a note instructing them to handle with care and label the damn thing fragile!
It's definitely a shame that your stuff got stolen (it's pretty horrible), but they also tell you not to lock your luggage when it goes on an airplane, because they WILL cut the lock to inspect it.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:44 PM   #12
vohkuhl
Cybertron

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Tekno View Post
It's definitely a shame that your stuff got stolen (it's pretty horrible), but they also tell you not to lock your luggage when it goes on an airplane, because they WILL cut the lock to inspect it.
They never informed me, as irritating as it was I hear theft happens often within airports.

Since that incident, I got new luggages with the universal access locks just so I wouldn't have to feel so violated.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:18 PM   #13
Bruticus82
Fortress Maximus

Sorry, what exactly did customs charge you and for what? HST I can see...but I'm not sure what this other charge you're talking about is.

1. Combiner Wars Devastator
2. 25th Anniversary Unicron (MISB)
3. DOTM Takara Vortex (MOSC)
+ and more!

Looking to buy:
1. G1 Pretender Groundbreaker

My Feedback Thread

Avatar Image by the talented Ninjatron!
Bruticus82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:19 PM   #14
justprime
Animated

Firstly you will have to fight,... but put in a complaint(letter) backed up with photoes and a claim for damages there really is no need to rip/open a package that is clearly marked and can be varified by X Ray scan also go to see your local fed MP with copies of the letter pics etc.. and that you want to also have him put forth a formal complaint by him I do know of a fellow that had a problem with customs at the boarder and he not only got a monatary compesation but a letter of appoligie as well that said mind you it did take a lawyers call. if you are up for the fight it can be won with perserverance
justprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:40 PM   #15
ryceball89
Decepticlown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruticus82 View Post
Sorry, what exactly did customs charge you and for what? HST I can see...but I'm not sure what this other charge you're talking about is.
Perhaps it was for customs duty?
I almost always get charged when I order internationally.
ryceball89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:49 PM   #16
Omega Supreme
Wrecker

Thanks for the replies (and for sharing other crappy customs stories).

I took some pictures and I've sent an e-mail with them off to CBSA. I'll let you know what I hear back. I'm not assuming an e-mail will do a whole lot, but it's a start.

What really annoys me is that there was no need to slice a knife right along the front of the box like they did.

If it was me opening someone else's package, I'd do my best to avoid any damage even if it didn't look like a collectible box.

This is TFCC bubble-wrap too, not the iron-clad bubble-wrap some other stores pack your stuff with. You could literally wiggle your finger a bit at two corners to release the tape.

Funnily enough, I also had to take some pictures of the Over-run inside to e-mail the TFCC about a QC issue.
There's a screw that comes through from the back into a tube to keep the chest together. Well, the screw didn't go into the tube and pushed the tube over. So I've got a floppy chest and stress marks all over the tubes inside. I'm thinking I'll need to return it for another, but I'm not holding my breath on a quick response from the club.

Fun hobby today.

Edit regarding the charges:
For me, it was 1) a handling fee of $8.50 plus 2) HST on the stated value. I'd expect that for anything customs takes a look at. Though I've noticed the handling fee seems to vary.

What I don't expect is to pay $8.50 "handling" for someone to slice the bubble wrap open, score the front of the box devaluing the figure, and not even re-wrap it with bubble-wrap so it ends up with an additional ding on the corner.
You should be able to expect it to arrive at your door the same way it was packed even if customs opened it.
What else are you paying a handling fee for?

Last edited by Omega Supreme; 02-27-2012 at 09:00 PM.
Omega Supreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:54 PM   #17
justprime
Animated

They get away with it because most do not act,... figuring that theres no way to win,.. but it can happen... as for fees yeh I had a friend who bought some old corgies from england and got a insane customs charge when he asked (because the toys were loose and not new) how they deturmined the cost? the customs agent said well thats the price we charge.. he said well what if I don't agree and don't pay? the reply was do you ever want to get anything else? typical gov. reply to a valid question and the arregance that proceeds it.I once got a package from Japan (constructicon maximus) bought for 75.00 U.S. customs duty was 85.00 can. over 100% the base cost tell me how thats fair,.. they are legalised thiefs.
justprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:59 PM   #18
Bruticus82
Fortress Maximus

I have to admit at being a bit confused at the customs duty thing, as under the Harmonized Tariff System I don't believe toys are subject to duty so long as they come from a country where the applicable tariff is the Most Favoured Nation (MFN) tariff.

The code for toys, I believe, should be 9503.00.90. Can anyone who has been hit by duties either share their tariff code, or take a picture of the document?

I'm not holding out hope I could do anything, but figure out why the duties are imposed is a good first step to potentially challenging them.

+ and more!

Looking to buy:

My Feedback Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 10:33 PM   #19
Omega Supreme
Wrecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruticus82 View Post
I have to admit at being a bit confused at the customs duty thing, as under the Harmonized Tariff System I don't believe toys are subject to duty so long as they come from a country where the applicable tariff is the Most Favoured Nation (MFN) tariff.

The code for toys, I believe, should be 9503.00.90. Can anyone who has been hit by duties either share their tariff code, or take a picture of the document?

I'm not holding out hope I could do anything, but figure out why the duties are imposed is a good first step to potentially challenging them.
Here's the info from my CBSA Postal Import Form:

Clasification No.: 9503009099
toys/nes / Jouets - NDA

Value for duty (CAN$) $205.69
Duty: $0
Excise tax: $0
GST/HST: 26.74
PST: $0
Handling Fee: $8.50
Total Payable: $35.24

So, for me, no actual Duty, just the taxes and handling fee.
Omega Supreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:36 PM   #20
Bruticus82
Fortress Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
Here's the info from my CBSA Postal Import Form:

Clasification No.: 9503009099
toys/nes / Jouets - NDA

Value for duty (CAN$) $205.69
Duty: $0
Excise tax: $0
GST/HST: 26.74
PST: $0
Handling Fee: $8.50
Total Payable: $35.24

So, for me, no actual Duty, just the taxes and handling fee.
That looks entirely accurate to me. I just looked it up and the $8.50 handling fee is charged by Canada Post anytime they deliver something that is subject to taxes or duty.

If the item is worth $20 or less they're not supposed to bother charging you duty or taxes at all.

BTW, thanks for posting that. I import things infrequently myself, but tariffs and such are kind of in my scope of work, so it's good to be able to see how it works in practice.

P.S. - I have a set coming too, I'll probably get hit as well, but I'll let you guys know.

+ and more!

Looking to buy:

My Feedback Thread

Last edited by Bruticus82; 02-27-2012 at 10:42 PM.