Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 04-15-2013, 08:10 AM   #51
Slayback
Animated
Re: Prices on Shelflife

uh there's always a fee for emt. bank charges you.

feedback :http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=31815
Slayback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:43 AM   #52
razin
Canadian Slag
Send a message via MSN to razin

There is nothing safe about EMT when interacting with unknown sellers. I think you are a little too trusting if EMT is your prefered method.
razin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:53 AM   #53
wervenom
Big Daddy
wervenom's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by razin View Post
There is nothing safe about EMT when interacting with unknown sellers. I think you are a little too trusting if EMT is your prefered method.

I don't know about that. I haven't had any bad luck with emt's but its been mostly with board members. Paypal is fine as well but if you are asked to send funds as a gift would that not run the same risk as am emt?
wervenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:30 AM   #54
Window
Robot Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by wervenom View Post
I don't know about that. I haven't had any bad luck with emt's but its been mostly with board members. Paypal is fine as well but if you are asked to send funds as a gift would that not run the same risk as am emt?
If I'm asked to do it as gift I usually get something in writing from them describing the goods being sold, basically an invoice as when sending a gift payment a paypal invoice is not generated.

If it is a member I know or have met or has extensive positive feedback then I won't.
Window is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:12 AM   #55
UltraMarknus
Springer Fanboy
UltraMarknus's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Window View Post
If I'm asked to do it as gift I usually get something in writing from them describing the goods being sold, basically an invoice as when sending a gift payment a paypal invoice is not generated.

If it is a member I know or have met or has extensive positive feedback then I won't.
Here's the thing. Sending gift payments via Paypal for goods is against their policy. No matter what the seller does, you will not be covered. In fact, in some instances, the seller has been booted off because of it. Paypal wants to make money. Doing a "work around" so they do not make money is frowned upon by them

My Feedback Thread: http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showt...t=ultramarknus
UltraMarknus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:34 AM   #56
Window
Robot Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraMarknus View Post
Here's the thing. Sending gift payments via Paypal for goods is against their policy. No matter what the seller does, you will not be covered. In fact, in some instances, the seller has been booted off because of it. Paypal wants to make money. Doing a "work around" so they do not make money is frowned upon by them
But you also assume the responsibility for the financial transaction when you do so.
By gifting it I relinquish them of all legal responsibility for the sale so if I get screwed they don't have to deal with it.

And mostly they boot merchants off for doing that, not individuals - harder to prove it with individuals.

That and their fees are ludicrous.
Window is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:12 PM   #57
faustx
ShelfLife Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraMarknus View Post
Whaaaaat? Are people seriously too lazy to go to the BST forum and use the search forum function? Or is this a sales pitch from the creator of the site? I think a lot of the fun of a forum is seeing new sales threads and what is listed.

I look at shelf life and schmax or whatever more like "look at what iiiiii have" websites. Which seems silly to me. I understand posting hauls and pics of a collection but a running list? I remember starting on schmax and then wondering why in the hell am I spending my time doing this and never returning lol.

I can see the benefit of receiving emails when someone lists something you are looking for, for some collectors. But really, I think most collectors lack the patience for something to come to them. They rather seek it out and that is a big part of the fun that is collecting.
Hey Mark,

You need to plug into the big picture here.

1) Forums are for discussion. It's what PHPBB based message boards (and similar) do best. They are terrible for product information archiving, building dedicated social circles, product research, automatically connecting buyers and sellers based on detailed expressions of what they want and have, etc.

2) Ebay/Amazon fees are too expensive and too inhuman in the way they push all conflicts to Paypal for resolution.

3) None of the social networks have collector focused tech built right in.

ShelfLife aims to solve all of these problems and it's free to do everything but sell, which is half the cost of everywhere else but the basic text options that are wildly inefficient.

Our platform isn't perfected yet by a long shot, but we are adding new features every week with a small, very hard working team who has spents years studying the industry and working with our fellow collectors to get things right.

Everyone is always going to be able to find something to bitch about but if you all band together to support this project you'll get nothing but goodness back in return.

Here's a short list of just a few of things you can expect to see from us this spring/summer:

1) Expanded collection management tools to allow you to export SL tracked collection sub-sets to BST threads, Craiglist or whatever else you want

2) Expanded photo gallery tools

3) Support for international shipping/currency to further simplify the sales and checkout process (this is a massive project that should be viewed with tremendous respect....the goal is to integrate eventually with every major shipper on Earth to ensure you never have to calculate shipping again). We're going to start tracking weight and volume on products, which is going to further support all of this.

4) An excellent new sightings tools using Google Maps technology, bar code scanning on our phones, our upcoming Collector Circles and the radius from your assigned home base to provide instant notifications when something in your Want list pops up at retail...just the start of what we're going to be doing with mobile/retail

Also, for anyone annoyed by the notifications (which many of us find quite useful...I've used them to sell several things myself), just visit your profile and tweak the settings.

James

faustx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:13 PM   #58
faustx
ShelfLife Founder

Re: Paypal, I should point out that we would love to switch to an equally secure solution, but first all of you would need to switch to that solution. Chicken and an egg. It's coming down the pipe but we estimate 3-5 years before a real challenger emerges.

James

faustx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 06:00 PM   #59
Sam
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayback View Post
uh there's always a fee for emt. bank charges you.
Completely and utterly false. I've never been charged EVER for using EMT. Also, the Bank has a complete record of the transaction and you can have it remedied easy. There is no safer way to send money, period.

You are wrong unfortunately.
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 06:03 PM   #60
razin
Canadian Slag
Send a message via MSN to razin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
Completely and utterly false. I've never been charged EVER for using EMT. Also, the Bank has a complete record of the transaction and you can have it remedied easy. There is no safer way to send money, period.

You are wrong unfortunately.
No safer way? So you're saying if someone scams you and doesn't actually send you anything, you can get your money back? Doubt it.

And most banks charge $1.50 for EMT. This is not "completely and utterly false", maybe not all banks, but TD for sure, and I'm pretty sure RBC too.
razin is offline   Reply With Quote