Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 04-06-2013, 04:06 PM   #21
Sam
Banned
Re: Prices on Shelflife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
TFP Prime, at Zellers. But that's history now.
Yes but no one shopped at Zellers, as evidence of their demise :P
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 04:39 PM   #22
Pascal
Banned

Buhawi lived there for almost 2 years waiting for pricing errors.
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 05:50 PM   #23
Shockwave 75
I drink, & I know things.

I don't know why people are getting so bent out of shape about a few emails. I get them too, and you know what I do? I delete them!
Just mark them as "junk" or whatever and have them sent to your "junk mail". Or, you know, just delete them.
Old 04-07-2013, 02:16 AM   #24
CBII
Animated

Anyone even have success listing your stuff for sale on shelflife?

Stupid site won't let me load pics
CBII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 03:59 AM   #25
faustx
ShelfLife Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockwave 75 View Post
I don't know why people are getting so bent out of shape about a few emails. I get them too, and you know what I do? I delete them!
Just mark them as "junk" or whatever and have them sent to your "junk mail". Or, you know, just delete them.
Yeah, please don't do that. You send our auto-notifications to Junk and it will effect how they are handled for everyone. The proper way is to go into your profiles and change your notification settings to your liking. No one is forcing anyone to participate in the marketplace functions, but you guys need to open your minds to the possibilities.

BST threads are WILDLY inefficient. It requires that we all track each others threads all the time to find a match. SL does all that automatically and for free. You just need to put in real numbers when they are requested.

Personally, I get a ton of good notifications every week that connect me to buyers and sellers, because I enter real values when I manage my collection.

That being said, this is a solid idea:

"Best if there was a checkbox for "wanted but not buying now" that lets you want it at 0. that way the bot would stop sending members with lowball insulting #'s"

We'll work on it.

As far as lowball offers, it's important to remember, this isn't Ebay and these folks aren't actually offering YOU anything. They are recording what something is worth to THEM at that moment. Perhaps they're just plowing through the form, or maybe they hate PE Megatron and only want him for $5 to fill a gap on the shelf.

Either way, review your weekly notices, connect when it makes sense and be glad we all have a better system that's getting better all the time.

We love all the feedback guys...keep contributing to site content, managing your collections and we'll keep working hard to improve and iron out any issues.

p.s. The ability to connect to one another directly when there is a match has been left unidirectional for a reason: to ensure that sellers can't spam buyers. If a seller sees a close match, it's their prerogative to change their price if they are willing. If a buyer sees a match, they can buy or not. Either way it's far better than scanning Ebay constantly for the same stuff.

James & Team SL

faustx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 04:04 AM   #26
faustx
ShelfLife Founder

We've also covered the "contest" thing in other threads, but I'll repeat here:

Collector Wars is designed to do a couple of things:

1) Motivate increased site activity for things you already have good enough reasons to do (buy, sell, research, manage)

2) Reward the collectors that are doing the most to help build out the site and community

3) Provide access to exclusives (coming soon)

All of this has been quite successful. If you are disappointed at not winning, remember, this is free stuff from a free site. Every month we shake things up to allow new approaches to winning. Next month we're going to shake things up and try making points equal tickets and doing a virtual random draw for the prizes to make it possible for almost anyone to win. We're also working on getting 3rd party sponsors involved to increase the prize purse.

p.s. CBII I threw you a PM to help you sort out your upload stuff. My guess is your pics are too big or your browser is too old.

James

faustx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:28 AM   #27
Sam
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBII View Post
Anyone even have success listing your stuff for sale on shelflife?

Stupid site won't let me load pics
I've sold one item and that's all, No one is using the site to buy and sell, all of the forums and facebook pages I am a part of don't consider Shelflife worth using. They either use their own B/S/T threads or they use ebay.

It's also very frustrating that everything is in US dollars instead of allowing an option for Canadian dollars.
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:08 AM   #28
Scrapper6
Nexus Maximus

I don't really have this problem, as my browser is so old the site doesn't even work on it, so my account isn't even up to snuff or includes my entire collection.

Still get the oddball offers of people wanting to buy the Animated figures I put up on that site when I first started trying to work on it.

Quite frankly I don't see much of an incentive to go back there once my browser is up to snuff, the concept is an intriguing one and I suppose it could help out collectors. The thing is when it comes to buying and selling stuff every collector in the world will place a different value on it, and there's no guarantee to weed out scalpers or what-have-you jumping onto the site to just hook more suckers.

I'm sorry, but Shelflife might be an interesting concept, but I can keep track of my collection just fine offline, no need to waste time online, unless it's Shmax, but then again I haven't been following up over there too often as of late due to the fact that managing a collection offline takes a bit of work too.

Another thing is, some people just don't want the entire world to know what the hell it is they have and how much value it's worth. That's just the way things are.

I'm also sorry about this, but it has to be said, BST threads are not worthless, it takes patience to understand that anything is going to sell on a forum where posts are constantly being bumped. If you find that method of selling too frustrating or a hassle that doesn't mean others share your views.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:03 AM   #29
Robimus
Iacon North Scout

So if I wanted to close my account/not recieve emails from Shelflife anymore how exactly would I go about doing that? I'm poking around the site but can not seem to find anything to click on. I presume I'm just missing the option.

Visit the official TFcon Toronto website for all the details!
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 02:37 PM   #30
UltraMarknus
Springer Fanboy
UltraMarknus's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustx View Post
BST threads are WILDLY inefficient. It requires that we all track each others threads all the time to find a match. SL does all that automatically and for free. You just need to put in real numbers when they are requested.

James & Team SL
Whaaaaat? Are people seriously too lazy to go to the BST forum and use the search forum function? Or is this a sales pitch from the creator of the site? I think a lot of the fun of a forum is seeing new sales threads and what is listed.

I look at shelf life and schmax or whatever more like "look at what iiiiii have" websites. Which seems silly to me. I understand posting hauls and pics of a collection but a running list? I remember starting on schmax and then wondering why in the hell am I spending my time doing this and never returning lol.

I can see the benefit of receiving emails when someone lists something you are looking for, for some collectors. But really, I think most collectors lack the patience for something to come to them. They rather seek it out and that is a big part of the fun that is collecting.

My Feedback Thread: http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showt...t=ultramarknus
UltraMarknus is offline   Reply With Quote