Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 04-06-2013, 07:04 AM   #11
Foxw
Founder of BFC group
Re: Prices on Shelflife

is decent site. won't work right on my 3 yr old phone though.

the fact they make you put in a "will pay x" on a want is why we get those *I want n item for $0.01" mails.

I think it's less low ballers and more, "yes I want that, but not crutial or in budget atm".

best if there was a checkbox for "wanted but not buying now" that lets you want it at 0. that way the bot would stop sending members with lowball insulting #'s
Foxw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:17 AM   #12
Sam
Banned

Again, I am not talking about the people who put up a want for next to nothing. I am referring tot he actual people who are selling and asking WAY more than the figure is worth.

For instance, any of the newer Prime or Generations figures are really only worth at most Retail or slightly above. I could see 20 bucks for a MOSC Prime Rumble or something, but when people are asking 60 dollars for a FoC Grimlock? I mean come on, he's brand new and available in stores or will be soon. He's not worth 60 bucks, even MISB.
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:44 AM   #13
Shepp
Maverick Hunter
Shepp's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
Again, I am not talking about the people who put up a want for next to nothing. I am referring tot he actual people who are selling and asking WAY more than the figure is worth.

For instance, any of the newer Prime or Generations figures are really only worth at most Retail or slightly above. I could see 20 bucks for a MOSC Prime Rumble or something, but when people are asking 60 dollars for a FoC Grimlock? I mean come on, he's brand new and available in stores or will be soon. He's not worth 60 bucks, even MISB.
Isn't $60 (or close to that) what he's going for at retail?

I mean, when you've got Deluxe class figures with a MSRP of like $25, it isn't that big of a stretch.

That's why I stopped looking for stuff at retail.

As for ShelfLife's prices, the site just needs more sellers. Once that happens, prices will level themselves out.

I think the major problem is that many (like me) are using ShelfLife as a collector's database instead of buy-n-sell. Their prices are high because they don't really want to sell.

It could also be an attempt to lower shipping costs. Shipping is through the roof from/to Canada. Since they're listing something at a set shipping cost, and the actual shipping price may be 2-3 times that much, they'd like to cover it somehow.

Lowballers are a problem, but that may stem from auction sites like e-bay. They can put however low they want. It costs them nothing if they're willing to wait. It'd be better if they adjusted the condition accordingly, and might actually snag what they want.

At one time ShelfLife did allow people to enter 0.00 as their want price (which was great), but something reverted it back. There are plans at some point to implement a "not critical" checkbox or something so it stays as a want, but doesn't qualify as a "looking to buy", but not sure how that goes.

Something I'd REALLY like is an option to negotiate with a buyer or seller through ShelfLife directly.

Let's say my want to buy price for something is $25, and the seller's want to sell price is $35. If there was the option to negotiate through the site itself, we could reach a point where both are satisfied.
Shepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:59 AM   #14
razin
Canadian Slag
Send a message via MSN to razin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepp View Post
Where the hell do you shop? $60 is NOT even close to his retail price. I picked up mine for 22.97. When he arrives here in Canada, he will be 29.97.

So yes, $60 is retarded. Impatient people will pay it. Most collectors will wait it out.

I will agree with you on the needing more sellers aspect. Right now the few are trying to monopolize, once more competition arrives, the scalpers will need to adjust.

Last edited by razin; 04-06-2013 at 09:01 AM.
razin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:50 AM   #15
Megatrons Cannon
Only Cares about G1!!!
Megatrons Cannon's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by chovner View Post
No need to close your account, you could just turn those notification e-mail off.
P.S. I want all your TFs for $1 shipped each lol.
I did turn off emails and still got them. Sure Ill sell my figs for a $1 each, so the total is $185 plus $100,000 for shipping =)

My Feedback Thread
Megatrons Cannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:09 AM   #16
Sam
Banned

Quote:
Nope, try 30 bucks retail.

Quote:
I mean, when you've got Deluxe class figures with a MSRP of like $25, it isn't that big of a stretch.
Never seen deluxes retailing for 25 bucks, they sell for 16.99 most everywhere you go.

Quote:
That's why I stopped looking for stuff at retail.

As for ShelfLife's prices, the site just needs more sellers. Once that happens, prices will level themselves out.
Maybe but there's no guarantee, it hasn't worked with ebay.

Quote:
I think the major problem is that many (like me) are using ShelfLife as a collector's database instead of buy-n-sell. Their prices are high because they don't really want to sell.
AGAIN, I am talking about the items listed to sell, if you look at say FoC Grimlock it will list if people are selling him and what price they are asking, we aren't talking about it as a collection database.

Quote:
It could also be an attempt to lower shipping costs. Shipping is through the roof from/to Canada. Since they're listing something at a set shipping cost, and the actual shipping price may be 2-3 times that much, they'd like to cover it somehow.
Could be, but given you can actually list your shipping fees I find that harder to believe.

Quote:
Lowballers are a problem, but that may stem from auction sites like e-bay. They can put however low they want. It costs them nothing if they're willing to wait. It'd be better if they adjusted the condition accordingly, and might actually snag what they want.
I think the lowballer thing is people who are just using it as a collection database, these aren't really offers to anyone.

Quote:
At one time ShelfLife did allow people to enter 0.00 as their want price (which was great), but something reverted it back. There are plans at some point to implement a "not critical" checkbox or something so it stays as a want, but doesn't qualify as a "looking to buy", but not sure how that goes.

Something I'd REALLY like is an option to negotiate with a buyer or seller through ShelfLife directly.
This is an amazing idea and I'd love to see it. Allow people's emails to be shown with their listings could do some of the work.

Quote:
Let's say my want to buy price for something is $25, and the seller's want to sell price is $35. If there was the option to negotiate through the site itself, we could reach a point where both are satisfied.
Again, great idea.
Old 04-06-2013, 02:18 PM   #17
joshimus
Metroplex

I find the contests on Shelflife to be worthless.
For one of the first contests I was in the top 10 and worked hard to get there but was still at least a couple million away from top 3. I originally thought top 10 (or last 7) would get some form of prize but that wasn't the case. I can never keep up or have the time to make it to the top 3 so I lost a lot of interest. Then you have those lowballers asking to pay a couple bucks on a brand new sealed figure with retail value pricing and yes those that think a not fully released figure, but will be shortly, is worth more than double it's retail value. Pretty much took away my desire to use that site all together.
joshimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 03:31 PM   #18
Sam
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshimus View Post
I find the contests on Shelflife to be worthless.
For one of the first contests I was in the top 10 and worked hard to get there but was still at least a couple million away from top 3. I originally thought top 10 (or last 7) would get some form of prize but that wasn't the case. I can never keep up or have the time to make it to the top 3 so I lost a lot of interest. Then you have those lowballers asking to pay a couple bucks on a brand new sealed figure with retail value pricing and yes those that think a not fully released figure, but will be shortly, is worth more than double it's retail value. Pretty much took away my desire to use that site all together.
Couldn't have said it better myself.
Old 04-06-2013, 03:39 PM   #19
joshimus
Metroplex

Shelflife was a good idea on paper and still needs tweaking. Currently it is just not for me.
joshimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 03:53 PM   #20
Pascal
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
Never seen deluxes retailing for 25 bucks
TFP Prime, at Zellers. But that's history now.
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote