Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 01-05-2017, 10:27 PM   #1
Metroplex79
Little Guy with Firepower
Talking Actual Winter In Vancouver Is Making People Do Crazy Things

ARTICLE: Actual Winter In Vancouver Is Making People Do Crazy Things

Quote:
The apocalypse Winter has descended upon Metro Vancouver.

Snow, followed by slush and falling temperatures have turned streets into dangerous slick surfaces.

The good citizens of the region are doing their best, arming themselves with hammers...

A man chips away at the ice on the sidewalk in front of his house in Vancouver on Tuesday.

And axes.

(Tip from the pros though: don't do that because you can damage tools, the surface, or yourself.)

It's led to the Great Salt Crisis of 2017.

People are lining up for HOURS at Vancouver fire halls for free salt.

Police had to be called when crowds got out of control at three fire halls on Tuesday.

And now, there's a brisk salt trade on Craigslist.

The mayor of neighbouring Coquitlam appears ready to start a fight that could rival the Battle of Hoth:

So far this winter, the City of Vancouver has gone through about 7,000 tonnes of salt, which is seven times the average amount used in each of the previous two winters.

But this being Vancouver, do not fear. The bike lanes are all clear.
I don't want to laugh, but imagine a real crisis.

The inserted tweets in the article were fun too.

Is winter really an unexpected thing in Vancouver?

A team that's only a shell of its former self
Savage Blitzkrieg Squad [MIC]

Metroplex79 is a good and safe city to do business in!!! Take the tour.
These people stopped by:
Cybertron.ca feedback thread

New and old buyers welcome here:
Cybertron.ca sales thread
[CONTINUING POST-TFCON UPDATE]
(last update: Feb 12/14 @ 9:15am EST, slight edit)
Metroplex79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 10:50 PM   #2
Darth Cylon
addicted to mecha
Re: Actual Winter In Vancouver Is Making People Do Crazy Things

This is almost true for our Mayor Moonbeam too.

https://www.thebeaverton.com/2017/01...lks-backfires/
Old 01-06-2017, 01:34 AM   #3
Sun Swipe Prime
Canadian Slag

The good news is free skating on Trout Lake. First time since 1996 that this has happened.
Old 01-06-2017, 11:07 AM   #4
Blitzwing
Armada

I was helping my Dad shovel their driveway around Christmas morning and he brought out a pick axe. I was like, "What do you expect to accomplish with that thing?"
Old 01-06-2017, 03:03 PM   #5
jjwankenobi
Midichlorian Count Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metroplex79 View Post

Is winter really an unexpected thing in Vancouver?
Sadly, yes.

We live in a rain forest out here. Winters are typically cold, wet and grey.

So the majority of municipalities, drivers and homeowners are helpless when the white stuff starts to full and freezing temperatures set it.

jjwankenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 07:37 PM   #6
Chigimus
Masterpiece

I still don't get why the salt/sand frenzy is such a panic out there. Isn't it mandatory in BC to have winter tires on their rides? When you throw snow chains and/or studs on top, one should be more than enough prepared, you would think.
Chigimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 08:02 PM   #7
jjwankenobi
Midichlorian Count Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chigimus View Post
I still don't get why the salt/sand frenzy is such a panic out there. Isn't it mandatory in BC to have winter tires on their rides? When you throw snow chains and/or studs on top, one should be more than enough prepared, you would think.
Nope. Snow/studded tires and chains are not mandatory here in Lotusland. Like I said, it normally rains non-stop this time of year.

If you head up one of the local Mountains (Cypress or Seymour, but not Grouse) they do have signage saying snow tires/chains are mandatory.

So when snow tires aren't typically needed then snow shovels and salt aren't typically stocked at Crappy Tire either.

Hence everyone losing their shit over free salt.

You really have to spend winter here to appreciate the usual lack of snow. I grew up in Deadmonton, lived there for 14 years. Then we moved to Vancouver and the 6 months of rain instead of 6 months of snow was a little jarring. But being able to swim in the ocean, hike in the mountains, mountain bike through the woods all in one day made the movie worth it.

But thank The Maker I don't have to deal with high property taxes cuz recent assessments have made the rates B A N A N A S.

Last edited by jjwankenobi; 01-06-2017 at 08:05 PM.
jjwankenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 08:16 PM   #8
Chigimus
Masterpiece

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjwankenobi View Post
Nope. Snow/studded tires and chains are not mandatory here in Lotusland. Like I said, it normally rains non-stop this time of year.

If you head up one of the local Mountains (Cypress or Seymour, but not Grouse) they do have signage saying snow tires/chains are mandatory.

But being able to swim in the ocean, hike in the mountains, mountain bike through the woods all in one day made the movie worth it.

But thank The Maker I don't have to deal with high property taxes cuz recent assessments have made the rates B A N A N A S.
So the winter tire law is not mandatory province-wide, but only applies to certain regions of BC? Well ok then, I always thought it applied to the whole province.

But yeah the property values are ridiculously overpriced out there, Hongcouver especially. All those baller-wannabe's out there are willing to throw up gobs of money to inflate home values unnaturally just cuz "they can afford it" to show off who's the bigger poser. Then at the same time go batshit crazy over FREE salt. If all that rain ain't gonna wash the pretentiousness out, nothing will.
Chigimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 08:57 PM   #9
Darth Cylon
addicted to mecha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chigimus View Post
So the winter tire law is not mandatory province-wide, but only applies to certain regions of BC? Well ok then, I always thought it applied to the whole province.

But yeah the property values are ridiculously overpriced out there, Hongcouver especially. All those baller-wannabe's out there are willing to throw up gobs of money to inflate home values unnaturally just cuz "they can afford it" to show off who's the bigger poser. Then at the same time go batshit crazy over FREE salt. If all that rain ain't gonna wash the pretentiousness out, nothing will.
Here in Vancouver, Rich people drive Super SUV like Porsche Cayenne, Range Rover Sport, BMW X5M or X6M with summer performance tyres on!!

Also Hongcouver is done. It's Vanchina now. Even Cantonese and Taiwanese can't stand the new rich pigs from China. The people who line up for free salt are mostly poor old people who live in old houses that valued over 1.5 millions and they can't barely pay their property tax.

And both the cities and province have only one solution to every god damned issues: More Taxes!!!

And no one has been collect garbage from my apartment for like 3 weeks now since the snow.
Old 01-06-2017, 11:17 PM   #10
Ozrein
Stunticon

Yep, snow is an oddity out here. Last time we got any substantial snow was in 2008, then the next winter (you Winter Olympics 2010), they had to truck snow in for the events.