Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion > Cybertron.ca Podcast - Canadian Slag

Old 10-12-2012, 03:32 PM   #11
GMfan
Robot in Disguise
Re: Canadian Slag Episode 65 - The Six Million Dollar Slag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoman View Post
I agree. Sure a lot of the rare Ultra Magus stuff GMfan finds I would like to have too for my own personal collection, but I am happy for him and it goes to the right person, not to mention when he finds stuff I never knew existed.
lol the fuckin magnet...but at least he was able to secure one for himself as well.

Which reminds me Daniel, I gotta show you my new pale and gloves

Canadian Slag ...it's a podcast. About robits. Listen to it...cuz you can't watch it.
GMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 03:33 PM   #12
Cheers Ian
twitter @cheersian

Pale?
Old 10-12-2012, 03:34 PM   #13
GMfan
Robot in Disguise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheers Ian View Post
Pale?
Ya...the one you picked up...remember? Came with a lil shovel.

EDIT: ...fuckin grammar cop

PAIL!!!

I GOT A SHOVEL AND PAIL

Canadian Slag ...it's a podcast. About robits. Listen to it...cuz you can't watch it.

Last edited by GMfan; 10-12-2012 at 03:38 PM.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:51 PM   #14
Stapler
Nexus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMfan View Post
Who says you can't? Answer the questions in this thread!
I meant more along the lines that I felt like chiming in and giving my two cents but couldn't because I was listening to a recording. That type of thing. :P

Anyway...

- What different fan mindsets have you run into?

Nothing too negative in person. I've seen all types online, though. I mostly run into casuals who have fond memories of G1 and/or BW.

- Do any of you ascribe to any of these particular mindsets?

I have a nostalgic and sentimental bias to G1 but I'm able to find something to appreciate in the other parts of the franchise and enjoy them for what they are. Do I like some more than others? Definitely. Do I hate any of them for not being G1 and/or BW? No.

- Is there a TF line that you must have some of to be called a TF fan?

I don't think there is any one line that you need some of to be considered a fan. The great thing of this franchise is that there's something out there for everyone. Everyone's tastes are different and even if a line could be considered the "best", it doesn't make it everyone's favorite by default and everyone is obligated to have something from it.

- Is there a single figure that all TF collectors must have?

It depends IMO. G1 Optimus Prime if you want that toy to represent the beginning of the franchise. But really I say it should be a toy that represents your favorite iteration of a particular character.

- Are third party items the Mazarati's of the TF world? Or do they even deserve to be referred to as TF's?

I feel that it just depends on who you ask. I don't see them as anything stupendous. Some of the 3rd party is amazing, no question, but other than a rare occasion, 3rd party stuff just isn't for me. I'm happy enough with what Hasbro offers.

Do I consider them transformers? Well they're transformers but not transformers, you know? They aren't official so my brain kinda registers as their own thing.

- If TF snobs bug you, what do you like to tell them when encountered in person?

Meh. After being on the internet thins long, snobs don't bother me too much. I've learned to just roll my eyes and ignore them or avoid them. But the person's personality plays a part, too. They could be a snob but still be a likable snob, you know?

I don't think I've ever run into a TF snob offline. I'm not the type to walk up to a stranger and start blathering about transformers. If someone bring it up than I'm happy to talk about them.

I try not to get hung up on folks that bug me anyway. Life is stressful enough, why worry about people like that? It's just not healthy.

Looking for: - Energon Snow Cat's mini-con connecter piece.

- Hasbro MP Rodimus prime junker (need left shoulder/arm).
Stapler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:00 PM   #15
secretcode
Unoriginal Contentâ„¢
Send a message via AIM to secretcode Send a message via MSN to secretcode Send a message via Skype™ to secretcode

What different fan mindsets have you run into?

There's the Geewunners, the Information Whores, the Unicron Trilogy fanatics, the movieverse dudes, the Fandom Vets, Prime fans who "QUIT THE SHOW FOREVER" every week but keep coming back every time a new episode aires... then there's the ones who like to write slashfiction about various characters... I've seen a little bit of everything.

Do any of you ascribe to any of these particular mindsets?

I try to remain open-minded with Transformers, but I highly disagree with many of the mindsets- namely the "G1 or nothing" crowd. If people like different eras of the fandom, how does that make them any less of a fan? I'm a Beast Wars kid, and until maybe 2003 or so, I wasn't even aware of Generation 1. Does it make me any less of a fan? I don't think so. Limiting yourself to one era or being close-minded about the different styles/sections of the brand really limits what you can enjoy from the brand. At least give other things a shot.

Is there a TF line that you must have some of to be called a TF fan?

No. Again, collect what you like. You aren't forced to have a certain toy or certain line to be an actual fan. Try everything at least once.

Is there a single figure that all TF collectors must have?

Personally? Cybertron Optimus Prime.

Are third party items the Mazarati's of the TF world? Or do they even deserve to be referred to as TF's?

I'm probably going to catch some flak for this one, but I don't care at all about Third Party toys. A lot of them are REALLY cool toys, but none of them hit the sweet spot for me. Call me when a Third Party company does some new Beast Wars stuff, or make actually good versions of some Unicron Trilogy dudes. Slavish, super-accurate/articulate versions of G1 characters do nothing for me.

If TF snobs bug you, what do you like to tell them when encountered in person?

I usually just nod and shrug it off. People (especially nerds) can be stubborn as hell, and half the time it's not worth the argument to try to move them away from their very set ways.

As long as you are chill and easy-going in terms of what you like and not overly aggressive about what is "proper" or "canon" or "FOR TRUE FANS", you're fine with me.
secretcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:02 PM   #16
Nightstalker
Bellydancer at heart
Send a message via MSN to Nightstalker Send a message via Skype™ to Nightstalker

Just found out about your podcast. Going to download them all now so I have something to listen to on my 6 hour drive tomorrow!
Nightstalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:54 PM   #17
GMfan
Robot in Disguise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightstalker View Post
Just found out about your podcast. Going to download them all now so I have something to listen to on my 6 hour drive tomorrow!
I don't even wanna think how many hours total we've recorded...probably over 160 hours total so I dunno if you wanna start RIGHT from the beginning. I'll warn ya, the earlier episodes we were still finding our groove...you may have to shuffle through some mud before ya get to the gold. :P

Old 11-02-2012, 01:18 AM   #18
Protoman
The Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightstalker View Post
Haha I would listen backwards....... when the quality starts to disappear... you will know when you hit those early episodes when we didn't know what the HELL we were doing.
Follow Protoman on TWITTER - Protoman http://twitter.com/Protoman
Protoman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
canadian slag, podcast