Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 10-19-2012, 02:17 AM   #1
KoreanInferno
Alternator
Your workout routine?

I was asked by another boardie about my workout routine. Thought I'd share in what worked for me and hopefully get some insight and discussion from you fine folks.
-Routines that worked for you.
-Your favorite protein supplement (Whey Gourmet, Milk Chocolate or Vanilla Ice cream. If it doesn't taste good why drink it?).
-Questions on my routine for clarifications.
My terminology isn't the best, but I tried my best to describe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by caletn
hey man sorry to bug you, if you got time any tips you can give for getting big like you? like reps/sets, how often you workout, fav exercises? Thanks for any help!
No worries bud. This is going to be a long one...
I'm less active now that work is so hectic.
My usual routine I'd spend at least an hour at the gym 5 days a week.
I'd focus on different sets of muscles each day. A major muscle group (back, chest and shoulders) and a minor muscle group (legs, biceps and triceps). So each time I went to the gym I'd focus on back and biceps, chest and triceps or legs and shoulders and cycled through (or any combo of 1 major and 1 minor).

I liked all the exercise really. The soreness the next day let me know I did a good job, lol.

For back...
Lower back I'd do dead lifts, seated rows and extensions (it's a machine that holds your calfs and you lean forward all the way and bring yourself up and straight, eventually you hold weighted plates to really build muscle)
Then seated pull down rows.
Upper back I'd do standing rows, lateral pull downs wide and narrow
Then seated pull downs, behind the neck

Chest
Was mostly freeweights and a smith machine (so no spotters needed). On free weights I did dumb bell flies plain and simple.
On the smith I'd sit at a 45 degree angle and lift to work the upper pectorals which lifts the chest.
Then you change the seat to a horizontal and just bench press wide grip and then narrow grip to build chest bulk.
Then a declined 45 degree angle to work the lower pectoral to give you more definition under the chest.

Shoulders (Don't remember the names, just the movements)
So with free weights you'd grip them so your palm faces down and bring them straight up infront of you to work the front part of your shoulders.
Then the next you put your arms down at your sides, bend your elbows and lift the weights like you're doing the "chicken dance" to work the main shoulder muscles
Then the next is the rear of the shoulders. Seated you bend forward and with your arms bent and the sides of the weights infront of your face you open your arms so that the sides of the weights are now facing your ears.
Last is "shrugs". On the smith machine. You stand infront of the bar and grip it with your palms facing behind you and you shrug, that'll work the traps and make your neck disappear.

For the minor muscles...
Biceps
Wide grip curls and narrow grip curls with bar weights.
7-ups aka 21 burns. Is where you curl 7 times from arms straight down to 90 degrees. Then curl 7 from 90 degrees to your face. Then 7 from down to to your face (you'll feel like your arms are on fire, that's a good thing! :P)
That'll make the musles bigger, but to give it a peak you do hercules curls. Basically you find a machine with roped weights and grab one with each arm so you have your arms stretched out like Jesus. Then bring them in like you're showing you're muscles off at the beach.

Triceps
Standing pull downs (wide and narrow grips)
Seated dips, you put your hands on the bench and dip your butt down.
Skull crushers is where you lie flat on a bench and hold bar weights with your arms folded so your knuckles are on your forehead and then extend your arms.

Lastly, whew! Legs
You want to work on your calves and do dips with them.
Work the hamstrings with a lower weighted rope that can hook on your ankle and you bend your leg at the knee.
Weighted squats.
Then if there's a plate machine you put it at a comfortable weight and just push away from yourself.

So I'd do 1 major and 1 minor each gym trip and then do the next the next day, then the last set. Then you take a day off to heal. Then start the cycle again.

If you're a tiny guy you want to do 3 sets, 1 set of 10 reps on low weights, 1 set of 7 reps on moderate weights, 1 set of 5 reps on the highest weights you can manage.
If you're a bigger guy, then do 3 sets of 10 reps of each exercise on moderate to high weight.

Finish each exercise with a protein shake and a multivitamin. Have some meat with every meal as your body will eat your muscles the first chance it gets if you're low on protein.

If you are not used to working out like this go to the gym and do a full body workout of each of these exercises on low weights and only 1 set of 10 reps for each for 2 weeks, just to get your body accustomed. You'll notice differences in your body in a month doing the full routine and even better in 3-6 months. After that it's just maintenance and diet. Hope my descriptions are good enough. Good luck brother!
KoreanInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:29 AM   #2
Shepp
Maverick Hunter
Shepp's Ebay Auctions
Re: Your workout routine?

When I used to work out it was this:

Treadmill for first 20 minutes, running roughly 2 miles at maximum incline, varying the speed up and down between 3 mph and 8 mph.

Then on to the circuit alternating between legs and arms, ending with torso.

arm press, leg press, butterfly in, knees flex, arm flex, knee extend, arm extend, butterfly out, situp machine, back extend machine, side flexing left and right.

Usually 12 reps each, with enough weight for me to focus all of my rage and hostility into it.

Normally at about halfway through I'd throw up a bit and then finish.

God do I ever hate working out. I enter in calm, boost my rage up to the point of being the Incredible Hulk, and then by the time I leave I just want to smash every single car in the parking lot, light some fires, and kill every single person I see in the most brutal way possible. And that mood probably persists for the rest of the day, even after I've cooled down.

Yeah, I don't like me feeling like that. So I stopped working out. Now I just climb up and down stairs at home and work, lift a few heavier things at work, and walk my dog. Much more peaceful.

Its also why I hate playing sports (even something as simple as catch or frisbee). Boosts me right up to the point where I WANT to kill people. Best not to go there. But then I never liked playing sports anyways. Or really watching sports. Or hearing about sports scores.

Last edited by Shepp; 10-19-2012 at 09:34 AM.
Shepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 12:14 PM   #3
jjwankenobi
Midichlorian Count Zero

I bike to work daily. 26 km round trip. I stop when it's snowing or if there's ice on the ground.

So if you're a rush hour motorist in Richmond, BC and you've been given the finger by a cyclist wearing flourescent yellow and green, with a bike that's lit up like a Christmas tree and a Decepticon logo on the rear fender and an Autobot on the front then you've seen me .

jjwankenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 05:33 PM   #4
KoreanInferno
Alternator

Shepp...wouldn't want to work out next to you or bump into you after the gym. Haha.

jjwankenobi, 26km! Way to go man. Thanks for saying "give the finger". I've heard way too many people say "fingering" and I picture something totally different. Could still be considered and insult...or a crime. :S lol.
Old 10-25-2012, 05:50 PM   #5
Metroplex79
Little Guy with Firepower
Talking Re: Your workout routine?

My workout routine:

-jumping to conclusions
-chasing women
-chasing the bus
-flying off the handle
-running down the boss
-dodging responsibility
-pushing my luck

Gotta stay fit somehow...

A team that's only a shell of its former self
Savage Blitzkrieg Squad [MIC]

Metroplex79 is a good and safe city to do business in!!! Take the tour.
These people stopped by:
Cybertron.ca feedback thread

New and old buyers welcome here:
Cybertron.ca sales thread
[CONTINUING POST-TFCON UPDATE]
(last update: Feb 12/14 @ 9:15am EST, slight edit)
Metroplex79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:51 PM   #6
pud333
Animated

I hate working out in a gym or anything formal like that. But I love being outdoors, rain or shine. What I do, I do to stay in shape and healthy, but not to really to look buff or anything.

In the summer I make sure to do the grouse grind at least twice a week.

I also do back country hiking with a 35 lb backpack into the mountains. On a weekend trek, I'll probably cover about 25-40 kms, depending on what I am doing. I do this sort of thing at least a couple times during the summer, and during the winter, I try to do the same.

During the winter, when the grouse grind is closed, I'll just try to stay active, snow shoeing, skiing, skating, etc.

As far as actual specific exercises, I do core exercises to strengthen abs, back, etc.

Eat sensibly. Have some junk food now and then. Don't drink too much beer.

pud333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:46 PM   #7
KoreanInferno
Alternator

Metroplex79, lol. Awesome!

pud333, it's definitely healthier to be lean than to be big and bulky. My only reason for exercising so much was so that I could eat badly. Haha.
Old 10-30-2012, 12:33 PM   #8
jjwankenobi
Midichlorian Count Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoreanInferno View Post
Thanks for saying "give the finger". I've heard way too many people say "fingering" and I picture something totally different.
Sadly, I went to a Catholic private school where it was revealed in my senior year that at least 2 of the "Brothers" that taught us (one step below a priest but they still wore the collar) were convicted child molesters that were "reassigned" by the church 20 years prior to get them as far away from their victims in Nova Scotia as possible.

So I too think of something different when I hear "fingering"...

jjwankenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 01:15 AM   #9
Darth Cylon
addicted to mecha

During Spring and Summer, I run about 7 Km everyday after work, when it's still warm and bright outside.

During Winter, I excise less. But since I don't have a car I still walk a lot.
Old 11-03-2012, 03:02 AM   #10
silvciv888
Machine War

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoreanInferno View Post
I was asked by another boardie about my workout routine. Thought I'd share in what worked for me and hopefully get some insight and discussion from you fine folks.
-Routines that worked for you.
-Your favorite protein supplement (Whey Gourmet, Milk Chocolate or Vanilla Ice cream. If it doesn't taste good why drink it?).
-Questions on my routine for clarifications.
My terminology isn't the best, but I tried my best to describe!

I liked all the exercise really. The soreness the next day let me know I did a good job, lol.

sometimes too much soreness isn't good. but u should feel some exhaustion/soreness afterwards. maybe mention that if there are some stabbing pains or extreme tightness, etc there may be some damage.

Shoulders (Don't remember the names, just the movements)
So with free weights you'd grip them so your palm faces down and bring them straight up infront of you to work the front part of your shoulders.
Then the next you put your arms down at your sides, bend your elbows and lift the weights like you're doing the "chicken dance" to work the main shoulder muscles
Then the next is the rear of the shoulders. Seated you bend forward and with your arms bent and the sides of the weights infront of your face you open your arms so that the sides of the weights are now facing your ears.
Last is "shrugs". On the smith machine. You stand infront of the bar and grip it with your palms facing behind you and you shrug, that'll work the traps and make your neck disappear.

i believe you are referring to "raises." good to work out the three "heads" of the shoulder
KI covered it pretty well.

i think (to whomever was curious) you need to figure out your goals first - to get "big" or "ripped." do you want to be like ronnie coleman or gsp?

i found i got the best results mixing in medium weights at high reps, cardio (tread mill/spin) and lots of core. one of the easiest ways to get "big" is just to shed excess fat to give you a more "cut" look.

the most important thing is to lift what you are comfortable with and gradually work your way up. it is super weaksauce to see people sacrifice proper form in exchange for higher weight. not mention the greater risk of injury.

eating right is another big thing.
silvciv888 is offline   Reply With Quote