Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 09-27-2012, 01:03 PM   #21
jourdo
Twitter: @jourdo2k3
Re: NHL Lockout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robimus View Post
I've heard this "the owners take all the risk" statement before and I can not say that I agree with it. The owners do take the financial risk, but the players take a physical risk with their well being.

Thats the main reason I feel like the players deserve their hefty salaries a bit more.

Last season 85 players missed time with some form of concussion, an type of injury which can effect people very negativly long term. Skate slashes, broken bones, throwing ones self infront of a 100 mph slap shot - these are all things that normal workers don't have to do.

That said I do think something closer to a 50/50 split makes a lot more sense than the current arrangement.
To me the physical risk is part of the job they signed up for and are handsomely rewarded for doing. The players are free to find another source of employment like the majority of the 9 to 5'ers, but they chose professional sports as their career.

I know they put their bodies through hell, and many suffer long term as a result... but it was ultimately their choice to take the job.

I knew taking my job that I would not be popular, hear daily complaining, put my eyes through major strain issues, lose some of my hearing, and have back issues. I still chose to take the job knowing all the negatives. I can leave if I wish... but I like what I do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCompose View Post
I may need a Seattle jersey soon
It won't be the Oilers. Maybe the Seattle Blue Jackets?

Quote:
I don't think the league is fixed. Its just mathematics and luck.
So much this. I don't see how Gary has any influence on who wins the cup.

TFCC Runamuck x 3 Achieved! Now looking for Lego Ninjago NRG Jay for Christmas. If you can help, let me know.
jourdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:26 PM   #22
pud333
Animated

It's times like this i am thankful MMA doesn't have a union or off season. Selfish? Yes.

pud333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:48 PM   #23
sikkbones
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pud333 View Post
It's times like this i am thankful MMA doesn't have a union or off season. Selfish? Yes.
I feel the same way about WWE lol...

btw Eb games has the NHL wii slapshot bundle on sale for 2.99..

Try playing it. Message comes up that the players are on strike.
sikkbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 03:56 PM   #24
DCompose
Robot Master

Damn Wii
Old 09-27-2012, 04:10 PM   #25
juxtapose519
Robot Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
I think Carey sucks.

How DARE you?!

Trade | Cybertron Feedback | TFW Feedback | Collection
juxtapose519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:21 AM   #26
Prowl_2009
A Decepticons Downfall

The cancellation of the remaining pre-season games was announced last night...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1921020.html

"Logic is the Ultimate Weapon." - Prowl

Feedback: http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showt...ght=Prowl_2009

Blog: Infinite Earths
Twitter: @InfinteEarths
Facebook: Infinite Earths
Prowl_2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:25 PM   #27
DCompose
Robot Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by pud333 View Post
They also don't have a card for this PPV ... Ouch!! Hehe had to do it
Old 09-28-2012, 08:55 PM   #28
pud333
Animated

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCompose View Post
They also don't have a card for this PPV ... Ouch!! Hehe had to do it
That's Zuffa's fault for making shitty cards, haha.

pud333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 04:04 AM   #29
Robimus
Iacon North Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by jourdo View Post
To me the physical risk is part of the job they signed up for and are handsomely rewarded for doing. The players are free to find another source of employment like the majority of the 9 to 5'ers, but they chose professional sports as their career.

I know they put their bodies through hell, and many suffer long term as a result... but it was ultimately their choice to take the job.
It's a completely different situation than a 9-5 job though. On almost a daily basis they risk injury - I can't say that about my own job even though there is some danger in my work place due to the nature of the wonderful place.

I'd imagine most don't although things like construction work and emergency services employees would have maybe higher risk jobs than hockey players do I'd imagine.

Things like back problems or repetitive strain injuries are pretty insignificant next to getting a slap shot in the throat. There is a risk/reward situation in play.

They are certainly agreeing to the risk but the reward still has to be there as well.

The owners are not risking more than the players are in that sense. Also these players have to put their bodies through the same abuse through the junior and minor league ranks for very little money(in a lot of cases likely less than you or I make).

The average AHL salary is roughly $55,000 a year. Other minor league hockey players are more like $22,000 a year. Sure some guys are likely playing there for the love of the game, but that isn't a lot of money.

Its the light at the end of the tunnel that has to serve as motivation.

A question to Jourdo is this, in your eyes how much to the players deserve to get paid? Right now the league min is around $500,000, with the average being maybe 2.2 million or so.

Its a lot of money all the way around, but how much less should they be getting?

And if they agree to less what would happen if a player like Ovechkin, or Malkin, or whoever decided to stay in Russia? Would that make the NHL better or worse in the long term?

I just don't see this situation as a simple one. If the NHL wants to cut the salaries by 10% to 20%(by all accounts) the top end players in the league are going to have other options available to them.

No one forced the NHL to sign players to those contracts and no one forced the NHL teams to spend to the top of the salary cap. Yet they do it, then they come to the players and ask for some of the money back.

Its kinda a weird dynamic they have going there and I'm not sure what the answer is. I recognize that long term the best deal for teams like the Jets, Oilers and Flames is one that favors the owners, but at the same time if the owners don't agree to put in some controls(like how Philly just screwed Nashville, basically forcing them to sign Weber to a huge 14 year contract) then I don't see how its good for anyone.

Less money to the players will not make the league more competetive if Philly is still allowed to operate in that fashion.

Anyway, thats more than I planned on typing I just kinda enjoy the subject

Visit the official TFcon Toronto website for all the details!
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 04:39 AM   #30
Sun Swipe Prime
Canadian Slag

Quote:
No one forced the NHL to sign players to those contracts and no one forced the NHL teams to spend to the top of the salary cap. Yet they do it, then they come to the players and ask for some of the money back.
I agree with you're whole line of reasoning Robimus, not just the quoted text.