Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 07-24-2008, 11:29 AM   #41
FreedomGundam
Freedom, ikimasu!
Re: so i finally saw animated...

Now, I wasn't around the fandom when RiD, Armada, Energon & Cybertron aired (got back into TFs with Superlink airing then Galaxy Force, didn't care much for their US counterparts), but was there generally a similar reaction when each of those series aired?

Inherently, it comes down to the fandom being grouped into 2 sides:
- the ones who'll take all the new series (all being a new take on the Transformers idea)
- the ones who will go "It's not G1! Just gimme more G1!"

And I'm just throwing thoughts out: now, while TFA is a new take on the Transformers concept, people have to realize that some characters can be considered "alternate universe" versions of the G1 character, while others are not. TFA Prime and Bumblebee can be considered "new takes" to G1 Prime and Bumblebee, but TFA Prowl pretty much has NOTHING to do with G1 Prowl (it's just a name, after all; and we all know what Hasbro does to names).

And off on another tangent: I do think that Kaye's voice works for this incarnation of Prime. Cullen does a good "I'm old and have been through a lot of crap" Prime, Chalk does a good "I'm a younger, efficient, and charismatic leader" Prime, while Kaye's voice works well as a "I'm not sure I can be a leader" Prime...

Last edited by FreedomGundam; 07-24-2008 at 11:33 AM.
FreedomGundam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 12:21 PM   #42
Bountyan
Cybertron

I actually like Optimus Prime's voice in this show, it makes him seem more like the "nervous new leader" type, instead of the "in charge, experienced, powerful leader" in the way Ultra Magnus is.

Hey, I just realized that Optimus Prime and Ultra Magnus pretty much switched roles in Animated from their g1 roles. :P
Old 07-24-2008, 03:26 PM   #43
exoskeleton

i think animated will probably grow on me because it's the closest incarnation that can be related to G1. i dont think it'll ever be as great as G1 is to me, but TFA has more potential than cybertron or energon ever did.

OR MY ELECTRONIC MUSIC

exoskeleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 03:33 PM   #44
exoskeleton

speaking of Prowl though, i just bought the Universe Prowl yesterday, YAY!

OR MY ELECTRONIC MUSIC

exoskeleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 03:50 PM   #45
WhiteRabbit
Wrecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
Have you noticed how Prowl is the only Animated character with the wrong colors? All the other figures have logical or G1-ish decos. Prowl should have been black and white imo.
Prowl's colors are not in any way "wrong", because this is TFA Prowl, and that's what color TFA Prowl is.

I think people would enjoy this show a lot more if they didn't spend all their time thinking that it was trying to be the same thing as G1.

It's not G1, it is its own thing, so why decide it sucks* just because it has unique design elements from previous incarnations?

*(comment not directed at anyone in particular, just the people who closed their minds off to the show for very shortsighted reasons)
WhiteRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 05:28 PM   #46
Incepticon
Double Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteRabbit View Post
Prowl's colors are not in any way "wrong", because this is TFA Prowl, and that's what color TFA Prowl is.

I think people would enjoy this show a lot more if they didn't spend all their time thinking that it was trying to be the same thing as G1.
This is true and everything, but given that every single "old" character except for Prowl, Starscream and Shockwave are throwbacks to how they were originally colored in G1, I totally understand why some people think those three should have been as well. It's not so much a complaint as it is just a preference or mere observation.

I have no idea what the logic behind Starscream & Shockwave's color updates might be, but I'm willing to bet that Prowl was recolored specifically because Jazz was also on tap from the beginning and they didn't want both 'ninja bots' to be primarily white.

Given Hasbro's love for repaints, I won't be surprised if we eventually get Prowl & Starscream figures in their G1 schemes. We already saw a SS clone in G1 colors, so it's probably only a matter of time before it happens.
Incepticon is offline   Reply With Quote