Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 09-06-2014, 11:56 PM   #1
CanBot
Cybertron
AOE movie line...not to beat a dead horse, but..

So, as I look at all the AOE movie line stuff, I think back to the other movie lines and wonder, what happened?

I realize lots of people must like the AOE line, but for me it almost looked and felt like a non-movie line, in some bad ways. I picked up the only bot I wanted (Leader Grimlock) and there's literally NOTHING else that appealed to me. When I look back at other movies, you got things like Ultimate Bumblebee or Devastator...love em or hate em, they sure were better than say, Stomp n Chomp Grimlock, which was similarly priced.

Does it all come down to Hasbro spending less money on the line? Aiming it at a younger market? Just what WAS the reason that this line doesn't seem to have the fun factor that I've seen with other movies (and HFTD, which I kinda lump in with the movies)? Is this what we'll have to look forward to with future movie lines? As it stands, I'm having a tough time even adding Leader Grimlock to my movie collection, as it looks quite out of place (size, chromey).

Any thoughts?
Old 09-07-2014, 12:21 AM   #2
Undrave
Canadian Slag
Re: AOE movie line...not to beat a dead horse, but..

To me it feels like DOTM déja vu, and that we'll see the AOE line warm pegs until next year for sure. It's DOTM but without the charming Human Alliance Basic or Cyberverse line. It already feels like we're not getting Snarl at all...he should be out in the US by now!

I got two AOE toys: Scorn and Deluxe Drift. Drift is a superb toy! Very solid, simple enough transformation, solid join, just enough poseability (missing wrist swivel mostly), doesn't feel unpainted, has a silly head but cool accesories, I really recommand it. Scorn on the other hand... he looks...cool sorta... but he's just not FUN. The beast mode doesn't really peg together and in robot mode he somehow feels completely lacking in personality :/

I have a rotating cast of robots on a shelf, and when I get something cool I add one and remove something that doesn't thrill me anymore... Scorn stayed there for like...two weeks?
Undrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 01:58 AM   #3
Team Jetfire
More zero's in the behind

The AOE 'generation' deluxe figures are actually pretty good. Crosswise and Drift and some of the best figures from all the of movies and Hound is on par with any other transformer out there. The issue is that the movie designs are simply no longer appealing. The first movie came out 7 years ago, that's a long time...
Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 03:24 AM   #4
Undrave
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Jetfire View Post
The AOE 'generation' deluxe figures are actually pretty good. Crosswise and Drift and some of the best figures from all the of movies and Hound is on par with any other transformer out there. The issue is that the movie designs are simply no longer appealing. The first movie came out 7 years ago, that's a long time...
Pretty much this, we're really just burnt out on this type of design. Time for something new dangit!

Crosshair has a MAJOR flaw, IMO, is that his windows are clear. If they had been tinted some color (shade of blue or green or just smokey grey) then the back window would have provided something to the trench coat illusion instead of having a hole there at the back.

Also, all the Dinobots but Scorn (and POSSIBLY Snarl to some degree) have the GODDAMN GORRILA ARMS! This is 2014 for pete sake! There is NO EXCUSE for a Voyager class toy to not be able to hold his bloody weapon correctly!!

Last edited by Undrave; 09-07-2014 at 03:27 AM.
Undrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 08:54 AM   #5
xueyue2
Canadian Slag

Up to now I haven't bought one single AOE movie toy, while I pretty much have all the major characters/major modules from last 3 movies, that already explained something.

sell/trade/wanted thread
feedback

Last edited by xueyue2; 09-07-2014 at 10:31 AM.
xueyue2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 09:12 AM   #6
justprime
Animated

For better or worse I actully liked the movie toys,... up untill AOE,.. as an adult they were complex and yes a little fragile but were fun to transform and what I came to expect the line would evolve into,... not a kiddies line but something for the inbetween age to adult , a complex interesting puzzel that made a realistic vehicle, etc, yet also had the simpler versions for the younger crowd...AOE killed that (with the exception being the voyager line)... dumbed down the toys to the point that for rest of us they really are not appealing (there unique nitch lost they have become just like all the other transforming toys a wonder why the ko's/dollar store TF's do so well) ( and hasbro shut down or short supplied the other lines to focus on these leaving a void) I wonder what the future brings with move toys like this,... transformers appeal was the challange of the puzzel mated with the playabilitie of a quality toy,... seems to me anyways that hasbro has forgotten this,.. with this movie line and the vast number of older kids/adults that collect or play with transformers, the store shelves and sales I am sure will show this in days to come sorry but transformer are not a babies r us toyline and hasbro would do well to remember this and get back to what the toy line was,.. that has sustained a 30 year interest (speaking of which hasbro has seemed to all but forgotten while takara/tomy has not) time will tell if the golden age has come and gone for hasbro's Tf's or just opened the door wider for third parties to finnally take there place at the head of the dinner table and it may have started with a poorly thought out and executed movie toy line... AOE
justprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 09:24 AM   #7
wervenom
Big Daddy
wervenom's Ebay Auctions

Originally I was just going to stick with the Dinobots from this line just because they were something different as far as movie toys went. I had no interest in any of the traditional bots, such as Drift, Crosswise or anything else. The other day I picked up Galvatron and to be honest I have been looking at this thing saying what a POS. I love Galvatron as a character but this thing is just horrible. Transforming him is the equivalent of putting together a bankers box, there is no imagination to this toy whatsoever and I can't see how the other bots would be any different. Even with the inevitable price adjustment that will come at some point I don't think I will be keeping him. Perhaps with how difficult some of the ROTF fiugres were to transform Hasbro decided to simplify them, but I would expect far more for a voyager class figure than what he is. As far as the rest of the toyline I will stick with Snarl and Sludge (or whatever the names are) if and when they come out but they rest will be a pass. IMO this has been far more disappointing as a toyline than I though possible.
wervenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 10:22 AM   #8
Wheeljack Off
Banned
Wheeljack Off's Ebay Auctions

Baysformers ARE A dead horse and deserve to be beaten.
Wheeljack Off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 11:43 AM   #9
Mega-Prime 316
Cybertron

Quote:
Originally Posted by wervenom View Post
Originally I was just going to stick with the Dinobots from this line just because they were something different as far as movie toys went. I had no interest in any of the traditional bots, such as Drift, Crosswise or anything else. The other day I picked up Galvatron and to be honest I have been looking at this thing saying what a POS. I love Galvatron as a character but this thing is just horrible. Transforming him is the equivalent of putting together a bankers box, there is no imagination to this toy whatsoever and I can't see how the other bots would be any different. Even with the inevitable price adjustment that will come at some point I don't think I will be keeping him. Perhaps with how difficult some of the ROTF fiugres were to transform Hasbro decided to simplify them, but I would expect far more for a voyager class figure than what he is. As far as the rest of the toyline I will stick with Snarl and Sludge (or whatever the names are) if and when they come out but they rest will be a pass. IMO this has been far more disappointing as a toyline than I though possible.
I have not bought any of the AOE line nor do I intend to. When they dumbed down the transformations that kinda killed the line for me. As far as Galvatron being a POS, not surprised, even in the movie they cheated us out a a decent transformation!
Mega-Prime 316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 11:57 AM   #10
elburrito
Animated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheeljack Off View Post
Baysformers ARE A dead horse and deserve to be beaten.
Echo echo echo

Sale & Trade

elburrito is offline   Reply With Quote