Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 08-10-2018, 03:57 PM   #11
steamwhistle
Crossover
Re: The Transformers G1 Toys Appreciation and Discussion Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuffyprime View Post
For me, nothing beats G1, takes me back to when I was 8 years old. I have such fond memories of that time. That's why I'm absolutely loving the G1 packaging on the boxes. For me, it is not about the toys, I have the toys several times over... it is about being taken back to my childhood.

I know I'm gonna love this thread!

What was your first transformer?

My dad got me the cassettes: Rumble and Laserbeak
My first deluxe car was (unfortunately) ironhide lol
But then I got a G1 jazz after so I was a happy camper.

Cheers
My first Transformer was Trailbreaker. My aunt gave it to me as a Christmas present. I recently -- within the past few years -- picked up the Takara reissue of it. I still haven't opened it. I likely still have my original one somewhere, buried in a box, but I know the head had broken off of it, and I had tried to glue the pieces back together.

I ended up collecting a lot of TFs, and really enjoyed the combiners. I sold most of them after high school, making a tiny profit. Oops. Today, my collection goal is to have all of G1 through the animated movie, and anything else I previously had in my collection (Metroplex, Trypticon, Computron, Abominus, and a few others). Also, any other TFs that had an Earth-style disguise mode. Robots is disguise, right?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Feedback thread: http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showt...t=steamwhistle
steamwhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 11:15 AM   #12
QuadESL63
Canadian Slag

I grew up with Diaclone and G1 so the originals have a special place in my collections. I don't have a lot compare to some of you here (only the ones that I like) but they certainly are the most valuable items in my mind. I also have some reissues, mostly from the Japanese Collector's book-style and the Encore series. I don't think I will ever sell them, even if I quit collecting some days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamwhistle View Post
Has anyone picked up the recent reissues?

Bumblebee, Swerve, Tailgate, Outback, Starscream, Devastator, Hot Rod?

If so, have you opened them, and can you provide any thoughts on the quality? Comparision with original G1s and/or previous reissues?
I only have the new Walmart Starscream and the 4 mini cars. I have opened Starscream and the quality is on par with the earlier e-Hobby and Encore ones, which I also have. By looking through the packaging the mini cars should be on par with the Japanese reissues as well. At least they are better than the Encore Bruticus and the Hasbro reissue Seacons from a few years back. How do they compare to the originals? The plastic material they used is not the same in the first place. Is it better or worst? No, it is just different.

However, the cardboard Hasbro used for these Walmart exclusives are not the same as the originals and not even comparable to the Japanese reissues. It is thin and looks cheap to be honest.

Looking for:
  • Nothing... spent too much lately

Last edited by QuadESL63; 08-11-2018 at 11:17 AM.
QuadESL63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 11:31 AM   #13
urfwc
Beasty

I agree with the quality of the cardboard, but as Zuffy was mentioning, it brings me back to that happy place and for me its not the quality of the cardboard but the artwork on it, for me anyway. I do hope this reissue trend continues.

I wish they would have had the foam inserts but im really enjoying these reissues.

http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=65059
urfwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 12:18 PM   #14
predahank
Storing is hoarding

Foam would've been cool especially for people wanting to use it to restore a vintage giftset.

I had a feeling they would go with a plastic clamshell though
predahank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 03:34 PM   #15
Autobotz24
G1 Junkie
Autobotz24's Ebay Auctions

I've recently picked up the Walmart G1 Swerve, Tailgate and Devestator. I've been collecting the reissues/commemorative series since 2003 and right now I'm only missing Rodimus Prime. I have no desire to get Powermaster Optimus Prime or Ricochet as I never had a connection to them as a kid. I keep all them in model car display cases.
Still on the hunt for Bumblebee and Outback

Feedback thread
http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showt...ght=Autobotz24

Among the winners, there is no room for the weak
Autobotz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 04:57 PM   #16
QuadESL63
Canadian Slag

I grew up with both Japanese and US G1 (yes, I came from abroad) so I am impartial to the Hasbro packaging. Well, they are both almost the same for Seasons 1 to 3 stuffs at the time anyway. That's (partly) explain why I am not going crazy with these Walmart exclusives. No, I am not saying I don't like these. I am just not as passionate to these like you guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autobotz24 View Post
I have no desire to... Ricochet...
Unlike you I am crazy about Ricochet/Stepper. I can't really explain why. What's not cool about merging "Jazz" and Targetmaster together even though he (and Artfire) was not in any show, US and Japanese alike? I have all three: original Japanese G1, Commemorative and Collector's editions. Talking about excessive LOL.

Can I talk about Japanese G1? I am a fans of Raiden and Lio Kaiser. Hope more people here can share theirs.

Looking for:
  • Nothing... spent too much lately
QuadESL63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 06:59 PM   #17
Zenith27
Woodward's G1 lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by oroboru View Post
https://tfsource.com/products/view/product_id/2735/

Looks like Encore. I think there were two releases - vintage and animated colours.
5:30 this fella does a pretty comprehensive comparison in French. Luckily this is a .ca Transformers site!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpe4v-KXZXA
Old 08-13-2018, 11:21 AM   #18
Omegatron
Gen 1

O.K., so I'm old enough that my first Transformer was actually a Gobot (Jeeper Creeper to be exact). I distinctly remember seeing a Transformer commercial on TV and thinking to myself "These guys a ripping off Gobots!". Then a little later I was at a friend's house and he had Bluestreak. I realized then that Transformers were the way to go. That and watching the G1 cartoon on Saturday mornings.

I can remember walking into Sears (because that's where I got the majority of my G1 collection when I was a kid), and seeing all the packaging lined up in a row down the toy aisle. I still think its more dramatic and impactful than the modern stuff.

Seeing the new reissues on the shelf brings back warm memories and I really hope the line continues. I don't really need any of it but its nice to see it again. I do hope they continue and get into some of the later stuff because that I certainly would buy.

Good topic thread guys, lets keep if going.
Omegatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 10:36 PM   #19
imfallenangel
Cybertron

The one G1 that I had but was "stolen" (borrowed by someone in the family and never returned and no longer talks to me.. note: there's several others but this is the one that really stings) is Omega Supreme.

I so wish for a decently priced re-issue.

Every time I learned of a re-issue or such, I missed the window and it ends up tripling in price by the time I learn of it, putting him outside what I'd be willing to spend.
imfallenangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 01:31 AM   #20
Robimus
Iacon North Scout

I guess a bit like Omegatron, my first Transformer was Pumper

I think my first legit one was Cliffjumper, followed shortly there after by Jazz and Skywarp.

Christmas 1986 was the biggest haul. Galvatron, Cyclonus, Hotrod, Blurr, good times.

Visit the official TFcon Toronto website for all the details!
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote