Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 08-28-2008, 08:50 PM   #21
exoskeleton
Re: My recent POV on Collecting TF's

my significant other has no problem with it, my tf case is even in the living room in perfect sight

OR MY ELECTRONIC MUSIC

exoskeleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 09:19 PM   #22
Cheers Ian
twitter @cheersian

I think all these posts boil down to this -

Some people think Transformers are a waste of money, but at least you might be able to resell them in the future, unlike some things that are more socially acceptible to purchase.

Cheers!
-Ian
Cheers Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 11:50 PM   #23
montague78

Quote:
Originally Posted by cky_ibm View Post
I think all these posts boil down to this -

Some people think Transformers are a waste of money, but at least you might be able to resell them in the future, unlike some things that are more socially acceptible to purchase.

Cheers!
-Ian
My point exactly!!!

OH S**T!!
montague78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 12:01 AM   #24
montague78

Ya don't get me wrong guys but it is nice to make a lil profit once in a while. Now i myself don't collect to make a profit. I collect because i love TF's.
As for those who feel like they have to defend themselves...well that sucks cause ya really shouldn't have to. But their are relationships ppl are in where this happens all the time. And some of us just get lucky and not have to deal with that. Instead they actually get a great support system. Which is very important in any relationship. But im getting too into Dr. Phil styles here lolzzz!!!

But as Ian above me plainly said, at least you can get something out of selling TF's as opposed to nothing.

Bottom line.....everyone has they're "vice", some just cost more than others.

w00t!

OH S**T!!
montague78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 12:18 AM   #25
Dark Rage
白人看不懂

I can't really say that people who buy transformers who just simply plan to re-sell them later is even a collector. The words, dealer, re-seller or scalper comes to mind. Sure we might have to sell it, but if we don't buy it in the first place just to enjoy it (and the meaning of enjoying a sealed unopened box might even be controversial if that's a collector).

Honestly, if you want to earn money, you're better off investing with financial products than buying and hoarding up every transformer you think might go up in value.
Dark Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 12:27 AM   #26
rush12345

The thing about second hand things is that the price of them will usually depriciate(well the stuff I'm trying to sell, anyways). Even if it's MISB you will rarely make your money back or even break even, well for me anyways haha. People only want to buy off you if they can get a deal off you, they wouldn't get otherwise.

However comic statues have great market value which is a good reason to start collecting
rush12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 12:37 AM   #27
Dark Rage
白人看不懂

MISB can only help you if you have people who will actually buy it.

Honestly, who has the dough or is willing enough to buy a bunch of MISB G1 items? The liquidity is low.
Dark Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 01:14 AM   #28
BraveFortressMaximus
Beasty

Bottom line if you collect transformer because it something that make you happy instead of having the mind set of trying to sell it all in the end. I find no point of every collecting if you intend to sell.
It defeat of the whole point of every collecting figure. In the end another person who actually get more joy out of the transformer for there collection than you having it be sold on ebay. In the end you should put your money where your mouth is xD.

Last edited by BraveFortressMaximus; 08-29-2008 at 01:17 AM.
BraveFortressMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 10:57 AM   #29
frenzy2005

I'm with most of you in that I collect for myself. Don't know if it happened to you, but my mother sold all my toys when I stopped playing with them. Now I have an uncontrollable addiction to purchase toys.

As for resale, I don't think about it. I do think however, that one day when I'm old and have a big grey beard that my entire collection can go for a few bucks on ebay, but that's a long ways away.

If only my mother hadn't sold them, I'd probably have more money in my savings account.
frenzy2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 12:17 PM   #30
FreedomGundam
Freedom, ikimasu!

I think the whole "at least I can sell them off" only goes so far.

I've been thinking about selling some of my collection. When brought up to my girlfriend, who, unfortunately for this arguement, is an accountant, the following conversation occurs (keep in mind that, while she tolerated my collecting habits, she was never "for" me collecting):
Me: "Sweetie, I'm thinking about selling a good chunk of my collection (for various reasons that I won't elaborate here)"
Her: "That's odd for you. But still, at least that'll clear up some space and put aside some extra cash."
Me: "Yep, exactly."
Her: "Are you going to be making a profit, or are you gonna be losing money?"
Me: "Well, as soon as I cut the tape on the box when I got each figure, I've lost money already."
Her: "So why bother with this hobby when you know will be losing money?"
Me: "I'm not in this hobby to *make* money, you know."
Her: "Still, if you're not gonna make money out of it, it seems like a pretty big waste of time/effort to collect..."
Me: "..."
FreedomGundam is offline   Reply With Quote