Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 08-28-2008, 11:39 AM   #11
JSon
Robo Warrior
Re: My recent POV on Collecting TF's

Transformers hold their value better than actual currency!

I don't collect to sell, but I do justify my collecting to my friends by telling them this.
JSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 11:45 AM   #12
-KG-
Kranix

I collect for myself, not to make money. That being said, it's always nice to know that if you need or want to sell your collection, that you will get some value back. You won't get what you paid, especially for recent items, but there is some value in it.

I look at it this way. I spend money on toys. My friends spend money on cigarettes. Which one is better?

-KG- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 11:48 AM   #13
Transbot90210
Nexus Maximus

I see your POV and agree with it if you had to put up an arguement with your significant other. WHat I don't get is why you would need to defend yourself. TF collecting is a part of me and I would rather leave a woman than my collection. This does not mean that I will ever choose TFs over the woman I love but it does mean that I will choose me over any woman I love. Love me completely and unconditionally or else a life long relationship will never work. I will add I would never spend money that would take food out of anyones mouth or effect any bill payments.

As for selling, I personally believe if I have to get to the point where I need to sell my collection for money that I have failed in life. I don;t want to fail so that fact is one reason why I still collect the things I love.

Just my POV

Thanx
Transbot90210
Transbot90210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 11:50 AM   #14
Hound
Robot in Disguise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
Very hard to make a profit on a toy released in say, the past 8 years. Especially in Canada.
Sure it's hard, but it can happen, and that was the point of the original poster; his TFs didn't drop in value like his wife's purses and shoes. In some cases he did make a profit. A complete TF in good condition holds its value well.

And I agree that it is much more difficult to profit in Canada, but you can usually sell them for at least retail if MISB or fairly close to that if opened. As you said, there is no guarantee, but there is no such thing as a guaranteed-profit investment anyway. Anyone who tells you there is isn't telling you everything.

Last edited by Hound; 08-28-2008 at 11:53 AM.
Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 12:56 PM   #15
astrana
Nexus Maximus

different between TF and purses.

the older the TF is the more valuable it might get, purses? we are talk about fashion here lol...
no one will pay for something from years ago, unless it's in value village
astrana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 01:21 PM   #16
Hound
Robot in Disguise

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrana View Post
I believe that was the whole point behind the original post.
Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 02:45 PM   #17
chans formers
raff ow roud

Quote:
Originally Posted by jourdo View Post
I'd agree with this. I collect for myself and myself only. There are better ways in the world to make a buck.
i totally agree on this one.my collection is for me,myself and i only.as for misb,i understand leaving it in the sealed box if its a double but whats the point of buying it if you dont open it up and play/admire/check the bot out?(plus,the more misb bots u have,the less shelf space you end up with.)the only way i can see anyone making a living out of "selling tfs" is if youre one of those "shady"creeps out there who go to walmart and buy a whole case of the same bot(concept bb comes to mind)thereby making it hard for the true fans to even find it,then mark it up to stupid level prices knowing somewhere theres a bot fan willing to give u his/her arm or leg for it.
Old 08-28-2008, 02:49 PM   #18
pandaprime
aficionado!

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrana View Post
TFs are made of plastic, are purses?

Feedback thread:Cybertron.ca
Items for sale thread: Selling TFs
pandaprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 03:14 PM   #19
crimbot
Some Guy

I'm fairly sure that my investment in my collection is a loss. I spend a lot of time and money on obtaining my gems. It's nice to know that they have some value, and I have even made money on some when I've had to sell, but I collect for the shear enjoyment of it. If I ever sell, I'll be lucky to make back half or a third of what I have invested on the whole thing. There are a couple that may be worth more, but on the whole... loss.
Old 08-28-2008, 03:24 PM   #20
onecoin
Banned

The shoe and purse industry is mostly a copy/knockoff industry. Where everything that is affordable is generally a copy of something that is not affordable created by top designers. Like we shop for authetic transformers, there are authentic/original purses and shoes. Just look at what they use in Sex and City. Its just the authentic stuff cost thousands and thousands of dollars and that stuff actually does retain its value or even increase in value.
onecoin is offline   Reply With Quote