Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers Customs and Artwork

Old 04-20-2008, 11:03 PM   #61
Bluewolf77
Generation 2
Re: Repair Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Rage View Post
Hey, does anyone have any suggestions on how to clean up the metal parts of a G2 Devastator? I don't want to use a really harsh chemical or anything, but there's this possible oxidation on the metal parts, and I was hoping to clean it up a bit.

Also, I was hoping to give the plastic a safe, but clean scrubbing and remove the old stickers and add reprolables onto it. Any suggestions on how to safely clean the plastic too?

Although it might not be possible, and I'm guessing I might end up really rusting up the metal.
If it is to remove rust off the metal the best way I found is to use a rotary tool and a medium wire wheel on a low to medium speed and the rust will leave and the part will have a nice new look then coat it with a thin layer of clear nail polish so the rust will not reform, this way will work on plastic too but at the lowest speed only
Bluewolf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 02:39 PM   #62
Zeralia
Send a message via AIM to Zeralia Send a message via MSN to Zeralia Send a message via Skype™ to Zeralia
Repair Tips Needed...

Have any of you had to do minor (or major) repairs to TFs you've bought that have had some pretty bad damage done when transforming them? If so, what have you used? If it comes down to actually gluing pieces back, what kind is best?

I'm asking because I recently bought a Binaltech Prowl and when I went to go move his arms down, one broke off and literally disintegrated on me - it snapped at the shoulder and then I discovered that the elbow joint is so loose that the lower arm barely holds in. I'm annoyed by this point and go to give a test prod to the other arm...only to have it snap off too. Same piece, same spot. It such a tiny piece too, round and looked like it screwed in somewhere. How it attached to the arm, I have no clue. It was somehow connected to the hood of the car, that much I know.

So my Prowl is basically armless. There's little chance of me ever transforming him back (he'd be missing his front wheels). So I'd like to try to see if I can't glue him back together at least and just be very careful if I go to pose his arms. I just wonder if it's even worth going to find glue or just bring him back to the Comic Book Shoppe and browse around online for another Prowl. :/

Frustrating, either way. And I was so happy to have found him too! At least I got some amusement out of the poorly, but funny, translated instructions.
Zeralia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 02:53 PM   #63
Dark Rage
白人看不懂
Re: Repair Tips Needed...

No superglue? Kind of hard to picture it without...pictures, haha.

There is a customizing/kitbashing/repair sub forum though, this thread should shortly be moved there.
Dark Rage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 03:03 PM   #64
brr-icy
G1 Collector
Send a message via MSN to brr-icy
Re: Repair Tips Needed...

there's a specific glue i use, it might be hard to find but it's called loctite 409, 10x stronger than regular superglue, if you can find some it should help

my collection ^ Brr-icy Photgraphy on Facebook
Mostly G1 Japan Want list My Blog
my feedback:
Cybertron.ca
TFW
brr-icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 03:14 PM   #65
Zeralia
Send a message via AIM to Zeralia Send a message via MSN to Zeralia Send a message via Skype™ to Zeralia

Haha, oops. Didn't mean to pose in the wrong form. My bad

Pictures to come, once I get my camera to co-operate. :P

Thanks for the tip, brr-icy. I'll go see if I can't find it when stores open tomorrow.

EDIT: Here's some links to pictures.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...n/100_1778.jpg
Two shots of armless Prowl.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...n/100_1785.jpg
Both arms, including the small pieces that snapped. Both have a tiny metal screw. The arm on the right side is in two pieces, since the piece for the ball joint doesn't fit snuggly and it's constantly coming loose.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...n/100_1784.jpg
Blurry shot, sorry. But you can sort've see where the small white pieces should be screwed in. What I can't remember is how those were attached to the shoulders/arms.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...n/100_1788.jpg
I managed to fit one half of the arm back on by pinning it with the doors, but it's still loose. Just an idea on how it's supposed to be, I think?

Last edited by Zeralia; 05-19-2008 at 04:49 PM.
Zeralia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 03:40 PM   #66
brr-icy
G1 Collector
Send a message via MSN to brr-icy

np, glad to help,

my collection ^ Brr-icy Photgraphy on Facebook
Mostly G1 Japan Want list My Blog
my feedback:
Cybertron.ca
TFW
brr-icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 07:52 PM   #67
Dark Rage
白人看不懂

I'm currently trying to remove a peg from a wing flap, but it's rusty and it's jammed.

I'm using a small nail and hammer to hit the peg off, but now it seems to be totally jammed. Any tips?
Old 06-05-2008, 09:43 PM   #68
TTT
OutOfCommissionToys.com

Try hitting it out the other way(if you were only trying 1 way to begin with), apparently there is a rough bit on 1 end of the pegs(pins) so usually 1 way is much easier than the other...just gotta figure out which
Also, heating up the pin by touching a soldering iron to 1 end helps a lot...not too much heat though !
Old 06-05-2008, 10:09 PM   #69
Dark Rage
白人看不懂

Thanks TTT, unfortunately this direction I'm pulling it out IS the easier way. Sadly I tried the other way before hand, and this process might have expended the head of the other end. I'm gonna dip a junker TF in some Diet Coke or Hydrogen Peroxide tomorrow night to see if it affects the plastic, since both those liquid I heard were best at removing rust.
Old 06-05-2008, 11:53 PM   #70
dak
Master Creator

if there is some pin sticking out, have you tried yanking it out with some vice grips.
dak is offline   Reply With Quote