Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers Feedback and Reviews

Old 11-03-2012, 04:01 PM   #21
Whisky Tango Foxtrot
Nexus Maximus
Re: Transformers Prime Episode 52 - Darkest Hour - Discussion

This episode pretty much killed my interest in this series. If the next season does turn out to be the last (and if it does turn out to only be thirteen episodes long) I might watch it just for completeness' sake, but I have no more investment in anything in the Aligned continuity. It's just been an endless string of squandered opportunity.

And the worst thing is, this was pretty much the last hope for the Transformers franchise; the last chance for them to prove that Beast Wars wasn't just a fluke and that the franchise is capable of storytelling that doesn't insult its audience's intelligence. As it stands, the toys rot on the pegs, the brand is irrevocably associated with the Michael Bay shitpiles, and it now seems that there's no hope for things to improve for a long time to come, if ever. The fact that we've got another set of Bay movies coming up in a couple of years just clinches it.

As of right now, Transformers is dead.
Old 11-03-2012, 05:11 PM   #22
Perceptor
Alternator

Yup, I too find all sorts of wrong with this episode. Optimus' decision was stupid. I am still bothered by how Dreadwing was put away and how SS was welcomed back last episode. Bad story telling.

So yeah, this ends my following this series. Not keen about beasts. And the toys... well, probably take a break from Prime toys too.
Old 11-03-2012, 05:55 PM   #23
Rogue_Optimus
Armada

didn't like the ep either. I woulda thought they would have at least make the kids first thought would be to their families after seeing jasper transformed and before they left with the bots
Rogue_Optimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:42 PM   #24
brr-icy
G1 Collector
Send a message via MSN to brr-icy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perceptor View Post
Yup, I too find all sorts of wrong with this episode. Optimus' decision was stupid. I am still bothered by how Dreadwing was put away and how SS was welcomed back last episode. Bad story telling.

So yeah, this ends my following this series. Not keen about beasts. And the toys... well, probably take a break from Prime toys too.
the same writers as rotf...just sayin, i had low expectations coming in to the series...and was still disappointed. bring back animated already

my collection ^ Brr-icy Photgraphy on Facebook
Mostly G1 Japan Want list My Blog
my feedback:
Cybertron.ca
TFW
brr-icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:56 PM   #25
Sokar
Armada

While I agree that this finale wasn't perfect at all, I think everyone is being a little too hard on this series. There have been some excellent parts to this series, and in particular the development that Megatron enjoyed in several episodes was certainly on part with any previous series. Granted, the development seems inconsistent, and there are certainly some issues, but overall I'd say the series is still worth watching.

It's not as fun to watch as animated was and the story isn't quite as good as bw was, but I think it's still better than energon was, and it is leaps and bounds beyond what the films were.
Old 11-03-2012, 09:10 PM   #26
Nullray
IGC

I didn't mind this season. I am surprised there is alot of hate going on. A bit harsh it seems. The show is mainly focused on kids and it seems ok with me. Cartoons are aim at kids. The choose life idea works for me. I honestly think that Prime is going to travel inside the Matrix and gain the wisdom of the ages. Gaining the knowledge will allow him to rebuild the Omega Lock and save Cybertron. He already has been in contact with Alpha Trion. Who knows what else has been communicated that has been revealed.
On a different note, the show is expressing compassion, loyalty and sacrifice as honorable traits. I agree with them even portrayed with a sense of wrecklessness. Redemption is on the horizon I bet. Season three should be interesting.
Bring on the Predacons!!!!
Nullray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 10:03 PM   #27
Alexander Quinn
Sarcasti-con

While it seems like a lot of stupid things kind of fell together in this episode, one thing that really stood out to me as a highlight between this episode and the last was that fact that Starscream isn't a bumbling incompetent b!tch anymore. He's back to being second in command (and actually does his job), can transform again, jumps eagerly right into battle (albeit with a squad of Vehicon stormtroopers behind him) and is a satisfyingly menacing character again. Nice to see him on the rebound from hitting rock bottom.
Alexander Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 10:08 PM   #28
Nullray
IGC

^
Not being able to transform must have had alot to do with it...
Nullray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 10:47 PM   #29
Sun Swipe Prime
Canadian Slag

I actually enjoyed the episode. It had flaws. I won't dispute that but it does not deserve the vitriol. This episode did not rape anyone's childhood.
Old 11-04-2012, 12:29 AM   #30
UltraPrimal
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokar View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleeplessKnight View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vakamadisk View Post
If the Forge of Solus Prime was MIB like Airachnid or is at least in good condition after the explosion, the Omega Lock could still be repaired if the hammer is found.
I thought that might be the case at first, but didn't optimus say that it's beyond his capabilities to create an omega lock? I realise it might not be the same as fixing one he just cut in half, but judging by the explosion, the lock is pretty much ashes now isn't it?
Nah, he said he couldn't make the keys. He never said anything about the lock itself.

However, I think the writers want to keep the story on Earth so they probably won't use that angle.
Good point!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undrave View Post
Megatron was a bit foolhardy in targetting the Earth. Need it be reminded that UNICRON IS IN THERE?! What if the Omega Lock energ revived him? Or if the Cyberforming of the Earth turned it into a new TRANSFORMING body for what is essentially ROBOT SATAN?!
^This

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nullray View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Quinn View Post
While it seems like a lot of stupid things kind of fell together in this episode, one thing that really stood out to me as a highlight between this episode and the last was that fact that Starscream isn't a bumbling incompetent b!tch anymore. He's back to being second in command (and actually does his job), can transform again, jumps eagerly right into battle (albeit with a squad of Vehicon stormtroopers behind him) and is a satisfyingly menacing character again. Nice to see him on the rebound from hitting rock bottom.
^
Not being able to transform must have had alot to do with it...
Maybe being able to transform is like being able to get it up. If you loose it, you loose your confidence. If you get it back, you back in stride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Swipe Prime View Post
This episode did not rape anyone's childhood.
Except maybe a few actual children's.

3 fatal mistakes Optimus made during this episode:
1. Doing the deal with Megatron to save the kids. I can see why they did that from a story perspective. It's a children's show, so I guess you can kill off the children.
2. Destroying the Omega Lock. You've got the STAR SABER! Kill Starscream, Soundwave, and Knock Out and turn it off! Now THAT would have been a shocker! And a great way to bring in new toys/characters/repaints.
3. Prime sacrificing himself to destroy the space bridge. Uh, Optimus, ever hear of a grenade? You know those things Wheeljack is always carrying around? Couldn't you just lob one in there as you're escaping? It's such a trope for Optimus to always die! But where every other Optimus died in a heroic way, this one dies because he's stupid. Heck he probably didn't even need to destroy the space bridge computer himself. The Decepticons seemed to do a pretty good job obliterating most of the base themselves. If he just a camera outside to see that they were firing their BFG laser cannon, he probably would have saved himself the trouble.

A lot of other things bug me about this episode:
Like Fowler saying he already evacuated Jasper. You mean you evacuated an entire town in 10 minutes? When?! HOW?!
Or what about the whole splitting up thing? Is that really the best plan? Would it not be better to get the kids somewhere safe and then organize with the US government in organizing a counter attack? Or failing that, calling for Autobot help.
And how did Starscream know the Autobots split up?! "United we stand! Divided they fall!" What, did you read the script or something?

Tags
discussion, prime, transformers prime