Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Off Topic > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Are you going to get the H1N1 Vaccination?
Yes 13 20.00%
No 40 61.54%
I'm undecided. 12 18.46%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-29-2009, 10:34 PM   #11
Aernaroth
Metroplex
Re: H1N1 Vaccine?

No way am I turning down free drugs on the government's dime.
Aernaroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 11:49 PM   #12
Sideswipe
Break it down!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aernaroth View Post
No way am I turning down free drugs on the government's dime.
^ WIN

I'm getting it, I am a vulnerable person.
Sideswipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 12:49 AM   #13
devilsknight
Banned

The clan here decided against it as well. My son is right on the border for the age where he can/can't have it. So we're just taking some more than normal precautions like sanitizing our hands etc etc.

I've never been a strong believer of the flu shot anyways, and the fact they are pressing this vaccine on everybody just makes it an easier decision to NOT get it. Fear mongering at it's best.

Speaking of that Mississauga hockey player, the flu kills like 100,000+ people a year, the only reason why he made news was cause he died of H1N1. The media failed to mention that after he starting showing symptoms and was told to rest, he also went to a hockey tournament and played...which probably weakened him enough for the virus to take control. He also further infected like 4 other people on his team...

I'll put my faith in my immune system and do my best to not catch it. I'm not one to take medications when I get sick anyways.

I really only support the vaccine for those at risk and vulnerable, not for the healthy.

Anyone else wondering why people 65+ are virtually immune from H1N1 ?...probably because they didn't live in a time where a pill or a needle were pushed so hard on them.
devilsknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 01:31 AM   #14
cannabisprime
トーランスフォムー!

I'll be getting it; never, ever refuse free drugs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsknight View Post

Anyone else wondering why people 65+ are virtually immune from H1N1 ?...probably because they didn't live in a time where a pill or a needle were pushed so hard on them.
That's not entirely true; anyone that old would still have been subjected to the mass vaccinations for tuberculosis and smallpox. Additionally, there's a theory that older people might have developed some immunity to it if they were old enough to be around during the Spanish flu of 1918.
cannabisprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 02:00 AM   #15
Dark Rage
白人看不懂

I am tempted, but even though it's like a 1 in a million shot, how do I know I won't get a severe side effect like dystonia? Btw, I'm not sure if that shot she received was for H1N1, I thought it was.

I'm just freaked out by this video, poor woman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mScGC7nFDxM

I'm just wondering, is it verified that this flu doesn't work like the Spanish flu with the method of causing Cytokine storms in the body?

I know that the Spanish flu was the most devastating flu to young people, since they were the popular most susceptible to it, I'm hoping the Swine flu doesn't work the same way.

Last edited by Dark Rage; 10-30-2009 at 02:12 AM.
Dark Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 02:09 AM   #16
Pascal
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsknight View Post

I really only support the vaccine for those at risk and vulnerable, not for the healthy.
I wouldn't qualify young babies as "healthy" regardless of if they have or haven't got sick yet. No matter how tough you think they are, they're still highly vulnerable. Juliette was pretty much indestructible from the day she was born until she got sick enough to spend 5 days at the hospital in September, and now she has a bad cold that's going into her 3rd week. Things can change VERY quickly.
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 08:38 AM   #17
Quantum
Uh-huh.

My son got it the other day (he's 3 1/2). My wife and I will gt it with his second dose.

I never get flu shots, but I don't fuck around when it comes to my son's life, so this one I will get.
Old 10-30-2009, 09:46 AM   #18
Mumps
Canadian Slag

I am undecided. I know people who are freaking out over this flu. Hell, my Mom's work quarentines anybody who coughs... *rolls eyes*

Now, I am a germ-o-phobe, my hand sanitizer is right next to me as I type, and I take all disease seriously. However... If you take the right precautions then you will not get it! I get really pissed off at people who don't cover their mouths when they cough or sneeze. I've been this way since before I heard of swine flu. I have outright called somebody a "fucking pig" on the bus for not covering up.

Regardless, high risk people, children, and seniors SHOULD get it. Also, get it if you are paranoid just so you shut the hell up about it and quit freaking out >_<

And, if you are not getting it, like me (most likely), just wash your hands often.

Oh, and if you are sick, STAY HOME FROM WORK! You aren't a "tough guy" by coming into work when you are sick, you are a moron.
Mumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 09:49 AM   #19
devilsknight
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
I wouldn't qualify young babies as "healthy" regardless of if they have or haven't got sick yet. No matter how tough you think they are, they're still highly vulnerable. Juliette was pretty much indestructible from the day she was born until she got sick enough to spend 5 days at the hospital in September, and now she has a bad cold that's going into her 3rd week. Things can change VERY quickly.
I'm sorry did I state anywhere in my post what so ever babies were considered healthy ?! No.

I stated I wouldn't be getting one for mine.

Read my words fully before going off on them and please don't put words in my mouth !

Last edited by devilsknight; 10-30-2009 at 10:04 AM.
devilsknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 09:56 AM   #20
Crobot91
Metroplex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Rage View Post
I am tempted, but even though it's like a 1 in a million shot, how do I know I won't get a severe side effect like dystonia? Btw, I'm not sure if that shot she received was for H1N1, I thought it was.

I'm just freaked out by this video, poor woman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mScGC7nFDxM
That clip is so sad; my prayers go out to her, I hope there is a chance of recovery...