Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

View Poll Results: What "turns you off" with a Transformer toy?
Head is exposed during alt mode 13 25.00%
Disproportioned head/body/limbs 2 3.85%
Colors don't match cartoon/boxart 7 13.46%
Parts need to be replaced between transformation 5 9.62%
Fragile joints that pop off during transformation 11 21.15%
Fused limbs 2 3.85%
Other 12 23.08%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-18-2009, 06:23 AM   #1
0peraticon
Generation 2
Red face Your Transformer "Turn-offs"

What turns you off from buying a certain Transformer toy? Words are insufficient in conveying pure disappointment when one finds their favorite character's plastic personification disproportioned, or simply engineered to transform into something completely horrendous yet closely resembles shit.

...right?

With respect to the designers in what we now know as TakaraTomy, to me and many sparks, G1 Transformer toys were notoriously known for looking almost nothing like their cartoon counterparts. Surely now, that was a given. However, it doesn't come to me as a surprise when one doesn't fail to notice that the same, repeated design flaws from 25 years ago seems to have been genetically imprinted into our now modern Transformers!

Truthfully, I didn't write to rekindle our understanding of toys in their primeval forms and whatever one may call they are now. Instead, I have created a poll in which we can share our common pet-peeves regardless of any protest our plastic friends may have.

To me, the exposed head or face during a Transformer toy's alt mode jostles my spark about Unicron's teeth. For example: G1 Cyclonus's face is exposed in his spacefighter mode for no reason. Another being Universe/Henkei Ramjet. For what function? There is no explanation for a Transformer to leave his eyes, let alone, mouth exposed to open fire. No secret combiner function to do with, no cruel, devilish designer to blame.

Now that such head-throbbing excerpt has left my Dece... Autobot Matrix, what's about you guys? Please select one "turn-off" and share your undeniable shortcomings with the old and new transformation designs!

Last edited by 0peraticon; 06-18-2009 at 10:38 PM.
0peraticon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 06:58 AM   #2
Matrix_Holder
The chosen one
Re: Your Transformer "Turn-offs"

besides the horrible design for the movie starscream..chicken legs ugh.
#2. hands that cannot hold a gun/ weapon. cyclonus has only one hand that can hold a gun???? claw formers...hands people , give the robots hands that hold things. look at the things on the bruticus and superion sets...wth?

#1.The main thing that gets me wanting to give up collecting....is all these damn exclusives. just let me get the damn toy at any store. I don't want to pay 500 to go to a convention to complete my damn seekers. or have to pay 50 for a purple shockwave where the grey on is 29.
Matrix_Holder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 07:10 AM   #3
tusko
Classic

Head visible in aLternate mode is up there with me.
I also don't like "car/jet just hangs off the figure's back" kibble.
Poor balance in robot mode.
Gross asymmetry, especially with the Decepticons. They should be sleak soldiers but this design concept that since they are evil they have to have lumps and deformities is odd.

Last edited by tusko; 06-18-2009 at 09:04 AM. Reason: fixin' my logic problems!
tusko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 08:16 AM   #4
Batman
The Dark Knight

For me the # 1 thing is crappy feet. I can't stand figures that have poor balance due to poorly designed feet. Springs in the feet are also a major turn off, I don't really know why, they just are.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:21 AM   #5
JLvatron
Chosen 1

For moral reasons, the worst has to be replacing parts during changing modes.

Lego-forming is NOT Transforming!!

#2 would be the BeastWars syndrome of Beast-Arm-And-Legs-Become-Robot-Arm-And-Legs or BAALBRAAL.
No creativity when designing a Transform.

#3 would be another BeastWars syndrome of Left Over Kibble = Shield or Hand (LOKESOH). Mighta bin cool the 1st time but every 2nd toy? Really questions the designers' ingenuity again.

JLvatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 09:36 AM   #6
Pascal
Banned

Exposed heads.
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 09:41 AM   #7
Mumps
Canadian Slag

Exclusives are my number 1. Like mentioned above, why should I spend $500 for a toy that is a REPAINT of a toy that I already got for $15?

And lastly, having the entire vehicle mode as a backpack! Leader Jetfire, and Universe Silverbolt... UGH! You could just unscrew the alt mode from their back, and you got yourself a freaking protoform version of the character! They are robots with jets on their backs, and they are jets with a robot squished underneith. At least Jetfire's jet bits fold here and there, Silverbolt, all you do is flip the nose behind his back and thats 50% of the transformation...
Mumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 09:53 AM   #8
Cheers Ian
twitter @cheersian

Extra Weapons that don't store in Vehicle Mode.

Cheers!
-Ian

Last edited by Cheers Ian; 06-18-2009 at 10:41 AM.
Cheers Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 10:03 AM   #9
chans formers
raff ow roud

Quote:
Originally Posted by cky_ibm View Post
Extra Weapons that don't store in Robot Mode.

Cheers!
-Ian
x2. nothings worse than having a bot in vehicle mode on display with his weapons/parts strewn all around him as opposed to actually being attached to him.
my other main pet peeve is tf's that fall apart as you tform them,even when gentle.(classics galvatron comes to mind.you just have to look at him funny and he's in 6 main pieces)
Old 06-18-2009, 10:06 AM   #10
alexsaurus_rex
Don't Panic!

This whole "premium edition" thing really grates my after-burners. But I gotta say, what really turns me off a figure, is peg-hands. I would much rather prefer a claw or closable fingers (a la Alternators) to a lump of plastic with a hole drilled in it. Just not expressive enough. It's part of the reason why Classics haven't interested me.