Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers Feedback and Reviews

Old 07-24-2008, 11:22 AM   #1
SamiWCP
Alternator
Gen-1 Diamond Select Transformers Busts- A Complete Review

So, I've have had a bunch of new busts coming in, and figured I'll review them..Specially with all the previews coming from the SDCC found here
http://tformers.com/article.php?sid=9890
That Magnus, Ironhide and Ratchet, all three car bots, jetfire, although the 2 fembots just seem blah..Anyways, a few reviews of the ones I have so far...

This is a all new sort of COOL! Unlike the older ones, the new Jazz bust is put together with it's usual pole attachments, but his back doors and rocket launcher are now held together with those super strong magnets, as soon as they come remotely close to eachother they snap right into place! Very awesome! I can't wait for the Seeker 3 set and the other 3 car sets..This Diamond Select Bust Gen-1 line just continues to impress!

Reformatted Megatron..It looks like he is slightly smaller then the full gen-1 original version, but this one is just great to look at..he's MESSED UP! And the clear purple part is so great. These special edition ones they've made are really just a great nod for Gen-1 fans and well worth it..But as usual, wait for sales, you can generally find these guys on sale on ebay for under 50$

Better than ANY upgrade set, this upgrade bust is just awesome. The big flowing cape, the crown, It's Starscreams true moment of glory. And a beautiful piece at that.

Easily the BEST bust they've done..The most detailed, the lines work in the molding is crisp and clean, he's big, bulky, and menacing.

The Thundercracker bust..A nice edition to Starscream and like the Bumblebee/Cliffjumper, they didn't just use the same molds, slightly different. Just as great. And once the Skywarp one gets here...Even better!

A great version of the most evil of all the variations of Megatron.. The productions photos didn't really do it justice. The cannon looks great, the Decepticon Spark base is a nice touch too..A great Megatron all in all.

More reviews later, once my 3 pack set of Seekers get here, and I'll continue on as they come out, long live this line of greatness!!
SamiWCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 11:59 AM   #2
tusko
Classic
Re: Gen-1 Diamond Select Transformers Busts- A Complete Review

Very nice collection.
tusko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 02:29 PM   #3
SamiWCP
Alternator

I don't remember if this was actually a Diamond Select, but if it was..It's right up there with amazing. Where the head sculpts and even the wall statues of Prime and Megatron had all this awful kibble and molding line work put on them, this one is nice, smooth, with just the right amount of detail, it's really great.

The Starscream bust, first of the seekers, is again just perfect. Metallic blue paint for his hands, nice sculpt work--Only one problem, the paneling lines on his wings are cut in on both sides in such a way, it's almost cut through in places they're so thin..And you can see where in production, his wing actually broke, and was glued back together and a bit of touch up paint applied to cover it some.

Again, not entirely sure these are Diamond Select, but, oh well. Like mentioned earlier, they have A LOT of panelling/line work all over them, and at the smaller scale, kinda takes away--but, oddly, they only did it to the heads..The body's look fine. It's interesting, how they sculpted this..They aren't meant to be level, as Prime is looking down as Megs has his cannon raised up to Prime. They work separately well enough, but look great together.

Cliffjumper and Bumblebee...Finally done right..With their own molds, not just a repaint. Each one is clearly who they represent, although Bumblebee has an odd look about his face..He's angry..And that just doesn't suit him all that well. Cool Teletran-1 base too, with his blueprint up on the screen! Cliffjumper is much the same, but with a big ol' gun and a proper Cliffjumper head. Same base though.

Grimlock..Lots of cool on this one. A really awesome pose..Probably the most active pose I've seen on a bust. He has a clear plastic piece on his chest, he's just pure Gen-1 Grimmy love! He goes GREAT with the Palisades one.

Like the Grimlock, they gave Soundwave his clear plastic chest, and a great base with a little cassette molded into it. He has both his rocket launcher/battery bits as well. He's made up of the sparkle blue paint, and the only thing missing, he doesn't have the red stripes on his forearms. Another kinda cool thing, all of these guys, everything is molded, so, the autobot and decepticon logos aren't just paint or stickers, but molded into the figures.
Old 07-24-2008, 02:43 PM   #4
SamiWCP
Alternator

Last, but certainly not least, so far.. Optimus Prime, and Battle Damaged Optimus Prime!! Again going above and beyond the calling, they've made 2 separate molds for this guy, one in shiny awesome metallic goodness that is his Gen-1 self..And, the version of him after the beat down he took from Megs..Also very cool though! They both come with the base that shows his trailer side panel--Nice touch, and the Battle Damaged on has the teletran-1 screen from the movie as he dies..Another nice touch. Here are some comparison pics of the 2..And once my SDCC version comes in, he'll be added to the mix as well.

Once my Seeker set arrives this weekend, I'll post those too..from the looks of it, those 3 are all mostly the same mold, with a few slight changes to them for their weapons etc..And then the 3 car set to go with my Jazz! Can't wait!
Old 07-24-2008, 02:59 PM   #5
tusko
Classic

Those Primes are great.
tusko is offline   Reply With Quote