Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers Feedback and Reviews > Transformers Video Reviews

Old 08-05-2018, 06:10 PM   #1
GotBot
Nexus Maximus
POTP Optimal Optimus Review

Transformers Power of the Primes Optimal Optimus is so much better and more interesting, and engaging than I ever anticipated. Check it all out. Here is a table of contents to help you find the information that might interest you specifically, since this one is a long one:
0:00-Intro
3.32 - Packaging and accessories
7:35 - How he appears out of package and larger robot paint apps
11:15 - Accessories storage in Robot mode
16:10 - Optimal Optimus articulation
19:55 - the Matrix
22:27 - Everything for Monkey with a Surfboard
31.57 - Monkey with a Backpack
36:37 - Gorilla into Plane Mode (main body)
38:30- Optimus Primal Robot, Fan Mode and Configuration to Connect to Jet - Note - 47:46 - Size Comparisons with the Ultra Class figure and several Beast Wars Characters
53:00- Putting Both Parts of the Jet Together
58:10- An Option for a Land Based Mode Made with Building Blocks
1:04:40 - Robot Mode Size Comparisons of Optimal Optimus with other Maximals
1:06 - Closing Thoughts
https://youtu.be/ccV25OQ6AYU
GotBot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 12:18 PM   #2
Pascal
Banned
Re: POTP Optimal Optimus Review

Got one last Friday. But as expected, it's by far the weakest POTP Leader mold. Optimal Primal feels really cheap, his transformation is way too easy and boring, his alt mode is silly, and Optimal Optimus in gorilla mode feel very hollow, unless you attach Optimus Primal to it. Combined robot mode is excellent though.
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 07:10 PM   #3
GotBot
Nexus Maximus

I respect your view for sure, but I also completely disagree. I thought Rodimus was nothing better than a test shot, at best, which is probably why he is rotting on shelves here and a transformation that is a nuisance. Now, that said, to be fair, the alt modes of Optimal Optimus were always ridiculous anyway, so no real shock there. Blame the source material for that one. I also agree about the hollowness of the gorilla, but I would personally always keep the back pack attached I think. I don't find everything about the transformation easy. That accursed plane mode is brutal on my copy when it comes to trying to attach the two halves to each other and it is impossible to lift the Optimal Optimus head out of its space in, say, surfboard mode without wedging it with something. I am beyond impressed with how versatile he is and there is so much to do, explore and fan mode. He definitely needs the upgrade kit though and he doesn't feel any cheaper than any other figure, soooo... He's no Optimus Prime, but he obliterates that mess they tried to pass off as Rodimus Prime.
Old 08-07-2018, 09:47 PM   #4
xueyue2
Canadian Slag

I like both Rodimus and Optimal Optimus.

sell/trade/wanted thread
feedback

xueyue2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 10:30 PM   #5
GotBot
Nexus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by xueyue2 View Post
I like both Rodimus and Optimal Optimus.
I envy you. Only way I have use for Rodimus is when he is apart. I know it isn't popular opinion but I just felt like a bunch of small gripes became one big one. Of the three, I think many would agree though that Optimus Prime tops the trio. Still, it was nice to get a version of Optimal Optimus without paying, like, 150 shipped for a complete original.
Old 08-08-2018, 12:26 AM   #6
RNSrobot
No I'm... doesn't.
RNSrobot's Ebay Auctions

I can't vouch for the quality or lack thereof of the figure. Don't have it probably not buying. Not the first complaint I've seen about his alt modes. To which I must reply: have you... Seen the original toy? His "jet" and "car" modes were jokes in 1998 as well.

"YOU WIN AGAIN, GRAVITY!"
RNSrobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 07:58 AM   #7
Pascal
Banned

I don't understand your hate for Rodimus. All of his modes are rock-solid and both components actually have a pretty involved transformation, unlike Primal who's extremely dumbed down (having an entire alt mode removed doesn't help, plus, Optimus Primal should have transformed into a smaller black gorilla, not that stupid surfboard - heck, it doesn't remotely look like a surfboard, just some generic wingless shapeship). His only flaw is the somewhat visible Rodimus Prime fists in alt mode.
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 04:22 PM   #8
GotBot
Nexus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
I don't understand your hate for Rodimus. All of his modes are rock-solid and both components actually have a pretty involved transformation, unlike Primal who's extremely dumbed down (having an entire alt mode removed doesn't help, plus, Optimus Primal should have transformed into a smaller black gorilla, not that stupid surfboard - heck, it doesn't remotely look like a surfboard, just some generic wingless shapeship). His only flaw is the somewhat visible Rodimus Prime fists in alt mode.
The transformation for Rodimus is involved but is also beyond atrocious with nothing staying where it should until absolutely everything is pegged in/tabbed in, and things like to slip a lot...A...LOT. The arm removal is scary, at best, feeling like they will break every time. The color mismatch really stands out to me, admittedly, though I have yet to actually see one, I assume that that subjective gripe of mine is not an issue with Rodimus Unicronus. And, the articulation is meh, at best, especially the lackluster arms/shoulders. I do,however, agree Primal is dumbed down and DEFINITELY needs the upgrade kit though. But, was the original ever really that complicated either? I also agree the smaller Primal should have been a gorilla. Still, I tend to fan mode him more as, like, a hover tank thing than a surf board. BUT, he's fun and extremely articulated. Don't get me wrong, he could be improved a little, but is a respectable homage to the original, which, in and of itself, was weird to begin with. I just can't in good conscience call Rodimus good or suggest anyone purchase him. The potential was so, so good but the final execution is left with way too many issues that should have been ironed out during the test shot phase. Maybe he is worth getting on sale, but even that is pushing it for Rodimus I think. I know, like you, many enjoy him and my view is probably the minority, but i can't endorse something when i don't believe in it.