Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 01-15-2015, 12:46 PM   #11
Megatron75
Alternator
Re: What's your collection value?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodimus Prime1 View Post
...I never got into [B]collecting toys[B] for the money, just the enjoyment. if I was to sell, my collection is worth what ever someone is willing to pay for it, right now a guarantee would be about 40% market value

There is always a possibility that some day it may not be worth anything as no one will want them, I think Star Wars, Barbie and TF's may be safe but who knows?

Example of dead collecting. Those TY beanies Hockey cards, I saw season cases for sale in VV for 3.99

Just my opinion though , as I don't mean to upset anyone.
Excellent points...great example about the TY Beanies.
Megatron75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 01:00 PM   #12
QuadESL63
Canadian Slag

Funny I was wondering about the same thing for the last few days (want to get some cash for another hobby of mine). Based on my experience with liquidating my Bay's movies stuffs last year and my observation as a convention attendee for the last few years:

The only things that worth something significantly in my collection are the Japanese G1 like my Grand Maximus, etc, and I don't have boxes for everything so it will be difficult to fetch top dollars. I don't have those extra rare and/or lucky draw TFs like a gold plated Convoy/Optimus Prime, G2 Stunticons prototype, etc. to offer so my collection, which may have quantities, is lacking in rarity. All G1 reissues (book-style Collection Series, e-Hobby, etc.) and non-MIB/MISB Hasbro G1 don't command top dollars, or at least have a big margin over cost. Some of the exclusive stuffs like BOTCON boxsets actually devalued or won't worth a lot more than when they were released. Binaltechs is not so hot now and Alternators are even worst even though they are MIB/MISB. And, I am sure Masterpieces will follow this path a few years later except for a selected few because TakaraTomy & Hasbro have flooded the enthusiasts market with these. All the opened stuffs from Beast Wars, Beast Machine, RiD/Car Robo, Energon Trilogy, Prime, Animated, etc. won't hold their value much IMHO, again due to the fact that Hasbro made a lot of them and most of them are not MISB/MOSC in my collection. May be I can get more from the third party stuffs but I don't have a high hope on that.

May be I can get a good offer with the right buyer who wants the whole lot. May be I undervalued/overvalued my estimation. Don't know. Glad I have never looked at my TFs as appreciating assets and this is just a hobby for me or I will be very disappointed!

Looking for:
  • Nothing... spent too much lately

Last edited by QuadESL63; 01-15-2015 at 01:06 PM.
QuadESL63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 01:02 PM   #13
Wheeltron
Maximal

As long as there's supporting content in multiple forms I doubt TFs will go the way of the Beanie Baby, nor will there be such a craze. It's certainly a lot more sustainable.

Also, when I say sell my collection, I would definitely not sell in bulk. You're just asking for a huge price cut in that case. That's the trouble with a rush sale. I would sell pieces, maybe smaller lots. And take time to try and find the people who really want what I have, not just low ballets. Again, that's a lot of stipulations but it's all hypothetical now anyway.

Investment wise do you think it's smarter to sell pieces in order to buy more expensive ones? Like, I have many deluxe across various lines. If I were I sell 8-10 deluxes I might be able to buy a lower priced MP. Keeps your collection from being unmanageable and will probably hold value longer. Many masterpiece figures go up in value after a few years it seems. Of course many things do.
Old 01-15-2015, 01:02 PM   #14
Pascal
Banned

I'm not sure I want to know at this point.
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 01:17 PM   #15
QuadESL63
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheeltron View Post
Investment wise do you think it's smarter to sell pieces in order to buy more expensive ones?
May be you can beat the system like that. I have never look at it from this angle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheeltron View Post
Many masterpiece figures go up in value after a few years it seems. Of course many things do.
I am not following the prices that close. All I know is that TakaraTomy & Hasbro have milked the every drop our of the cash cows. Most enthusiasts have already acquired these Masterpieces or have a chance to at later days so I don't know if the high asking prices in the secondary market between enthusiasts are sustainable IMHO.

Looking for:
  • Nothing... spent too much lately
QuadESL63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 01:31 PM   #16
Window
Robot Master

I wouldn't want to estimate mine except for insurance purposes and really don't want to advertise it.

That is similar, in my opinion, to those value your steam account sites. Just makes it more theft attractive.

Suffice it to say I did a proper appraisal of everything for insurance purposes and I got reprimanded by my wife for not insuring it earlier after we've already had our place flood once and had a small fire in the furnace room near our apartment.
Window is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 01:35 PM   #17
Wheeltron
Maximal

Well yeah, like I already said, I've been buying and selling to pay for the Transformers I buy up until now anyway. Infact maybe the only time I've knowingly going into debt was when ordered MP Grimlock from Toys R U this past spring. I had a running tally on how much I'd ever spent up until then, and how much I was under. I could probably still figure that much out, there was just a dry spell where I didn't buy anything.

Recently I got two Kijiji lots for $50 bucks, but in it there were a variety of complete and non-complete figures, mostly Beast Wars, but the real beauty of it was the BW Megatron, and two Primals. I know I can sell the Primal for $30-40 dollars locally or online, and that's competitively priced. I can sell the random figures off and it should be at least the cost of buying the lots, and I'm left with a Megatron and Primal with no cost to me.

Obivously working towards getting MP or Third-Party figures would cut into my size a lot, but if I'd be just as satisfied I may as well do just that.
Old 01-15-2015, 02:00 PM   #18
Rodimus Prime1
Ride in Style

I sold alot of my deluxes and 90% g1, to put toward MP's and third partys. Eased the blow a bit, and bought me a few figures mp's and third party's

Wants: >

Feedback

Collection
Rodimus Prime1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 02:23 PM   #19
tusko
Classic

Priceless!
I am the most awesome uncle to my nephews and its created lasting memories of play time, wonder and joy as we battle across the livingroom. That value has been awesome.

Monitary value is next to nothing. Nobody wants, random, used, common toys.
Old 01-15-2015, 04:39 PM   #20
NeoMatter
Generation 1

I'll have to say priceless... LOL.

I'm not attaching a monetary value to my collection.
NeoMatter is offline   Reply With Quote