Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 04-26-2008, 08:09 AM   #1
devilsknight
Banned
TTC On Strike

I had to vent about this.

They reached an agreement and told their people to accept it. They change their minds and give like 2 hours notice that they are going on strike.

The TTC union are a bunch greasy slimy ass holes, and they should know better than to do this. The workers already make $23.00/hour + and the benefits aren't enough ?! How many of these guys in the Union and Corporate earn over $100K...even a ticket taker made over $100K last year.

Gimme a break. This just proves that for the most part Unions don't serve any purpose anymore and are redundant for the most part. Everytime the TTC gets money to help with infrastructure and upgrades the Unions and upper management get their grubby hands on it and take it away.

Enjoy your pay raises ass holes eventually when their whole system collapses due to lack of maintanance I only hope the union big wigs and the corporate are there when it falls on them.

Douche bags.
devilsknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 08:19 AM   #2
Dark Rage
白人看不懂
Re: TTC On Strike

You live in Brampton, you don't have to suffer like me!

But yeah, I don't like unions, it gives the union member party too much power for their interests and is an overall detriment to the economy (eco101).
Dark Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 11:26 AM   #3
devilsknight
Banned

I may live in Brampton but the TTC is a necessity to me too.

BOOURNS to the TTC
devilsknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 11:45 AM   #4
jourdo
Twitter: @jourdo2k3

I feel for you guys, especially if you depend on transit services. I remember when I first moved to Calgary they were going through a transit strike. Sucked big time for those who needed it. The cab companies made a killing though.

As for unions, they really do not serve a purpose anymore. Or at least, not the purpose they were meant to. Some of them have become too powerful for their own good. And like my Uncle Ben used to say, "... with great power, comes great corruption." Well something like that anyways... I never really listened to the old guy too well.

TFCC Runamuck x 3 Achieved! Now looking for Lego Ninjago NRG Jay for Christmas. If you can help, let me know.
jourdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 12:00 PM   #5
Dark Rage
白人看不懂

At least my street is quieter (despite more cars), since I live on a big street with streetcars, who make a loud rumbling sound all the time.

If only they made the TTC a publicly owned corporation like Hong Kong, they'd be able to make the budget larger and capital more accessible.

Well, negotiations are beginning at 1PM, hopefully it'll be resolved before the week begins.
Dark Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 01:10 PM   #6
pud333
Animated

Unions are a necessity in today's big corporate, big business world, more now than ever. But I agree, some Unions take things too far, and end up abusing the power they have. There has to be some sort of middle ground struck, because I know many people, some of them my friends, who work for powerful unions who get away with tonnes of crap (eg: lazy work ethic) and can't get fired because their union is too strong.

That being said, Unions are still important, but I've always felt that public transit should be made an essential service and workers should not be allowed to strike. A lot of people can't afford, or don't want to own cars, and public transit is usually how most people get around. I know when transit went on strike here in bc, it messed up a lot of people financially. Luckily I was close enough to work to rollerblade every day, but that took me an extra half an hour. Personally, transit workers here are way overpaid for the b.s. service they provide (eg: rude attitudes, apathy, etc.) As it is now, I rely fully on transit to get me to work, and if we had another strike, I might go ape-shit. I totally understand how you feel.

Last edited by pud333; 04-26-2008 at 01:13 PM.
pud333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 01:12 PM   #7
-KG-
Kranix

Maybe this will finally push the Province to make the TTC an essential service. In a city of 5 million plus too many people rely on the TTC to eat and pay their rent. This kind of crap is one of the big reasons why I started driving 7 years ago. And now I'll gladly be a taxi for my family/friends who rely on the TTC. FU TTC!

-KG- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 01:18 PM   #8
Retrospex
Plastiholics Anonymous

I'm in a union. International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers. (IAMAW)

All of us at Air Canada are getting screwed. Our union contract ends in 2009. If we don't stand firm on what we believe we deserve, we will lose our pensions and benefits and people will get laid off.

The company wants to cut our benefits yet the executives (like our CEO) are getting 12 million dollar yearly bonuses? All this after promises of getting our 20% pay cut that they took from us in 2001 so they wouldn't go bankrupt? If we weren't there to keep this airline running, their would be nothing for everyone.

You guys are telling me we don't need unions? Hmmm....

Perhaps you don't have a family or kids yet?
Striking is a big decision. Who will pay their mortgage or rent while on strike? It's not about greed, they are fighting for what they deserve.

I'm supportive of the TTC workers. They deserve more. Working 24 hours, in the rain, heat, minus temperatures and snow to get you where you need to go. They are there to keep the city running. It's about time the city gives back. Anyone who rides the TTC should appreciate the advantage of it.

Let them strike. Support them. Our city should have the money (and they do) to pay them. (at least the same high wages that the Oakville and Mississauga transit workers get)

The TTC service is excellent. They take pride in their work. Things run smooth most of the time.

This is 2008 not 1985. $23 an hour ain't sh!t.

~Spe><
Retrospex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 01:29 PM   #9
-KG-
Kranix

Do you also support the TTC shutting down at night with no notice abandoning riders all over the city? That is ridiculous and very dangerous. I can imagine if my girlfriend was on the bus last night and they abandoned her on a dark street with no way to get home. The 48 hour notice they were giving up to a week ago was fine. But leaving people on what has become very dangerous Toronto streets at night is wrong.

-KG- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 01:59 PM   #10
Retrospex
Plastiholics Anonymous

No I don't support the walk off. Leaving people behind is wrong. I support the strike not their treatment of riders. But there was a warning of strike and a walk off. I didn't take the TTC yesterday because I knew it was gonna happen.

At least they didn't do it in the morning.

But on the flipside, if the corporate side of the TTC had come to terms, then it wouldn't have happened. And yes... walk offs are irresponsible but that's life.

Life for these workers are risky. How many TTC bus drivers and streetcar drivers have been violently attacked at night huh? We neglect to think of their safety too.

Think about that. $23 just doesn't cut the risk. Give them more money and let them keep the pension.
Retrospex is offline   Reply With Quote