Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 01-06-2013, 09:28 PM   #1
Echotransformer
Loves all things G1-ish..
The Micro Robot / Microman appreciation thread

Hey guys,

As many of you know, Transformers were preceeded by Microman/Dialcone and of particular interest to me, the molds that never were integrated into the Transformers line but own much of the aesthetic and technology--the MicroRobot series.

For all the history on these, check out this site:

http://microforever.com/1981newmicroman.htm

And especially here: http://microforever.com/microrobot_v.htm

and here: http://microforever.com/721formation.htm

So a nice seque into this is to check out these ~1979 reissue Microman figures, which are basically what later became diaclone drivers (albeit these were a larger scale, 3 3/4"):

In the 1981 MicroRobot line, these guys are about the same size as the robots...and they interact in cool ways. Here's the MicroRobot V set, where the robots transform into weapons, then combine into a very nice looking (IMHO) gestalt:

I find the MicroRobot V, in particular, has details that resemble G1 Reflector who was of course preceded by MicroX Camera Robo (Micro Change series)

Part of the reason for today's post is my recent acquisition of the 7-2-1 formation set, which adds 7 of the little guys to my collection. They merge with vehicles (I didn't show all the combinations, there are so many of them) but did want to show the gestalt...and a specific page from Million Publishing Transformers Generations book which shows an early sketch of this cool toy:

It's gorgeous. Check out the closeup pictures of the figures...lots of diecast, crisp tooling...they just don't make stuff like this anymore:

Here's a picture of all the MicroRobots I have...again, all about 3"-4" tall...plus a couple of block bots which are also of Takara fame.

Towards there front there are 2 our of 3 of the solo MicroRobots...M1 Micro Gordon and M3 Micro Flash, who shares more than a passing resemblance to Gobot Drill Head, IMHO...

M1 and M3 don't combine..instead they actually transform into vehicles! Not great vehicles, but vehicles nonetheless. What they lack in alt-mode they more than make up for in ornate detail and quality.

I also wanted to throw in a picture with my KO Diakron Multi-Force 14...More info on that guy here (http://www.collectiondx.com/toy_revi...force_14_robot)

Lot's of playvalue here...5mm pegs, action figures, transforming robots, combining robots...amazingly good stuff....

Just out of interest, here's the packaging...somehow I've managed to score most of these with packaging, and it's pretty nice looking stuff (though my copies are decently worn, it's nice to see the old box artwork and that 'we'll never see it again' foam packaging

And that's about all for now. I will be continuing to collect this line...very...slowly...and...at...great...expense.

I thought you may enjoy having a look. And of course if you happen to have any of these or enjoy them as much as I do, would love to hear from you.

All the best,

Echo
Echotransformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:28 PM   #2
Echotransformer
Re: The Micro Robot / Microman appreciation thread

Reserved
Old 01-06-2013, 09:47 PM   #3
vectorsigma2
Machine War

Thanks for sharing i love these guys too
vectorsigma2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:35 PM   #4
Protoman
The Legend

I loved that one year Microman was doing sets of figures, each set naming characters after a letter in the alphabet.

So you had a set of 4 figures, each named Andy, Andrew, Adam and Anthony.

Chances were if you had a somewhat common name, you had a Microman named after you.

Pictured is the D Set.

Danieru (Daniel) was the red one. Along with Dick, Danny (Yeah kinda unoriginal) and David
Follow Protoman on TWITTER - Protoman http://twitter.com/Protoman
Protoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:43 PM   #5
Tonestar
Star Seeker

I remember these guys. The Micronauts as we called then here were awesome. I had Time Traveller (red and blue), Pharoid, Space Glider which I still have but it's an updated version which is still not as good as the original. I also remember getting a knock-off copy of the 5 robot combiner shown above at K-Mart in the 80's for like $15 it was cool but it could not replace the original Transformer Combiner Stunticons or Aerialbots which I got later. Thanks for the pics and memories.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:38 PM   #6
brr-icy
G1 Collector
Send a message via MSN to brr-icy

the only one you mentioned that i had was the multiforce14 thing was awesome

my collection ^ Brr-icy Photgraphy on Facebook
Mostly G1 Japan Want list My Blog
my feedback:
Cybertron.ca
TFW
brr-icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:49 PM   #7
CobraCommander
ありがとう任天堂 ಠ_ಠ

Wow very cool, I never seen some of those before. I have a few Microman figures, one of my personal favs is Baron Karza and Andromeda. I always enjoyed his magnetic gimmick and how they can sorta combine into a centaur

I'm not sure the history behind it but Baron shares the same body as this guy Jeeg, which I've always been curious about. I guess now is a good time as any to read up on it

G.I.Joe Figures - Hisstank

Feedback Threads:
Cybertron.ca
CobraCommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:07 PM   #8
chans formers
raff ow roud

^nice vato!!!
i have the same baron fig too,but i have his chest missilelolz!!

@echo,good thread idea,kind of like a "distant" tf history lesson(and yeah,i'm jealous of your multiforce 14 too,k/o or not.

i have a giant acroyer-1 combiner,definately not the prettiest,but ahead of it's time like most microman vehicles were.

i also have a microman set where it's a figurewith a transforming helicopter/cassette tape (you know it's old when...)and a base that transforms into a instant noodle cup..chopsticks included....seriously.

also,the classics omega supreme i made for tfcon a couple years ago,the main track that his tank motors around is salvaged from a vintage micoman star base called the stratostation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	giantacroyear-1.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	16842  
Old 01-07-2013, 10:23 PM   #9
Echotransformer

@Protoman: didn't realize that...wow that's cool info, thanks!

@Tonestar: actually in my attempt to acquire MicroRobotV I ended up with a couple of KOs before finding a complete genuine Takara one...the KOs weren't bad quality! Got pics of the Pharoid?

@Bricy: Yeah lucky TF Con find actually...but mine's not complete Still need the chest missiles and the KO diaclones are GOOOONNNEEEE! (probably to someone's Diaclone collection)

@ Cobra Commander: That things pretty neat looking, check out MicroForever.com and you may find some info on its design lineage...

@ Chans: Man one day I'd like to see a picture of your custom parts bin(s) (Warehouse?) How tall is that thing?

Thanks guys...glad there's interest in this. I've been really enjoying finding these things....hope to keep finding more, esepcially the block bots and some of the power suits in the 1982 line look very Brave/Transformer like.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:53 PM   #10
CobraCommander
ありがとう任天堂 ಠ_ಠ

Some interesting bits of info that Jeeg (aka Geeg) fella was actually the original mold and when MEGO started producing Micronaughts (under license from Takara) in NA they took that mold and modified it into the Baron.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chans formers View Post
^nice vato!!!
i have the same baron fig too,but i have his chest missilelolz!!
As do I my amigo, that was just a stock photo from the interwebz
G.I.Joe Figures - Hisstank

Feedback Threads:
Cybertron.ca
CobraCommander is offline   Reply With Quote