Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 11:27 AM   #1
chovner
Titanium
chovner's Ebay Auctions
Local only sales threads... why?

I've been seeing more and more "local only" sales threads popping up on the boards and I've always wondered what was the motivation behind that? Is it that the seller doesn't trust mailing stuff to people they can't physically see?
Is it the seller doesn't think they'd sell more out of province than locally so what's the point (stupid thought if that is the case)?
Is it that the seller thinks it's a colossal waste of time having to box stuff up and make multiple trips to the post office?
Is the seller scared of Canada Post employees as some sort phobia? Like when people are scared of clowns or the color red, or something odd like that?
Is the seller allergic to out of province money? Like money from Quebec might be smeared in smoked meat and poutine juices, whilst money from Newfoundland might be smeared in Screech and salt meat... mmmm Salt meat :|...

I just don't know that the benefits outweigh the cons of segregating your sales to local only...
Also... I hate them because I have lots of money and I want to give it to you for your stuff and you say no to me because I don't live by you, seems like something Hitler would do ... (*waits for responses from overly sensitive board members that think I'm actually saying they're like Hitler... holster's "LMFAO CALM DOWN MEIN KAMPF" response*)

Also... it's really early, I'm bored at work and need something to get me through until lunch... DISCUSS!!!!

Also before anyone tries to imply that I'm saying they shouldn't be allowed to post Local Only sales threads, that's not what I'm saying... Anyone can post any type of thread they want... THIS IS 'MERICA!!! what? it's not? THIS IS CANADA!!! I'm just equally allowed to irrationally (or rationally) complain about it... right? :|

Last edited by chovner; 03-05-2013 at 11:37 AM.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:42 AM   #2
Window
Robot Master
Re: Local only sales threads... why?

I think local only should vary - for me it was because most of my stuff was not boxed and was loose, it is harder to ship that stuff and make sure it gets to destination in 1 piece.

MISB or MIB or MOSC items are easier to do that with and honestly I think it is because some don't want to mess with Canada Post or risk sending the item and it getting damaged etc.

I don't think that is a good reason but I think that is their reasons for doing so.

I purchased a Primus from VETelus a few weeks back and he purchased 100$ worth of insurance on it for that very reason, so if it is damaged I'm covered and he is covered.

If more buyers and sellers did this it would solve alot of issues with that.

The other thing I think is that some sellers estimate shipping costs then when they go to ship it and already made the deal etc and shipping costs more they feel short changed, saw an exchange on that recently that I thought was rather silly.
If you don't want to get into that trap don't agree to shipping costs until you get the quote from Canada post and then get the money from the buyer.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:43 AM   #3
jourdo
Twitter: @jourdo2k3

I think some people see shipping as a hassle. You have to find a box, pack it all up, physically get it to the post office, etc. You also have to deal with the people who whine and complain about the costs associated with shipping... Even when you give them the dimensions/weight of the box and tell them to find something cheaper (true story).

Also Paypal. Yes, it is quick and easy... But the fees can be a touchy subject for some. Myself, it is the cost of doing business... But cash in hand is better than electronic money.

Finally, the unknown factor. People might be scared off of the scamminess that is eBay. Your hear stories of sellers crewing buyers and buyers screwing seller. I think our little community is above all that nonsense, but you never know.

Having said all that, I do think you limit your market a little too much when you do that. I have no issues with giving preference to local buyers though. Makes life easier on both ends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chovner View Post
Like money from Quebec might be smeared in smoked meat and poutine juices...
Man, I'm going to have Quebec only sales threads from now on if this is the case.

TFCC Runamuck x 3 Achieved! Now looking for Lego Ninjago NRG Jay for Christmas. If you can help, let me know.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:44 AM   #4
Window
Robot Master

It is funny you mention costs associated with shipping - I'm picking up a 20$ transformer from AB, been trying to find him locally but no dice but found him in box in AB - 37$ once shipped so shipping is almost the cost of the item but that is expected when you're dealing with individuals rather than companies.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:57 AM   #5
Foxw
Founder of BFC group

personal experience follows only.

in the past 5 or so years i've had canpo loose about 50% of my parcels. yes i've somehow offended my postman.

and this is going out & in. btw. yes after the first 10% got lost i started to insure. but ever try to claim that? once took me 2 weeks to get them to pony up a lousy 50 bucks. why, cuz it was a used item and they disputed the value.

or why i prefer to deal in person even when it's a bigger hassle.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:01 PM   #6
chovner
Titanium
chovner's Ebay Auctions

I don't think the seller should be concerned with shipping costs and Paypal fees, in the end it's the buyer who agrees to pay shipping or not pay shipping, paypal fees are usually paid by the buyer as well as commong practice.

I also prefer local sales because it is obviously easier... but from A LOT of selling experience, finding a box, packing it and sending isn't a huge deal at all... Especially when someone else is giving you money for things you want money for. I smile like Santa wrapping gifts every time I pack something up for someone... But greedy Black Santa that has your hard earned moneys in his liquor and wh0res Paypal accoutn fund ...
Not all my sales money goes to liquor and ladies of the night, just a portion.

As for the shipping quote I've heard stories of this happening but have no idea how. I've always dimensioned, and weighed any packages, then gotten an online quote from Canada Post (which is always accurate if you do it right). Then I wait to hear what the buyer wants to do before shipping... I never understood people who estimate on their own, take money, then get all worked up because their estimate was wrong when they went to send the package, and then ASK FOR MORE MONEY BECAUSE THEY GUESSED WRONG!!! (that's happened to me a few times, and my response was that of a dissappointed father teaching his simple son a life lesson).
Old 03-05-2013, 12:12 PM   #7
Window
Robot Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxw View Post
personal experience follows only.

in the past 5 or so years i've had canpo loose about 50% of my parcels. yes i've somehow offended my postman.

and this is going out & in. btw. yes after the first 10% got lost i started to insure. but ever try to claim that? once took me 2 weeks to get them to pony up a lousy 50 bucks. why, cuz it was a used item and they disputed the value.

or why i prefer to deal in person even when it's a bigger hassle.
What is funny is I work in claims for that exact kind of thing, unfortunately my company doesn't handle Canada Post but we handle alot of stuff like theirs, small parcel etc.

There is a box we have to work in and documents we have to get, alot of the time with grey market sales like this it is a bitch to substantiate values BUT easy way is to get a copy of the paypal transaction and BAM, hard copy of the value.

Just have to ensure it has the items being purchased and for how much on it.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:13 PM   #8
shabooya
Banned

I'll give a great example...
I was looking for a quick sale on a Masterpiece Thundercracker.

Someone from Toronto offered me 75 shipped.
I thought for a quick sale, sure, I'd take it.
I didnt have the figure in front of, didnt know its weight and did not know how big the box I would ship it in would be.

Turned out to ship it cost 25 bucks.
thats way more than I would have anticipated and really made me feel I had been lowballed.
I did not ask for more money, a deal is a deal but I felt that the buyer should have known roughly how much it would cost to ship...or even offered to kick in a few more bucks after the fact.

I know I have a general idea about how much it costs for things to come to me.

This experience really soured me on anything but local sales.

Last edited by shabooya; 03-05-2013 at 12:17 PM.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:19 PM   #9
Window
Robot Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabooya View Post
I'll give a great example...
I was looking for a quick sale on a Masterpiece Thundercracker.

Someone from Toronto offered me 75 shipped.
I thought for a quick sale, sure, I'd take it.
I didnt have the figure in front of, didnt know its weight and did not know how big the box I would ship it in would be.

Turned out to ship it cost 25 bucks.
thats way more than I would have anticipated and really made me feel I had been lowballed.
I did not ask for more money, a deal is a deal but I felt that the buyer should have known roughly how much it would cost to ship...or even offered to kick in a few more bucks after the fact.

I know I have a general idea about how much it costs for things to come to me.

This experience really soured me on anything but local sales.
Why didn't you do the research on the shipping costs before saying yes?
Hate to say it but you soured your own self there, not anyone else's fault.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:23 PM   #10
brr-icy
G1 Collector
Send a message via MSN to brr-icy

hate them as well, waste of time and thread space, and stuff barely moves. i have just unloaded 100 micromasters in a couple weeks, i wouldn't have sold anymore than a few locally. locally mainly just serves to piss people off

offering shipped prices is on you, i've been bit by it before, now i'll research and even go to the post office if necessary

my collection ^ Brr-icy Photgraphy on Facebook
Mostly G1 Japan Want list My Blog
my feedback:
Cybertron.ca
TFW
Closed Thread