Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Canadian Transformers News

Old 11-11-2017, 11:50 PM   #21
MapleMegatron
Canadian Slag
Re: Transformers The Last Knight Deluxe Cogman Released at Canadian Retail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
$20+ is steep, regardless of what our ridiculous market price is.
Aye Aye!
MapleMegatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 12:02 AM   #22
MapleMegatron
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotBot View Post
I also don't really know why you thought potp was going to be the same higher price. That was never reported to my recollection and I know two separate inside sources at a couple of different retailers who saw potp in their systems a couple months ago, and they were going for TR prices, thank God, because I too, like you, assumed this was going to be the new going rate and it is unacceptable.
It was reported.
http://news.tfw2005.com/2017/10/05/p...-images-351593
and
http://news.tfw2005.com/2017/10/05/p...-images-351592

Here is a breakdown of the MSRPs in USD for the POTP line directly from Hasbro

TRANSFORMERS: GENERATIONS POWER OF THE PRIMES MICRONUS PRIME MASTER
(Ages 8 years & up/Approx. Retail Price: $5.99/Available Fall 2017)

Transformers: Generations Power of the Primes Deluxe Class Terrorcon Cutthroat
(Ages 8 years & up/Approx. Retail Price: $19.99 SRP /Available: Spring 2018)

So same MSRP jump as TLK toys in the US

Transformers: Generations Power of the Primes Voyager Class Terrorcon Hun-Gurrr
(Ages 8 years & up/Approx. Retail Price: $29.99 SRP Available: Spring 2018)

Transformers: Generations Power of the Primes Leader Class Evolution Rodimus Unicronus
(Ages 8 years & up/Approx. Retail Price: $49.99 SRP /Available: Spring 2018)

In the end, yes, a price jump was reported and is still in effect at Hasbro. Target has chosen not to sell them at MSRP. Walmarts in the US didnt retail their TLK toys at MSRP either. However, in Canada for the TLK line, Walmart and Toysrus have chosen to sell at MSRP due to how less competitive our toy market is.

So looking at the evidence available for any user to see, showing that the price jump for TLK toys to be in effect with POTP, it makes perfect sense for someone to assume POTP will be prices the same as TLK products.

I of course hope its not the case, but the evidence from hasbro suggests otherwise.
MapleMegatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 01:34 AM   #23
Nocturn
Previously Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotBot View Post
MSRP doesn't make it right. If we roll over and say that it is okay to be charged that much then they will keep charging it, naturally, I would too if people were willing to pay it lol. But, it can and should be argued that it IS steep and it IS ridiculous. Hasbro should be utterly ashamed they ever dared charge 30 bucks for a crappy deluxe toy. TLK isn't close to as strong, quality wise, as the cheaper Titans Return. I also don't really know why you thought potp was going to be the same higher price. That was never reported to my recollection and I know two separate inside sources at a couple of different retailers who saw potp in their systems a couple months ago, and they were going for TR prices, thank God, because I too, like you, assumed this was going to be the new going rate and it is unacceptable. As for movie characters selling. I am curious, am I the only one living somewhere where they aren't selling..like...at all? Every character is super easy to get here because no one is buying them. More and more get put on the shelves but I have yet to see the stocks already out deminish to any measurable degree.

I am so sorry. I know the above sounds rant-ish, it isn't meant to be. I just get really impassioned about this topic, about unjustified price hikes. It is more like consumer advocacy. I might not feel as bad if I felt the quality justified the cost increase but I just don't. Maybe I am the only one, but doesn't it seem that 20 bucks for a deluxe should be the ceiling in terms of value for money for what it is? Then again, what do I know? Many are jumping hoops for MP Dinobot, and that thing is basically a fancy voyager for 249.99 US.
....those prices were reported on this site...

Attributing a ceiling to value is to pretend inflation doesn't exist. Everything gets more expensive all the time. Yes a 50% hike on something is jarring but this is a frivolous, luxury item.

$20 got you a lot more plastic ten years ago. It'll get you a lot less ten years from now.

Whether or not POTP comes out at $20, $25, or $30 a deluxe, kids will ask for them, parents will budget for them, hasbro will keep making money, and keep raising their prices as they see fit because they really haven't got competition, they own the brand completely.

I hope it's $20CAD but I'm also acknowledging that $20 deluxes will soon be a thing of the past. It wasn't that long ago MSRP on a deluxe was $15 and people were complaining about it going up a dollar or two at a time. It's not going to stop.
Nocturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 09:02 AM   #24
GotBot
Nexus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleMegatron View Post
It was reported.
http://news.tfw2005.com/2017/10/05/p...-images-351593
and
http://news.tfw2005.com/2017/10/05/p...-images-351592

Here is a breakdown of the MSRPs in USD for the POTP line directly from Hasbro

TRANSFORMERS: GENERATIONS POWER OF THE PRIMES MICRONUS PRIME MASTER
(Ages 8 years & up/Approx. Retail Price: $5.99/Available Fall 2017)

Transformers: Generations Power of the Primes Deluxe Class Terrorcon Cutthroat
(Ages 8 years & up/Approx. Retail Price: $19.99 SRP /Available: Spring 2018)

Transformers: Generations Power of the Primes Voyager Class Terrorcon Hun-Gurrr
(Ages 8 years & up/Approx. Retail Price: $29.99 SRP Available: Spring 2018)

Transformers: Generations Power of the Primes Leader Class Evolution Rodimus Unicronus
(Ages 8 years & up/Approx. Retail Price: $49.99 SRP /Available: Spring 2018)

In the end, yes, a price jump was reported and is still in effect at Hasbro. Target has chosen not to sell them at MSRP. Walmarts in the US didnt retail their TLK toys at MSRP either. However, in Canada for the TLK line, Walmart and Toysrus have chosen to sell at MSRP due to how less competitive our toy market is.

So looking at the evidence available for any user to see, showing that the price jump for TLK toys to be in effect with POTP, it makes perfect sense for someone to assume POTP will be prices the same as TLK products.

I of course hope its not the case, but the evidence from hasbro suggests otherwise.
Yes, I saw that and I know the trend is to have a hike apply across the board, accounting for exchange rates and such. TLK set a different precedent with a huge hike here and nothing really in the US. As such, I simply didn't jump to conclusions until I was told what was specifically listed in inventory systems. Based on those reports, we should see TR not TLK prices. We shall see soon enough but I'm hoping and wagering on TR price points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocturn View Post
....those prices were reported on this site...

Attributing a ceiling to value is to pretend inflation doesn't exist. Everything gets more expensive all the time. Yes a 50% hike on something is jarring but this is a frivolous, luxury item.

$20 got you a lot more plastic ten years ago. It'll get you a lot less ten years from now.

Whether or not POTP comes out at $20, $25, or $30 a deluxe, kids will ask for them, parents will budget for them, hasbro will keep making money, and keep raising their prices as they see fit because they really haven't got competition, they own the brand completely.

I hope it's $20CAD but I'm also acknowledging that $20 deluxes will soon be a thing of the past. It wasn't that long ago MSRP on a deluxe was $15 and people were complaining about it going up a dollar or two at a time. It's not going to stop.
Inflation is one thing but a jump of this magnitude was not due to inflation. And we aren't talking about over a period of ten or 20 years. We are talking a hike from one line simultaneously running concurrent to another that is of better quality and less costly. Over 10 years, of course you are right. And, as this is a luxury item, of course it has a ceiling when people say "Yeah, That's no longer worth it."
Parents will budget is an interesting statement . Apparently I do live in the only place TLK isn't selling. What I am hearing and seeing is that the public is sending a message of these toys costing more than their value by simply not buying them. Hence the recent drops.
I understand that costs creep up over time. I also get msrp, but I dunno about you, I rarely go by that. I don't buy a car or a house or anything for suggested/offered price and if it is a retail item, I have several over the years I have hit a ceiling on, though I love this franchise, it is no different. For those who do see the value with the TLK hike, that's wonderful and I am glad you are happy with that. I was just saying that personally, in today's current market, the TR price points seems more reasonably accurate to me than the TLK. Ten years from now? Probably a different story.
Either way, based on what was reported to my, potp SHOULD be at the TR prices regardless of msrp. Let's hope the reports prove to be true. Again, fingers crossed
GotBot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 06:33 PM   #25
Yonoid
Nexus Maximus

Got the last one at eb Sherway gardens. Thanks op
Yonoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 11:18 PM   #26
Chigimus
Masterpiece

As it has already been pointed out by MapleMegatron and Nocturn, yes, another jump in the price point was to be expected based on the links above. That said, even though the newest wave might be listed for TR price points, I'll throw in my 2 cents and wager that if that will actually be the case on this side of the border once the first waves of POTP releases here, then it may only be for the remainder of the calendar year or fiscal year. It's worth mention those MSRP's are for the Terrorcons which are scheduled for next spring, so my guess is even if we do see TR price equivalencies to start POTP, I think it will be short lived and we should still expect $25 deluxes and $35 voyager minimum at least by either January or early March.
Chigimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 12:43 AM   #27
down_shift
Fortress Maximus

I really don't see them going higher than what they are. They touted the movie stuff as premium. You throw that word around, people are willing to pay a little extra for perceived value.

POTP Deluxe are already out and selling for the same price as Titans Deluxe. If that's the trend, I don't see our shelves holding a higher price tag when compared to the Titans line.

But, like everyone else - fingers crossed and all that jazz.
down_shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 09:32 AM   #28
justprime
Animated

What is ridiculous is that again an eb games release not unlike walgreens and not main stream release add to this that its end of line and like hotrod hard to find...dampens the mood of trying to add new charters to the movie collecting here in the greĆ*t white north
justprime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 12:12 AM   #29
Alexander Quinn
Sarcasti-con

For everyone jumping on the tangent of pricing moving forward, I just checked TRU.ca. They have POTP stuff listed (not available to order though). Leaders $59.99, Voyagers $29.99, Deluxes $19.99. Crisis averted, hopefully.

On track, I grabbed Cogman today. Either I leveled up to Platinum Edge status or they’re doing their action figure discount again, as it came up at $26.99. I can live with price.
Alexander Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 11:46 AM   #30
chaingunsofdoom
Wrecker
Re: Transformers The Last Knight Deluxe Cogman Released at Canadian Retail

If you're having trouble finding Cogman only the Mall-based EBs got his wave here in Calgary. My non-mall EB searched the computers using the SKU and only the Malls returned any stock.
chaingunsofdoom is offline   Reply With Quote