Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers Feedback and Reviews

Old 06-24-2009, 11:53 PM   #101
Nightscrabbler
mississaugascrabble.com
Re: (SPOILERS ALLOWED) Transformers RoTF Your Reviews

Optimus Prime was fantastic. Everyone else... nah.
I'm not seeing what everyone loved about the film. I didn't think I could be disappointed considering my expectations were low for this film and yet I was. I was just hoping that some of the Transformers would be redeeming, but aside from Optimus, they were all failures in my book. Sure, Megatron and Starscream had some good G1esque banter, but beyond that? Megatron was an obsequious pawn, and considering he was back from the dead one would think he'd have an awesome return, but he didn't. Starscream did nothing worthwhile. The other Autobots were either unused or crummy, with the Twins leading the charge. I do appreciate that they tried to give the TFs more characterization and tell a deeper story, but they just didn't do it well. As I said, the other bots were pretty lame. The Fallen who the whole movie is supposedly about isn't cool either. Devastator was completely unremarkable. Just a ton of uncool characters and story-wise, when they get to Egypt, it's just all over the place and filled with basic logic gaps. And if all these weaknesses weren't enough, the film was just made embarrassing by some lowbrow pandering, i.e. the sexual jokes.

But hey, Prime was really good throughout.
Nightscrabbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 12:24 AM   #102
Mighty_Galvatron
Canadian Slag

I thought that was an awesome and epic Transformers movie! A lot to take in in a single viewing so my comments may be unorganized. I need to see this again and will, but this time in IMAX.

Sure there are things I could nitpick about in terms of plot and whatnot, but what's the point? I could also go on and on nitpicking about the G1 storyline, but again, whats the point?

This is exactly what I was expecting and it was 2h30m of wicked. The Bots were awesome and the battles were just superb.

I loved the increased dialogue for the Transformers - the more of this a TF movie has the better it is in my opinion. The Megatron and Starscream conversations were great! I loved Soundwave's voice so much. I only wish he came down to Earth to battle at the end and maybe slam Bumblebee around for what he did to Ravage.

I was hoping for more Optimus Prime. The fact that he "died" only lessened his screentime so that bothered me a bit.

Seeing that green dumptruck and the Decepticon logo on Mixmaster nearly made me poop. Really awesome. I would have liked to see more of Devastator though - short lived.

I liked Megatron much more this time around. He was very involved in the battles and moved around a lot form place to place. But most of all I could understand what he was saying! I found that in the first movie he was a mumbler. He was awesome in this movie - however i did not really care for him to be a minion of The Fallen though. It would have been nice if he had an alterior motive for hanging with The Fallen.

And man did Prime do some serious trash talking in this film! I don't know what to make of it. It was cool, yet it felt really out of character at times. That bot can really talk some shit!

Where was Barricade?

I could have used some flashbacks to Cybertron.

Yeah I still need to digest this as I just got home from seeing it - so I will comment more on it later on.

The only thing I can say I HATED was Skids and Mudflap. They were horrible. Horrible crap I wish they never existed and I might buy the toys just to throw around when/if I get angry. They somehow degraded the name "Transformer" to me. Same with Wheelie's dry humping. Wow.

IMAX here I come!
Mighty_Galvatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 12:37 AM   #103
Protoman
The Legend

So ummmmm I got back from the IMAX version in Montreal today (With our awesome board member Guber and a friend). I saw the movie in it's regular version on monday (as seen in post #3 by FreedomGundam and now I saw the IMAX one........................ odd thing......

......there was no new extra scenes or footage......? Am I alone?
Follow Protoman on TWITTER - Protoman http://twitter.com/Protoman

Last edited by Protoman; 06-25-2009 at 12:43 AM.
Protoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 12:46 AM   #104
Paradigm-Shift Prime
Unit Warrior

Saw it today, it was ok I guess. There were some sweet parts, but from a critical movie perspective it has some major problems. I'm not a fan of 'popcorn movies' either so..., but I tend to look at this as a movie from neither of the 'fanyboy' extremes, 'omfg best &$#*# evar!!!' on end end for anything that has the title transformers and 'RAWR!!! RAGE hate kills nothing but G1 is real transformers' on the other (). So I'm not afraid to criticize but I'm not out looking to bash.

But yeah three major areas that bring it down imo:

1. Comedy:
Far far far too much in the line of really low-end, appeal to 10 year olds humor. I think half the script consisted of the following words: balls, testicles, scrotum, hump, fart, crap, bitches, etc. Poop n fart humor never really does it for me but even for those who might laugh at it a bit I think it was a major overkill. It was like every second line.

I think a problem that leads to this is too many goof-ball characters. You have Sam, the room-mate (ugh), Skids, Mudflap, Simmons, and Wheelie. And the whole second half of the movie is that exact pairing all together. So in what could be the most intense, serious, or dramatic sequences of the movie instead you have the persistant reversion to being horny and passing gas (i.e. the Devi balls scene, which really sums up the character of the TF movies they have decided to go after). I think just Skids and Mudflap cracking jokes and passing gas would have been plenty (and maybe not making them the bots with near or at the most screen time). The roommate coming along for the whole ride just for comic relief was totally unnecessary when there was already so much (and he had no role/function).

2. (lack of) characterization of the bots:

Well I think this is an area where pretty much everybody could agree was lacking in the first movie. It partially has to do with limited special effects screen time, but it has to do with how they develop the characters in other ways too.

So yeah, lots more screen time in ROTF, yet little more characterization on the whole. That must leave it to how they develop the characters other than the fact that they are being seen on the screen. They did a little more to work on the decepticons this time, i.e. the Megs/SS confrontation scene, the dcon lair scene. However the development of the autobots seems to get sacrified/just left stagnant. Previous characters except for Prime and Bee now have about 2 lines each.

And all new characters are simply now around, no background or character account for pretty much all of them (twins, Sideswipe, the fallen at first, and why Megatron is so not the boss of the decepticons anymore and a suckup to him, Devi, poor Jolt who doesn't even get introduced until one of the last scenes of the movie and has maybe 1/2 a second of screen time up until then, etc.). I think this is the biggest problem, lifeless, characterless characters for the vast majority of them. And no bot dialogue outside of absolutely necessary one liners.

And then there's the incoherent doubles/drone armies thing for the decepticons they decided to do. It just doesn't make any sense, and they certainly don't provide an explanation for it. It esepcially is bad because the individual Devi limbs are fighting at the same time as Devi is formed. ???. One even gets named (called out by Megs I think), and it's not like they're just background, BB has his fight with one, etc.

3. Pacing/Plot:

Well, the plot isn't exactly rocket science but it gets the movie along. The pacing however I had some trouble with. The movie starts out fast, serious, and with a bang of nice action. There is almost no backstory on the 'what happened in between movies', just the absolute basics. Some account of which new bots are there, their skills, why those ones, etc. would have been great here (see 2. characterization) but as the movie continues we learn that we're not to ask any questions about how why and when robots show up in any given scene. Sometimes a chacter shows up in a scene, 15-20 minutes of in-movie time pass, and then when they are next shown they pretty much haven't moved or done anything (i.e. when Megs shows up on the top of the pyramid). Either that or one goes away or disappears and then don't reappear until well later, when they had no where else to be. Where were they for all that time? (These two presence/pacing problems were in the first movie too, and most notable in the battle scenes leading to the climax in both movies).

The transition to Sam's story is nice and smooth early on and the movie finds an early balance. More pretty sweet action with Prime fighting off the dcons after Sam (insert first random tformer with no name or character). From the point Prime dies though until pretty much the climax (the last half hour of the movie, once Devi is formed on) there is a MAJOR lull in the movie, little tfs, action, slow moving, not a lot of plot development. Then things pick up quickly for the final fights (and the last 1/3rd of the pee pee jokes) and the movie ends abruptly. Decent final battle but very quick once Prime is back and, again, very little in plot or character summary offered. It pretty much just ends on the spot.

I am generally a fan of longer movies but for the 2 1/2 hours that ROTF was it doesn't seem too well used. They could have used this time to develop robot character and plot details/background, condensed parts to make the robot scenes more frequent, or heaven forbid, cut out some of the extened potty scenes.

Sorry to sound somewhat downer on ROTF, but keep in mind this is a critical perspective, which I tend to have when I watch movies, and that I only want as good as a Transformers product as possible and so naturally have critique on how I think it could be done better. Unfortunately I do find that some of the areas of critque, namely the three sumarized here, are a bit critical and so bring down the experience of the movie a fair bit from both an objective critical and TF fan perspective. I did find it enjoyable on the whole, but these issues were frustrating me even right as I watched, and limit the overall quality of the movie and the depth or coherence of the world/verse they are trying to set-up and have the viewer become absorbed into (as is typical of movies that go for the 'bubbly summer popcorn flick' thing).

Last edited by Paradigm-Shift Prime; 06-25-2009 at 01:25 AM.
Paradigm-Shift Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 12:49 AM   #105
Paradigm-Shift Prime
Unit Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
Optimus Prime was fantastic. Everyone else... nah.
I'm not seeing what everyone loved about the film. I didn't think I could be disappointed considering my expectations were low for this film and yet I was. I was just hoping that some of the Transformers would be redeeming, but aside from Optimus, they were all failures in my book. Sure, Megatron and Starscream had some good G1esque banter, but beyond that? Megatron was an obsequious pawn, and considering he was back from the dead one would think he'd have an awesome return, but he didn't. Starscream did nothing worthwhile. The other Autobots were either unused or crummy, with the Twins leading the charge. I do appreciate that they tried to give the TFs more characterization and tell a deeper story, but they just didn't do it well. As I said, the other bots were pretty lame. The Fallen who the whole movie is supposedly about isn't cool either. Devastator was completely unremarkable. Just a ton of uncool characters and story-wise, when they get to Egypt, it's just all over the place and filled with basic logic gaps. And if all these weaknesses weren't enough, the film was just made embarrassing by some lowbrow pandering, i.e. the sexual jokes.

But hey, Prime was really good throughout.
lol, just read this after finishing my post above. I agree with all these sentiments 100%, very much how I feel too. I make many of the same points in my #2 (at least 10 of the same points I think).
Paradigm-Shift Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 01:09 AM   #106
Guber
Generation 2
Guber's Ebay Auctions

Just saw ROTF tonight on IMAX!!! Ain't it grand?

Guber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 01:13 AM   #107
Protoman
The Legend

LOL! Awesome photo Guber!!!!! I love how Jeremy is looking up and yet Bumblebee in the poster is looking down!
Old 06-25-2009, 01:14 AM   #108
FreedomGundam
Freedom, ikimasu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradigm-Shift Prime View Post
I think a problem that leads to this is too many goof-ball characters. You have Sam, the room-mate (ugh), Skids, Mudflap, Lennox, and Wheelie.
I think you meant "Simmons", not "Lennox". Lennox was about as far from "goof-ball" as you could get.
FreedomGundam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 01:15 AM   #109
Megamould
Dipstick Tapedeck

I went to a midnight showing last night, and unfortunately I ended having to sit too close to the damn screen. So it was like being hit in the face over and over again for 2 1/2 hours. Really hard to process it when you cant fit the screen in your field of vision. I need to go see it again and sit further back haha..

Not sure how I feel about it yet, but I gotta say Prime was great this time around. Too bad he was missing for half the movie, but when he was around, he was awesome.
Megamould is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 01:19 AM   #110
Protoman
The Legend
Cool Re: (SPOILERS ALLOWED) Transformers RoTF Your Reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradigm-Shift Prime View Post
I think a problem that leads to this is too many goof-ball characters. You have Sam, the room-mate (ugh), Skids, Mudflap, Lennox, and Wheelie.
I....... I like Wheelie. He makes me want to have a Supreme Class 1/1 scale toy of him. Sure was more enjoyable then Devastator and we are getting a $139.99 toy of him.