Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers Customs and Artwork

Old 04-11-2012, 08:10 PM   #1
Echotransformer
Loves all things G1-ish..
G1 Razor Claw/Predaking arm extensions complete (Shapeways)

Hey guys,

Some of you may have seen my first Shapeways project, some thigh and waist extensions for Predaking to fix his proportions:

http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=38972

In the process of doing a Razorclaw waist extension, I wondered if arm extensions looked cool, so I did some sketches and Lego mockups and decided to try Shapeways again...

Well the I completed the CAD and the Shapeways parts arrived...this time I did them on a "tree" which brought the costs down a fair amount...highly recommended!

As you can see the design differs a bit from the sketch...working thru it I decided to replicate a 10mm ball design, it's actually compatible with lego ball joints, which could be fun for custom arm upgrades, etc.:

On a whole, I made the ball joints too loose. WAY too loose. Let me tell you guys, engineering this stuff is pretty difficult...when I did the thigh extensions, everything was way too tight, this time it was too loose. I over-compensated. Hopefully the third time is a charm.

Any ways I painted and painted and painted to build up thickness:

And although the joint improved, it's nowhere close to what I want. Oh well, version 2.0 will attempt to fix it.

Okay, at least we can get an idea of what it should look like. Here's a before and after:

^^ And although it looks better, I'm strongly considering dumping the ball joints and just going for a simple extension. Not that I don't want to master ball joints...there's just something 'off' about the location and the look...I don't know, tell me what you think.

Posing Razorclaw's arm (crappy focus, sorry):

And of course, the big guy himself with the arm extensions installed--basically it 'fills out' the waist a bit:

So overall not the raging success I had hoped for engineering wise but it was fun and I learned a lot. V2 thighs/extensions/arms will attempt to address all of this...I'll keep you guys posted.

If anyone is interested in buying a set of V2 prototypes just PM me.

All the best!

Echo
Echotransformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 09:49 PM   #2
blurr
Generation 1
Re: G1 Razor Claw/Predaking arm extensions complete (Shapeways)

Looks great Echo!

I can tell a lot of work went into it and Razorclaw's arms have always looked too much like little stubs. Great idea with this upgrade!

I agree with your comments that the ball joints are probably a bit low for elbows and if you implemented simply as arm extensions, it would help keep your prices down.

Your Predaking looks awesome with all those add on parts!
blurr is offline   Reply With Quote