Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 03-05-2010, 12:35 PM   #1
Powered Convoy
Tell me I'm wrong...

Hey all

Recently, I've been thinking about totally getting out of TFs. I did a big purge last September/October and narrowed down my collection to G1 1984 (with a few exceptions like Insecticons etc. who appeared in Season 1). I thought this would be a good idea, keeping my favourite year of TFs for the nostalgia. But I haven't even really looked at the collection in 6 months. I recently started watching Season 1 again and thought... "meh"

What's happening?!? I used to LOVE G1 TFs...bought every reissue, all the Rhino DVDs, all the IDW Marvel reprints...now I'm saying "meh"???

Has anyone else gone through this??
Powered Convoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 12:43 PM   #2
UltraPrimal
Canadian Slag
Re: Tell me I'm wrong...

Doctor, we're loosing him!
Old 03-05-2010, 12:43 PM   #3
jackalprime
Y U NO MAKE NEW BEASTWARS
jackalprime's Ebay Auctions

Just wake up, Powered Convoy, its a dream...wake up...

Seriously though, maybe you're just moving on, maybe your tastes have changed. Happens to all of us. Your just doin' it wrong lol.

"for everything there ever was"

jackalprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 12:48 PM   #4
Shockwave 75
I drink, & I know things.

Maybe you just need some "time off".

I know that for last few years not much has really excited me about a lot of the product out there.

Wait and see if there is anything that excites you about what comes out next year.

Personally I'm the type who only buys what I like, I'm not a completist by far, so my actual purchases are pretty low. It really amazes me to hear about some of our fellow collectors who buy everything. I find myself wondering, where do they get all this money? And, how do they have time to be running around, buying all this stuff and have a life?

Like I said, just take some time off, a step back, whatever. Something in the coming year may re-ignite your spark.
Old 03-05-2010, 01:09 PM   #5
Powered Convoy

Thanks for responding.

I still don't know what's happening

Before this whole G1 reissue thing, I practically used to dream about getting an "original" Optimus Prime again. Almost every G1-related product that has been released since Takara started doing their "Collection" series (the white book-style ones) has fascinated me. But lately...meh

I decided to NOT sell everything last year and hold on to the 1984 stuff...because at least I'd still have the "original" run. But now...I don't know
Powered Convoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 01:18 PM   #6
Uberman
Energon

You're wrong.
Old 03-05-2010, 01:27 PM   #7
JLvatron
Chosen 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uberman View Post
You're wrong.
x1000!!!

Powered Convoy, you need to do some soul searching here. Ask yourself what you liked about the early G1 Transformers in the 1st place.
Was it the great cartoon story? Was it he Transformation of the toys? Was it the playability factor? Did you draw them on Sunday nights?

When you get your answers, then ask how much of that you still do now. Then go back to all that you lost, and sit back and enjoy the recapture!!
I personally, have lost the playability factor, but have gained some customizing, so that has helped.

JLvatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 01:56 PM   #8
Shepp
Maverick Hunter
Shepp's Ebay Auctions

Personally I'm not that interested in G1 figures anymore except for specific characters, and that's for the characters themselves rather than the toys.

Also, in the past I was focused on getting all Transformers and their related merchandise. I reached a point where I suddenly realized that I didn't care for even half of it. I didn't care for many of the figures I sought. My reason to have them was just to have them. Or they completed something.

So yeah, I'm still partly in the process of purging and tailoring my collection down to my personal tastes.

If you are disinterested in it, them maybe its time to move on. Just make sure you are actually disinterested and not just momentarily bored.

I mean my collection has pretty much been packed up in crates and bins for well over a year and a half, yet it is ALWAYS on my mind. The fact that I can't just rip it all out and display my collection as a whole (or add any to it) just eats away at my soul.

But then that's just me. When I did have most displayed I'd stand there and stare at them for a long while, not very often picking them up to mess around (but that was mostly because it would result in a domino effect knocking several over).

Anyways, sometimes people do lose interest in hobbies. It may be gaming, painting, model making, collecting, etc. Sometimes the passion just isn't there anymore.

If you do a complete purge, I suggest selecting maybe 4 or so figures and holding onto them merely for nostalgia's sake. Or even just bring it all down to one. It'll make for an interesting display and conversation piece.

If you haven't looked at any of it in over 6 months, store it at a friend's place for another six months.

If you don't think about it during that time, then maybe the passion really is gone and its time to move on. Then you might want to either sell it all and gain back some of the money spent on it, or hold onto it in storage for a time when you have kids of your own and you can share it with them without feeling like they might break your stuff, since it is now theirs.

Last edited by Shepp; 03-05-2010 at 01:58 PM.
Shepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 01:58 PM   #9
Dark Rage
白人看不懂

Don't sell something you will regret; either it's a personal favourite or rare item you'll kick yourself for selling.
Dark Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 02:01 PM   #10
Shepp
Maverick Hunter
Shepp's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Rage View Post
Don't sell something you will regret; either it's a personal favourite or rare item you'll kick yourself for selling.
Exactly. That is why it is VERY important to make sure it is actual disinterest and moving on instead of just temporary boredom.
Shepp is offline   Reply With Quote