Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers Customs and Artwork

Old 12-30-2011, 02:58 PM   #1
Undrave
Canadian Slag
Tips on painting Sunspot?

I love the ROTF Skystalker mold, it's fantastic. When Sunspot came out I nabbed it and did a little amateur custom painting using my metallic blue Gundam marker. The result isn't half bad, I think, and looks decent on the smaller details (you can see the pen strokes way too much on the larger parts though). I've been thinking of finding good spray paint that's not too expensive and apply a new coat on his back to get a smoother finish. I'd like to add some Autobot stickers to this repaint I've christened 'Thunderburst' and I can't do it until I'm satisfied with the paint.

In the meantime I've been slowly army building Sunspot, picking up stray ones whenever I spot one on a peg. I got three more now and I'd like to paint at least two of them.

I'm looking for some tips on paint choice for this particular mold and things to look out for if I go for it. I'm thinking of only painting the top of the vehicle mode, leaving the rest of the robot in its stock color, akin to what I did with my paint marker.
Undrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 04:10 PM   #2
Bruticus82
Fortress Maximus
Re: Tips on painting Sunspot?

That looks really awesome! I don't have any advice, I'll leave that for the customizers, but wow, that is a nice job!

1. Combiner Wars Devastator
2. 25th Anniversary Unicron (MISB)
3. DOTM Takara Vortex (MOSC)
+ and more!

Looking to buy:
1. G1 Pretender Groundbreaker

My Feedback Thread

Avatar Image by the talented Ninjatron!
Bruticus82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 05:51 PM   #3
Undrave
Canadian Slag

Thanks. It's not THAT good looking in person but I did my best. Also that picture was before I highlighted his eyes. It doesn't show very well on the mold but there is two depression under the rim of the cap part of the head, I think that's the actual eyes and not the drone's camera. It also look like he has a molded beak . Anyway I used a panel liner to darken his eyes so he looks more like he has a face than just a camera.
Old 12-31-2011, 11:18 AM   #4
chans formers
raff ow roud

looks pretty cool for an evil lil' bugger!!!
the blue doesn't actually look too bad so far,but it seems like he needs a bit of blue on the top of his head.it kinda sticks out a bit being the stock color only so far.
for the decals/stickers,make sure you use a "gloss" clearcoat as any and all decals have a hard time adhering to a textured surface.i found this out the hard way awhile back.
plus,with a few light coats of clearcoat,he should be protected enough on his back to be able to combine with voyager strafe without scratching his back too bad.(his back and the very front pointy tip on his chest or "nosecone are succeptable to paint rubbage when combining with strafe if not protected and done carefully.
don't use a flat or matte clear on him though as flat/matte clears almost always turn bright shiny metallics into dull base colors.
Old 01-01-2012, 11:00 PM   #5
Undrave
Canadian Slag

Thanks for the tips! Maybe I could paint his 'ears' in metallic blue too.

Dang I really should have picked up Strafe at the boxing week sale I could add red to one of these guys so he matches with Strafe...
Old 01-01-2012, 11:12 PM   #6
Stapler
Nexus Maximus

Love the yellow and blue!

Looking for: - Energon Snow Cat's mini-con connecter piece.

- Hasbro MP Rodimus prime junker (need left shoulder/arm).
Stapler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 11:17 PM   #7
Undrave
Canadian Slag

Well the Yellow isn't my doing