Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers Customs and Artwork

Old 09-21-2016, 02:50 PM   #1
Shepp
Maverick Hunter
Shepp's Ebay Auctions
Combiner Wars Prowl to Jazz (WIP)

Phase 1 is complete. Chopped off the vehicle mode lights, and completed Jazz's head from Prowl's.

Not especially proud of my work on the head, but considering this is like my second REAL kitbash, I shouldn't judge myself too hard.

The head is made from Prowl's, I shaved off his crest and saved the tips to make Jazz's horns (glued them on after I was done trimming everything). Cut down his mohawk to make the top of Jazz's head. removed the side "ear" pieces, cut the cheek guards flat.

I used a black Sakura Pigma marker to make the head black and let it sit overnight to dry, and then sealed it with the same Garnier Fructis extreme hold hairspray I use with my 3d printer.

Then to make sure it was somewhat set and cured I used the heat of a lighter (not the flame) to dry and seal the black. I could run my finger on it without smudging, so I was satisfied. This also made it a bit shiny.

Admittedly, the head's progress looked much better before the visor.

For the visor I dug around in some Megablocks and misc bin for something translucent blue, came up with a 2x2x1 sloped brick in translucent blue.

Using sidecutters I cut out two rough shapes, and then trimmed down and angled the sides with a hobby knife.

I then used superglue to stick them on Jazz's face. They jut out because they're just too thick, and slightly off center. I could move them around a little bit, but I couldn't remove them without possibly ruining the silver on the face underneath. The excess superglue also made a rough finish over some of the shiny black parts.

The head works for Jazz, a shame about the visor though.

Phase 2 will be to remove Prowl's police paint apps on the doors, and then add some paint on vehicle mode and chestplate to make him Jazz. I'll most likely add some paint apps to his gun, just to make him a little more unique.

I'll post more when I have more progress.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03566.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	34868   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03567.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	34869   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03568.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	34870  
Shepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 04:07 PM   #2
Tekkamanraiden
G1 Original
Tekkamanraiden's Ebay Auctions
Re: Combiner Wars Prowl to Jazz (WIP)

Looks pretty good, I am curious how did you get the roof so smooth?

Feedback http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=19772
Tekkamanraiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 05:50 PM   #3
Shepp
Maverick Hunter
Shepp's Ebay Auctions

I cut the lights off with a hobby knife, then carefully scraped the paint the rest of the way off with the edge of the blade. It took a whole lot more effort and time to cut the lights off than I thought.

It was fairly smooth already, though a bit uneven. Also, there's a hole in the roof at one side since I cut a little too deep (not the rectangular one in the middle).

That being the case, I sorta cheated a bit. Since I'll be painting the roof, I dabbed a little bit of superglue into the hole to the point that it would more or less seal, and then spread a VERY thin layer of superglue around it and over the rest of the cut point.

Since this area had no connections to anything, and I wasn't playing with it moving pieces around, I gently blew air over it until it was dry.

And yes, I made sure to avoid the cracks so the windshield will still move properly.

It isn't quite as smooth as the picture makes it look, but it'll work well enough.

I think I realized why they didn't release a CW Jazz, there's already two white cars using this sculpt.
Old 09-21-2016, 10:07 PM   #4
Robimus
Iacon North Scout

I like it. You could try and go a different route on the head if you are unhappy with it. Look for either a Kreo head from the Jazz set or one from the Fall of Cybertron set.

I currently have two Jazz customs I used the head from those $12 Kreon sets for.

Visit the official TFcon Toronto website for all the details!
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 11:54 AM   #5
Rodimus Prime1
Ride in Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepp View Post
I cut the lights off with a hobby knife, then carefully scraped the paint the rest of the way off with the edge of the blade. It took a whole lot more effort and time to cut the lights off than I thought.
If your going to do alot of customs get one of these they go thru plastic like butter!!

PS they also go thru left index fingers pretty good too.

Anyway looks good so far !!

A Lego figure visor may work too.

Wants: >

Feedback

Collection

Last edited by Rodimus Prime1; 09-22-2016 at 12:28 PM.
Rodimus Prime1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 12:22 PM   #6
GotBot
Nexus Maximus

That's looking pretty sweet so far and I think the mold works great as Jazz. I look forward to seeing this project progress, keep it up!
GotBot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 09:15 PM   #7
Shepp
Maverick Hunter
Shepp's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodimus Prime1 View Post
If your going to do alot of customs get one of these they go thru plastic like butter!!

PS they also go thru left index fingers pretty good too.

Anyway looks good so far !!

A Lego figure visor may work too.
Considering my hobby knife went pretty deep into my thumb during this project, I think I'll stick with what I got.

As for a different visor, that's exactly what I was looking for when digging around in my MB bin. found some yellows, reds, and oranges, took a long time to find anything that was clear or blue. I value my Legos a little too much to harvest any of those parts.

The head was an experiment to see what I could do with what I had. Otherwise I would have gone out and got black paint.