Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 01-09-2019, 12:43 AM   #21
JLvatron
Chosen 1
Re: What Did You Think Of Bumblebee?? **SPOILERS**

Just saw the movie tonight. Very disappointed. I expected this to be an improvement over the Bay directed movies, but it hardly was.

Eliminating the Bay gutter humour and adding the G1 design Transformers on Cybertron was awesome.
But that alone does not make a good movie or story.

Instead, they made Bumblebee an idiotic buffoon for half the film, and focused most of the movie on humans. The story was basic at best.

At the end, this seemed like a non-Transformers film, with Transformers in buffoonery cameos, with little plot or character development.

Despite the director change, this is a Typical Bay movie, yet again.

JLvatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 01:06 AM   #22
JLvatron
Chosen 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamo.Dave View Post
I was hyped beyond reason at the beginning and through the intro Cybertron scenes.
I get why you can't have a whole movie like that due to cost and such, but holy hell all the cameos, and you could recognize everyone straight up.
Even if you could have the whole movie like that, awesome eye candy visuals and action scenes don't make a story alone.

Quote:
By the scene where Bee is fumbling around in the house, breaking things, I was out of the movie entirely. I didn't get the pace, I was bored, and didn't have enough of a grasp of the overall story/point to be enthusiastic.
That killed it. A lot of the movie was boring after that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNSrobot View Post
Man, Why is this such a TROPE of the Bay movies (which this still has the DNA of)? Oh, those silly, naive, clumsy alien robots! CHORTLES
Unfortunately, this is not just on Michael Bay's shoulders. 1 of the movie execs from Hasbro was interviewed about the 2007 film, and he said the clumsy scene outside Sam's house represented the essence of Transformers.

Different writers and director, but they still think this is what Transformers is about.

I found this 1 of the worst aspects of the Bayformers films, and unfortunately this movie had it in spades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshimus View Post
While I did enjoy Bumblebee I still think the 2007 movie was the best. Say what you will about Shia, at least it felt like he connected with Bee and all the CGI around him. Haliee was alright but moments where she is crying she has no tears and it just looks odd and fake to me. Shia wasnt afraid to cry to show he cared for Bee. Hell, just watch DOTM when Soundwave is offing Autobots and Bee is next in line.
I also found Haliee did a decent job, but with Bumblebee the only Transformer around plus not able to talk, she couldn't carry the movie on her own.
Shia at lest had Optimus Prime around, so he could have an intelligent conversation with a Transformer. Also, Sam's journey in ROTF was epic.

Neither Hailee nor Bumblebee had any epic vibe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisky Tango Foxtrot View Post
I'll just paste what I said in the movie's box-office thread:
Very agree.

Last edited by JLvatron; 01-09-2019 at 01:08 AM.
Old 01-09-2019, 01:33 AM   #23
JLvatron
Chosen 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotBot View Post
Also bothersome is that at no point anywhere is Blitzwing, Shatter or Dropkick given names. As Starscream Fiancee pointed out, though it was great to see Decepticons as well rounded characters, something gets lost for the average fan in needing to say the "blue dude" or the "crazy red missy". A small gripe but I could see it causing a disconnect for the average moviegoer.
Very agree. While it didn't ruin the movie, the viewing experience would have been better if we could identify the Decepticons to give them more value.

Honestly, I got home and read Wikipedia and thought, "That seeker jet was supposed to be Blitzwing???"

Quote:
Everything with Memo was awkward, clunky and generally unnecessary, as was Bee stumbling around the house. He just came from a war zone and has no better sense than to be delicate?
I liked Memo, in a Bob Ross sort of way
But
Bumblebee's brainless clumsiness helped ruin the film for me.

Quote:
Finally, if this is in the Bayverse, as Travis Knight has said himself, then why was Earth depicted by Optimus as a new discovery? Was not Bee and Hot Rod there in 1944 or thereabouts? Also, since Megs was found in, what was It, 1897 and on ice since the 30's then why, exactly, did Shatter and Dropkick not break him out?
No Transformer knew Megatron or the Allspark cube were on Earth at this time. At least I think.

I would have completely forgiven the lack of continuity if this film had distanced itself from the Bay movies. But since it was very much a Bay style film, I must criticize the continuity errors.

- Bumblebee was in WW II, as you stated
- incorrect. Edited out : [he was a VW Beetle at the start of 2007, yet in this he already becomes a camaro.]
- Prime comes to Earth here in 1987? While in 2007 he landed for the 1st time in his Rock Lord meteor form.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robimus View Post
I think it is more that it isn’t epic enough to draw in huge audiences. But it isn’t intended to be.

With the exception of TLK(which might have been too epic), Bay’s films were all incredibly epic and all attracted the general public in big numbers.
While not necessary, Epic helps.
While the previous Bayformers were also poor movies, I enjoyed the epicness of movies #2,3, &5, and the clever ways they achieved it.

Last edited by JLvatron; 01-13-2019 at 01:34 PM. Reason: Corrected error
Old 01-09-2019, 01:34 AM   #24
alternatorfan
g1 baby

I dont understand prime being on earth already when the meteors fell.
Prime was part of the meteors that fell in the first movie of live action.
Big gaps that dont make sense.
alternatorfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 04:29 AM   #25
alternatorfan
g1 baby

At least to those who actually follow the time lines of the movies.
alternatorfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 04:52 AM   #26
79transam
Machine War

Is it on Netflix yet?
79transam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 09:11 AM   #27
freshmeat666
Generation 1

[QUOTE=JLvatron;779005]Very agree. While it didn't ruin the movie, the viewing experience would have been better if we could identify the Decepticons to give them more value.

Honestly, I got home and read Wikipedia and thought, "That seeker jet was supposed to be Blitzwing???"

I liked Memo, in a Bob Ross sort of way
But
Bumblebee's brainless clumsiness helped ruin the film for me.

No Transformer knew Megatron or the Allspark cube were on Earth at this time. At least I think.

I have to chime in on this one at this point.. Made myself sit through Bays' first Transformers movie very recently and it was made EXCEPTIONALLY clear in the film that 1. No transformer knew Megatron was on Earth, he had crashed there and subsequently froze solid in ice, essentially deactivated. 2. He was moved to Hoover dam ON PURPOSE to hide him and the cube from the other transformers. (plot device missing here is HOW THE HELL did they keep him frozen to move him there in the first place, but we're not picking on Bay here on this one)

As far as the Bumblebee movie goes. I loved it. I was really annoyed by the trashing of the house scene, but it was ultimately forgivable in the scope of the rest of the film. I liked how Bee had forgotten who he was, it was neat seeing him realise that not only was he capable of fighting back, he was actually GOOD at it. Hailee has said recently that she would like to do another film and honestly, I'd love to see that. Oh and another thing, it's not really a plot hole to see him and Prime together at the end, Prime DID say he was coming and no, he did not say how or when. I thought it was REALLY cool to see Bee roll up on Prime and take point off into the sunset. Can't wait to pick up this bluray.. I don't own any of Bay's and don't plan on it.

And yes, I am a huge Transformer fan and collector.
freshmeat666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 05:25 PM   #28
Robimus
Iacon North Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLvatron View Post

I also found Haliee did a decent job, but with Bumblebee the only Transformer around plus not able to talk, she couldn't carry the movie on her own.
Shia at lest had Optimus Prime around, so he could have an intelligent conversation with a Transformer. Also, Sam's journey in ROTF was epic.

Neither Hailee nor Bumblebee had any epic vibe.
Charlie’s story arc was very well thought out and defined compared to Sam’s in film one. Now, her story is not Transformers related which is likely your critcism, but her journey in the film was perfectly executed.

Every dot connected in her plot, from the issues of having lost her father to the desire to get freedom from her mother and step father over those issues. The reasons why she got interested in fixing cars, due to lasting memories from doing things with her father.

Sam was a rich kid from the suburbs that wanted to get laid. There was nothing else there. And I loved Shia, he was extremely fun - just shallow.

I also think you are selling the Transformers content of the film slightly short. Where Charlie and Bee had their story unfolding we got a ton of scenes with Shatter and Dropkick.

These Decepticons got significant screen time and specific personaity traits. Even Blitzwing’s brief role gave him an interesting personality, that of a military tracker and enforcer of a sort of actual Cybertronian government.

I think the critcism of the Decepticons not getting named is accurate though.

Lastly, I think criticisms of the continuity issues are extremely valid as well. As I say it didn’t bother me as I view this as a soft reboot and am expecting changes for that reason. I think anyone who knows the Bay films know this was meant as a slight reboot reguardless of the out of universe statements from the producers and Hasbro.

But if you critcize the continuity issues in the film heavily, while cheering the Cybertron scenes(which are as big if not a bigger hole in the continuity of the Bayverse) - lets just say I find that to be a bit of hypocritical cherry picking

I’m honestly surprised you found so many things to like the the Bay films, but seemed to find almost nothing you enjoyed in this one.

This movie is The Girl Who Loves Powerglide compared to Transformers the Movie 1986.........relatively speaking. I think one can make arguements both were bad on individual merit, but I don’t feel one should take Girl Who Loves Powerglide and imply it is bad because it isn’t the 1986 film.

They were meant to be two very different stories set in roughly the same universe.

Visit the official TFcon Toronto website for all the details!
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 06:01 PM   #29
Pascal
Banned

Saw it for the 2nd time last night, liked it even more. I particularly liked:

-Bee's alt mode
-the various incomplete transformations, including the compressed car mode!
-Bee's head design (especially his eyes, very expressive)
-Bee's battle mask (all kinds of awesome with the Bee vision)
-Shatter (my favorite villain in the franchise so far... she's vicious!)
-the numerous on-screen transformations (all clear and in your face)
-the humor
-Charlie
-The Touch
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 06:09 PM   #30
OptimusB38
Optimus B

I thought it was great, also thinking for a second viewing. My kids and I liked it
OptimusB38 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bumblebee, film, review bumblebee, spoilers