Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 07-12-2015, 12:09 AM   #31
JohnathanKong
Generation 2
Re: Fans Toys FT-09 Tesla (Masterpiece Perceptor)

Hey Guys,

Just wanted to let you know that I managed to fix my stress marks on my Tesla. Since mine didn't crack, I dipped the parts in boiling water and it made the stress marks go away. After that I was REALLY careful on how I screwed it in. I managed to get it tightened properly and now it looks great.

It's odd because I was doing the arm replacement on Quakewave and I had the EXACT same problem. I couldn't believe it. I managed to fix those stress marks with boiling water too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	29164   Click image for larger version

Name:	fixedUntitled.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	29165  
JohnathanKong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 02:49 AM   #32
MULTIPLEX
DECEPTICON BEATDOWN TIME!

Thanks for sharing. How long were they submerged in the water and can you explain what you mean by being careful? Is there something specific you did? I'm thinking I want to change out the parts too. Muted blue seems more satisfying to me. But I won't know till it's in hand next weekend.
MULTIPLEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 09:14 AM   #33
JohnathanKong
Generation 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MULTIPLEX View Post
Thanks for sharing. How long were they submerged in the water and can you explain what you mean by being careful? Is there something specific you did? I'm thinking I want to change out the parts too. Muted blue seems more satisfying to me. But I won't know till it's in hand next weekend.
I dipped it for about 10 seconds each time because I didn't know what to expect. I boiled the water over the stove and left the stove on while dipping the part being careful not to touch the metal; not too sure if it would have warped the plastic.

As for "being careful", I screwed the screws in VERY slowly while paying attention for any stress marks that may be created.
JohnathanKong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 04:56 PM   #34
MULTIPLEX

OK peeps. Here is my short an dirty about Tesla.

It rocks. I didn't expect much cause it seemed rushed but this one took me by surprise. Great figure, great quality, great face sculpt. No issues. But damn the stock blue was way too bright. Why they would choose with blue is beyond me So I switched them out with the muted blue parts they so kindly included. MUCH BETTER.

I don't agree that the plastic quality of the muted blue is cheaper. It's the same. Mine never stressed. I do, however, have some suggestions if you want to switch the blue parts...
  • Like others have said, pre-screw so you ensure the screw is going in straight. Take your time.
  • There is one screw on each leg that is NOT the same as the rest. It is pointed and it is a smaller diameter thread. So make sure you keep track of which screw goes where cause it matters.
  • Do not over tighten.
  • Use precision screwdrivers. Make sure the width of the screwdriver tip is not wider than the screw hole. Cause all the screws are deep set and you will cause the plastic around the screws to be stressed or stripped as you drive the screw in deep. I had the use a narrower slot screwdriver once it got a closer to the end to avoid scraping the plastic.

SHEDDING MY SKIN

I give you...PERCEPTOR

Last edited by MULTIPLEX; 07-20-2015 at 05:03 PM.
Old 07-22-2015, 11:54 AM   #35
innermanchild
Robot in Disguise

Can anyone suggest a precision screwdriver kit or will any kit from Canadian Tire/Home Depot work? Just wondering if there's a kit out there that I can pick up for this and all future needs.
innermanchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 12:49 PM   #36
Rodimus Prime1
Ride in Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by innermanchild View Post
Can anyone suggest a precision screwdriver kit or will any kit from Canadian Tire/Home Depot work? Just wondering if there's a kit out there that I can pick up for this and all future needs.
I use a combo of these in my customizing. The important thing is to use the on that fits the screw the best and has the right clearence

This last one is from the dollar store I use for general screw loosening

Wants: >

Feedback

Collection
Rodimus Prime1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 04:40 PM   #37
MULTIPLEX

Quote:
Originally Posted by innermanchild View Post
The best option would be a JIS screwdriver set if you can get a hold one. I ordered a set off eBay the other day for future parts swapping.
Old 07-22-2015, 07:02 PM   #38
innermanchild
Robot in Disguise

I picked up a standard kit which had a thicker handle. I had a set of those thin ones, but it wasn't easy to get a decent grip and sometimes I would just strip the screw. The new one worked great, just wish it was magnetic...should have looked into that. Anyway, love my not Perceptor! Now I need to determine where in my shelf he goes....ahhhh 1st world problems

innermanchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 07:59 PM   #39
Mega-Prime 316
Cybertron

On my shelf he stands beside Blaster(KFC Transistor).
Mega-Prime 316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 09:56 PM   #40
MULTIPLEX

Went with white Autobot symbol like in the cartoon from Reprolabels.