Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 06-26-2014, 01:01 AM   #11
CanBot
Cybertron
Re: Tips and Tricks for Selling at TFCon

Are there any of these conventions in the Vancouver area?
Old 06-26-2014, 03:29 AM   #12
The 12th Prime
Lost count, long time ago
The 12th Prime's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtkv View Post
Here's a buyers tip:
Offer reasonable prices! :-)
I think your doing well, lol.

What Goaliebot said, too. I like buying things knowing the price upfront and sell them the same way. I don't like asking for prices but have gotten lucky when I did once.

Last edited by The 12th Prime; 06-26-2014 at 03:43 AM. Reason: Part II
The 12th Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 07:29 AM   #13
justprime
Animated

Know your merchandise... that sets the price, be prepared to comprimise, have consideration to other dealers you may want something they have, be firm if you believe thats the price you want, be prepared to take it back home ( personaly I don't mind bringing it back to sit in the collection as the sales fund that and theres always another day) and above all be kind even to the people that give you grief
justprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 12:04 AM   #14
Xtreme987
Metroplex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goaliebot View Post
I fully expect to see $15 Beast Hunters Deluxes, and I completely expect to see them not sell all day.
I fully agree with this because I own almost all the BH deluxes & I know what they go for @ Walmart ... so I won't pay $15 for something I know I can get elsewhere for $5.

Last edited by Xtreme987; 07-05-2014 at 08:19 PM.
Xtreme987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 07:19 PM   #15
HybridHero
Generation 1

Wow, thanks for all the tips! I had a lot of that planned already (the buddy system, bags, prices on everything), but it's nice to hear confirmation. I liked the fishing line idea, but it becomes unwieldy with ~400 bags.

I have one last specific question, especially for anyone who's already been a dealer: what's a good amount of money to have on hand for change? I always see people scrambling for 5s early on, don't want to be in the same boat.

Thanks again!
HybridHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 08:19 PM   #16
QuadESL63
Canadian Slag

I am a newbie too When I got my table @ 80's Toy Expo I got $500 worth of $20, $10 and $5 and around $100 loonies, toonies, quarters, etc. Seems to work out fine.

BTW the 8 feet table may not be big enough for all the for sell items if you only payed for one spot. Get one or two of those cheap plastic shelves from CanTire., etc. for, say, your pricer stuffs.

Looking for:
  • Nothing... spent too much lately

Last edited by QuadESL63; 07-05-2014 at 08:31 PM.
QuadESL63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 08:31 PM   #17
elburrito
Animated

I've only vendored 1 show 2x. In addition to the other advice here, I find the following helps, use price stickers and plan your display ahead of time. Bring a couple things to give to kids. Be friendly and helpful. Definitely bring a 2nd pair of eyes.

Oh, and make your purchase decisions and ideally purchases during set up before the show. That way you won't be distracted during the show and the little bundle of new toy goodness under the table will make it easy to be friendly and helpful.

Sale & Trade

Last edited by elburrito; 07-05-2014 at 08:34 PM.
elburrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 09:55 AM   #18
teruo313
Beasty

Just to add a bit to what others have said.

I've done TFcon the last 2 years and will be doing it again this year. The main thing and really your starting point should be to decide what you want to get out of this. What's your goal? For some dealers they go to every convention in the city so price wise they won't be as willing to go down because they can keep stock for the next con.

For guys like me my goal is to not come back home with anything. Most of the figures are from my personal collection that I have been unloading the last 2 cons.

So for me, I price it reasonable at the start with a little room for haggling. By the end though I do discount a good bit especially when people offer to buy multiples.

Sure for some figures I could probably get more if sold on eBay or even on the bst here, but that involves a lot more work to do so I often would just be willing to sell it for a little less at the con (within reason of course).
teruo313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 11:41 AM   #19
mastereh
Generation 2

So what are some tips for buying at TFCon? This will be my first time there on Sunday.
mastereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 11:55 AM   #20
laffy
Crossover

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastereh View Post
So what are some tips for buying at TFCon? This will be my first time there on Sunday.
bring your smart phone and do your research, I have found in the past that most dealers will jack up their prices to try to make a couple more bucks or to leave some room to haggle the price down.. DO NOT PAY ASKING PRICE unless its a good deal... other than that have fun and make a budget , I also take a set amount of cash in with me and leave my debit and credit cards in the car so its not easy to just hit the atm
laffy is offline   Reply With Quote