Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers Feedback and Reviews

Old 04-13-2014, 07:18 PM   #1
Longshot
Pretender
Maketoys Trash-Talk and Cogwheel review

When I first saw the preorders for this set I immediately jumped on it like white on rice. Here is one of my favourite Lost Light crew members (really the entire crew is pretty awesome) made with his characteristic smile serving drinks and basically enjoying himself. This is a good-looking figure.

The simple brown cardboard covering is to protect the actually packaging, similar to FansProject clear plastic box for their bots.

M.F.B. (My First Blaster) had easy to read instructions in regards to its assembly. There was no fancy packaging, just some poly bags holding the sprues with the MFB parts.

The main package holds Trash-Talk (Swerve) and Cogwheel (Gears), weapons, drink tray with drinking glasses, an interchangeable head for Swerve and Gears, and the instructions manual.

The weapons and drink tray can be mounted on the bots alt modes.

According to the Tuna Standard, they are a bit under the three can mark and weigh in at under half a can of tuna.

Continued...
Longshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 07:19 PM   #2
Longshot
Pretender
Re: Maketoys Trash-Talk and Cogwheel review

Trash-Talk and Hasbro Swerve are almost similar in size. And if I had to choose one to go on a quest with me, it would be a decision fraught with sleepless nights and crying but ultimately I would settle with Trash-Talk. Don't get me wrong, Swerve is also excellent but Trash-Talk has a little something more that stands out to me in my mind. But really you can't go wrong with either in your collection.
The drinking glasses are nicely detailed with some sort of colouring to make it look like there is a liquid in it. Major props if they had included some sort of actual liquid in the glasses.
As for the alternate heads, I wasn't able to remove the original heads from the body. I tried using as much force as I was comfortable with applying but they would not budge. Maybe another collector will have better luck.

Overall, this is a great set and the MFB puts a really nice touch on Trash-Talk. I wish Maketoys had included it with the main set but sadly it will cost you another $13 USD for the honour.
The plastic is good as evidenced by me trying to take the heads off the bots and not leaving any stress marks in the wake. Both Trash-Talk and Cogwheel feel nice in hand and the transformation isn't complicated. The added drink tray and glasses makes a good set an excellent set. And really, you can't go wrong with picking this one up.

Last edited by Longshot; 04-13-2014 at 07:33 PM.
Old 04-13-2014, 07:25 PM   #3
typev3
@VinceSanchez

Man, I've been really tempted by this set but I can't justify paying that much for just Swerve. :/

Cool review!
Old 04-13-2014, 07:25 PM   #4
Slayback
Animated

Odd. I was told that the gun is supposed to part of the set. If you had to buy the gun separately ...well then you bought it separately.

feedback :http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=31815
Slayback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 07:26 PM   #5
Nullray
IGC

I ordered those last night. I didn't get the MFB though. I didn't realize it came on a sprue as well. Good photo review and they do look very cool. Can't wait
Nullray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 07:27 PM   #6
Sun Swipe Prime
Canadian Slag

If you can't afford Trash-Talk, Swerve is a decent figure. But what sets Trash-Talk apart is that it captures the character's personality better. That was the deciding factor to me. Trash-Talk looked just a little more fun.

As for taking off the head, you have to undo the screws. DO NOT try to pull it off the balljoint. You'll break the toy.
Old 04-13-2014, 07:32 PM   #7
Longshot
Pretender

I thought I had to remove the screw too, but the instruction manual says you can just pop the head off.
Old 04-13-2014, 07:36 PM   #8
Slayback
Animated

just loosen the screw a bit so there's wiggle room. the stupid screw is small enough that you dont need it dropping somewhere.

feedback :http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=31815
Slayback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 07:51 PM   #9
Longshot
Pretender

Thanks. I blame my strict adherence to the instruction manual (a little bit anyhow).

Last edited by Longshot; 04-14-2014 at 11:12 AM.
Old 04-13-2014, 07:59 PM   #10
lavaller
Generation 1

i cant wait for my set too come in, great review
lavaller is offline   Reply With Quote