Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 08-16-2010, 08:16 AM   #1
pdaaat
Generation 1
Tips for Selling a Collection

So, I think I am selling my collection. Not because I hate Transformers or have anything to rant about. I'll still be buying the odd ones. It's just a matter of having two large plastic bins sitting in the basement gathering dust (they were on display until reno 6.0 or whatever we are at started).

Anyhow, I've got stuff that spans from G1 to present. I'm keeping a few sentimental pieces as is my son but everything else goes. Even the Marvel Comics.

I don't expect a lot but not interested in giving it away for nothing. SO what's the best way to move it? eBay? My local comic ship will likely take it and that will be the most painless way just perhaps the simplest.

On a side note, I will be clearing out many comics as well - and these things are towards a goal. You see, my childhood buddy is more into SW than I and he wants to get Stormtrooper armour (looks to be about $750 US) and go to a show for our 40th b-day. It may be pathetic, but it's how we will celebrating the passing of any semblance of youth.

Any and all tips would be appreciated.
pdaaat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 08:29 AM   #2
UltraMarknus
Springer Fanboy
UltraMarknus's Ebay Auctions
Re: Tips for Selling a Collection

Selling off to a comic shop is definately the quick way but will most likely bring in the least money.

Making a thread here may move a few things but you would have to determine selling prices. Most stuff probably wont move too fast unless its cheap or in demand.

Listing them on eBay will get you the best return and guarentee a sale. But it takes the most upfront work (images and text for the auction) and you have fees to consider.

So, if you don't care about "fair market value" and want it gone quick...take them to the comic shop.

If you aren't in a rush and have an idea of what you want for them, list here.

If you want the most money back and are willing/have the time to put in the work upfront...eBay.

I sell most items on eBay myself, but I have had some luck on here as well.

My Feedback Thread: http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showt...t=ultramarknus
UltraMarknus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 08:34 AM   #3
brr-icy
G1 Collector
Send a message via MSN to brr-icy

separately on ebay is the best bet for the most return, if you make a sales thread here, i would only have it up for a week or so, and let people know that, so the high in demand items go quick, it'll save you some ebay fees, but you won't have to wait a year to sell it if they know there is only a week to get them.

my collection ^ Brr-icy Photgraphy on Facebook
Mostly G1 Japan Want list My Blog
my feedback:
Cybertron.ca
TFW
brr-icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 08:55 AM   #4
herooftheday316
Energon

You are talking to people who collect and buy transformers all the time. I doubt any of us are going to consider Stromtrooper armour pathetic. It would be pretty hypocritical.

As for selling, here is what I have observed so far (I haven't sold anything yet, but you can tell from buying :P)

Your options for selling the whole thing are sites like BBTS.com, TFsource.com and Transformerland.com. Or your local comic book shop. Problem is, from what I can tell is this is where you would make the least amount of money as a whole. Depending on the place this can be EXTREMELY annoying especially if you sell something to them for 15 and see them selling it for 45.

You can do eBay. This will most likely net you the most money if you do not sell it as a lot but break it up into individual lots with one ore 2 rare wanted figures in each. But you will have to deal with eBay costs, eBay buyers and this will be very time consuming.

The best way, I think, to get the mix of good money and ease of transaction is to sell your collection on the boards. Though it may be more time consuming then selling the whole thing as a whole, you can make more money this way. Another big factor for me, especially as someone who loves my collection, is that more than likely is that a board member is less likely to be buying it to sell it for more late and turn a profit. The toys that you loved will be well taken care of. If I ever sell mine, I want it to be to someone who still loves transformers and will cherish them they way I did.

Or you can sell them all to me for a rediculously cheap price. lol

They are all good options j/k :P

I am sure other will give awesome advise from experience.

-Mike
________
Bondage live

Last edited by herooftheday316; 08-22-2011 at 01:27 AM.
herooftheday316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 09:13 AM   #5
Bruticus82
Fortress Maximus

Yeah, I can't really add anything other than, it really depends on what your objective is. It's a sliding scale and on one hand we have "selling them quickly" and on the other we have "making the most money". I think, since there are only two rubbermaid containers, that you aren't in too much of a rush to free up that space, especially since it sounds like they've been there a while. At the same time it sounds like you'd like some money to go towards your stormtrooper armour.

FYI: Apparently the comics do not typically sell for very much, at least that's the impression I've received from previous posts I've seen on here.

1. Combiner Wars Devastator
2. 25th Anniversary Unicron (MISB)
3. DOTM Takara Vortex (MOSC)
+ and more!

Looking to buy:
1. G1 Pretender Groundbreaker

My Feedback Thread

Avatar Image by the talented Ninjatron!
Bruticus82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 10:10 AM   #6
Cheers Ian
twitter @cheersian

If you can wait, I'd suggest getting a table at the next TFcon.

You'll be able to move most of your inventory of Transformers in one day if they are priced fairly.

If not, I'd suggest putting a sales list up here for a couple of weeks and then eBay the rest.

Cheers!
-Ian
Old 08-16-2010, 10:13 AM   #7
Pascal
Banned

1. Sell me your G1 Rodimus Prime if you have one.
2. Sell the rest here or on TFW2005.
3. Sell what's left as a big lot to BBTS. A little money is still better than no money.
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 10:35 AM   #8
pdaaat
Generation 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
1. Sell me your G1 Rodimus Prime if you have one.
2. Sell the rest here or on TFW2005.
3. Sell what's left as a big lot to BBTS. A little money is still better than no money.
Sorry - sold G1 Rodimus Prime and abput 20 others about 12 years ago.
pdaaat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 11:55 AM   #9
JLvatron
Chosen 1

I agree on most of what's said here.
Priorities would be:

1- Sell at TFcon (biggest chance to get rid of most in 1 weekend, and no shipping involved. But you have to wait till next year)

2- Sell the rest on the boards here, for a limited time (individual shippings to deal with, paypal fees)

3- EBay (best prices, but you have setup prices, paypal fees, plus some winners don't go through with the deal. Also individual shippings to deal with)

4- Sell what's left to your local comic store (simple, but lowest yield)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdaaat View Post
Exeter! Are you a Robotix fan?

JLvatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 12:18 PM   #10
GMfan
Robot in Disguise

There's the Action Figure Expo you could get a table at, which is coming up in October since TFcon is going to be abouts a year away

Canadian Slag ...it's a podcast. About robits. Listen to it...cuz you can't watch it.
GMfan is offline   Reply With Quote